Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Charging one camera with two solar panels

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Jbreynol
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have a camera in a tree that I can't keep charged with a single solar panel due to shade. Has anyone tried linking a single Arlo to two solar panels?
3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Not to my knowledge... main issue would be keeping all waterproof connection.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Jbreynol
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yeah, I was wondering about that. Thought I'd use some weatherproof caulk to seal everything together. The only thing I haven't found yet is a good splitter to join everything up.
thelastosirus
Tutor
Tutor

The issue is probably not with the single solar panel, but with a firmware issue. I made my own solar charger using a raw panel, rectifier diode, and weatherproof USB cable. Basically what I have found is the cameras must go into some sort of high-power mode as if an actual USB charger is plugged in. The problem is when the sun goes down, the camera drains at an excessive rate which will flatten the battery almost overnight. I initially thought the rectifier diode had failed (and the solar panel was back-draining the battery at night) but I replaced this with a confirmed good one and the issue remains. So this is simply a firmware issue that needs fixing. I will attempt to solve it myself by using the solar power to "latch" a transistor closed, and when the sun goes down enough (and power is lost), the transistor will open making the camera "think" nothing is plugged in. While this won't solve the high power usage when the sun is up, it might work good enough provided my panel has a high enough output.

But my solution is way beyond what a typical owner can do and rightfully so. The Arlo ecosystem supposed to just work...Right? 

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation