Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 23 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Chris67
Luminary
Luminary

Just as soon as previous problems with blank boxes appearing in Library and Live Feeds had been resolved and everything was working as it should, yet another problem with viewing Live Feeds has been introduced. It is never ending and I am so fed up with Arlo and wish I had never purchased this lemon and the unstable systems that it relies on.

When I go to view live feeds in Chrome browser, the old warning appears "A newer version of Chrome is available please download from here". I have allowed flash in Chrome. I click on the download button and try to install in Chrome (I know Chrome has its own built-in version of Flash) the installation gets to 50% and cannot proceed further.  I now cannot view Live Feeds in Chrome.

Using Firefox for Live Feeds the old warning appears "A newer version of Chrome is available please download from here". I click on the download button and install the latest version of Flash. I still cannot view Live Feeds in Firefox.

Arlo: HW VersionVMB4000r3  Firmware1.14.1.1_2913_78b189a

Chrome: Version 78.0.3904.70 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Firefox: Version 70.0 (64 bit)

Adobe Flash: Version 32.0.0.270

Now I can't even post to the forum as at 02.40 GMT on 29-10-19 "There was an error while attempting to post your message. Try again in a few minutes". Live Chat is also unavailable. 

From my experience so far with this relatively expensive product, Arlo are clearly in breach of Australian Consumer Law. The Arlo Security System that I purchased doesn't work as a reasonable person would expect it to work nor as Arlo warrants it to work.

23 REPLIES 23
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Chris67 wrote:

Using Firefox for Live Feeds the old warning appears "A newer version of Chrome is available please download from here". I click on the download button and install the latest version of Flash. I still cannot view Live Feeds in Firefox.

I suspect that you mean "A newer version of Adobe Flash Player is required..." or something similar. Whatever you see, it is a misleading message, as has been said here many times before. 

You do not have to install anything. You do have to go to the address bar in Firefox, look at the icons to the left and click the one that looks like a Lego brick.

Flashicon.jpg

Then tell it to allow Flash to do its thing.

Unfortunately, this setting does not stick in Firefox. You have to do it every time you use the browser.

Firefox is not the only browser that has been steadily ratcheting up "security" and forcing users to jump through hoops to use Flash. (You can read about these in other messages here.) Some even warn that Flash will die completely next year. With luck, Arlo will have moved away from Flash by the time that this happens. As yet, I have seen no hint of when this might happen.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Chris67
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks michaelkenward. Yes I meant to post "A newer version of Adobe Flash Player (NOT Chrome) is required". If I click the lock icon in the address in Chrome and allow flash I still can't get past the "A newer version of Adobe Flash Player is required" message to view Live Feeds in Chrome.

In Firefox I hadn't noticed that the "Manage plug-in use" icon appeared in the address bar after I had clicked Live Feeds and the "A newer version of Adobe Flash Player is required" message came up. By clicking to allow Flash, I can now view Live feeds in Firefox but I first have to close out of Devices, go into Library and then back to Devices before Live Feed works. CRAZY! 

Chris67
Luminary
Luminary
On my desktop running Windows 10 Arlo: HW VersionVMB4000r3 Firmware1.14.1.1_2913_78b189a OS: Windows 10 Pro Version 1903 OS Build 18362.418. Chrome: Version 78.0.3904.70 (Official Build) (64-bit) Firefox: Version 70.0 (64 bit) Adobe Flash: Version 32.0.0.270 Using Chrome browser and logging in to my.arlo.com I click on the padlock in the address bar and click on allow flash. I go to Site Settings – Permissions and it shows “Flash Allow”. I go to Advanced – Privacy and Security – Site Settings – Permissions – Flash and it shows “Block Sites from running Flash (recommended)” as Off and “Allow” as https://my.arlo.com:443 . All looks good although I don’t know what the 443 in the URL represents. Back in my.arlo.com I click the padlock again and it shows Flash as allowed. I then click on Live Feed and am presented with “A newer version of Adobe Flash Player is required. Please install the latest version from here” in the Live Feed box. I click on here and am taken to the website get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ to download the latest version of flash. I know that Chrome has its own built-in version of flash so no point in installing this. Anyway I already have the latest version of flash installed on my computer. I press the back button to get back to my.arlo and find that I am logged out and have to start the whole process again. There is no way I can get past “A newer version of Adobe Flash Player is required. Please install the latest version from here” to view Live Feeds in Chrome Browser. Using Firefox browser and logging in to my.arlo.com In Firefox I click on Live Feed and am presented with “A newer version of Adobe Flash Player is required. Please install the latest version from here”. At the same time an icon appears in the address bar to "Manage plug-in use". I click on the icon to allow Flash. I am still presented with “A newer version of Adobe Flash Player is required. Please install the latest version from here” in the Live Feed box. In order to view a Live Feed I have to back out of Devices by going to Library or Mode etc. and then back to Devices in order to get rid of “A newer version of Adobe Flash Player is required” message. I can then view Live Feeds in Firefox. Android App Works as expected
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Chris67 wrote:

If I click the lock icon in the address in Chrome and allow flash I still can't get past the "A newer version of Adobe Flash Player is required" message to view Live Feeds in Chrome.

You need to dismiss the window that pops up on the image with that message. Click the "X" at the top right-hand corner and press Live again.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Chris67
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks michaelkenward you have been most helpful but that didn't work for me. However, what I was missing was a message that appeared in Chrome (after I allow flash through the lock key icon) showing "To apply updated settings to this site, reload this page" with a reload button. When I press the reload button it logs me out and I have to log back in again. When I log back in again and press Live Feed, I can then view my Live Feeds.

This has to be done every time I wish to view Live Feeds as Chrome does not permanently save the setting. In effect it is a laborious process and impractical.Arlo Reload.JPG

Chris67
Luminary
Luminary

Picture not showing in my post. May have been too large. I'll try a smaller one.Arlo Reload 1.jpg

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Chris67 wrote:

This has to be done every time I wish to view Live Feeds as Chrome does not permanently save the setting.

Actually in Chrome the setting is somewhat sticky.  At least I don't always need to enable it when I log in.  But I don't know exactly what rules Chrome is applying (and IMO the issue with permanent saving site settings is a bug in Chrome).

Chris67
Luminary
Luminary

StevenB wrote "But I don't know exactly what rules Chrome is applying (and IMO the issue with permanent saving site settings is a bug in Chrome).

I don't think it is a "bug" in Chrome. I think it is intentional by Google to cause as much inconvenience as possible in order to transition sites (like Arlo} away from Flash and to use htlm5. Irritation by customers and their feedback to companies still using flash puts pressure on them to transition.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Chris67 wrote:

I don't think it is a "bug" in Chrome. I think it is intentional by Google to cause as much inconvenience as possible in order to transition sites (like Arlo} away from Flash and to use htlm5. Irritation by customers and their feedback to companies still using flash puts pressure on them to transition.

Well, only Google can say for sure.  But I think if your theory were correct, the control wouldn't be sticky at all.  And it is somewhat sticky for me.  Also, the obvious consequence is that some people will simply switch browsers - which is not something they want to happen.

Whether intentional or not, IMO it is still a bug when a site-specific setting isn't consistently applied (no matter what that setting is).

Hopefully Arlo will transition fairly soon.

Chris67
Luminary
Luminary

StephenB wrote: Whether intentional or not, IMO it is still a bug when a site-specific setting isn't consistently applied (no matter what that setting is).

Unfortunately, I am not so lucky and don’t have a “bug” in Chrome. With me Chrome is not somewhat sticky and consistently requires me to run through the same hoops to view Live Feeds in Windows 10. ”Allow Flash”, “Reload” and then login to my.arlo again. On subsequent occasions when I wish to view Live Feeds through Chrome in my.arlo I have to go through the same procedure again - ”Allow Flash”, “Reload” and re-sign into my.arlo. In fact there is a notice in Chrome’s Settings - Privacy & Security - Flash that states: “Your Flash settings will be kept until you quit Chrome”. In other words Google intends that my Flash settings will be lost when I quit Chrome (as indeed they are) and I have to go through the aforementioned tedious procedure on every separate occasion that I wish to View Live Feeds.

Chrome Flash.JPG

Firefox is a little bit easier in that I don’t have to login to my.arlo again.

I am with you in the hope that Arlo will make the complete transition to html5 soon as web browsers are making it harder to view flash based applications. If Arlo would provide a timeline this would ease my frustration somewhat.

Arlo Pro. VMB 4000. Firmware1.14.1.1_2913_78b189a OS:

Windows 10 Pro Version 1903 OS Build 18362.418.

Chrome: Version 78.0.3904.87 (Official Build) (64-bit) 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Chris67 wrote:

In fact there is a notice in Chrome’s Settings - Privacy & Security - Flash that states: “Your Flash settings will be kept until you quit Chrome”.

I'd missed that message - though IMO it's still a bug (Google doing it intentionally makes it a design bug).  FWIW, I don't quite Chrome very often.

In any event, I don't think we disagree on anything substantial.

carsoncat
Apprentice
Apprentice

There is no solution to this problem. But to avoid having to sign back in after you "allow" flash in the lock icon, there is a tiny shortcut.  When you click on your desktop shortcut, or whatever you do, to take you to the Arlo site......don't sign on.  Go directly to the lock icon and "allow" flash.  Then do the "reload" it asks for.  Now sign on....only once for the period you are going to view your videos.

The Arlo system is great in spurts......but a disaster 75% of the time.

Chris67
Luminary
Luminary

Good advice that is a partial work-around. I just wish Arlo would get rid of their annoying popups promoting their upgrade offerings as I try to view my library. Concentrate on customer convenience & satisfaction instead of always looking to squeeze an extra $ out of them. 

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Chris67 wrote:

I just wish Arlo would get rid of their annoying popups promoting their upgrade offerings as I try to view my library.

What popups are these? If you mean the "Flash" warnings in your browser, they have nothing to do with Arlo.

Just another user
Chris67
Luminary
Luminary

I mean these which I have to dismiss every time I go to view my library

Arlo popup 1.JPGArlo popup 2.JPG

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

We will have to wait for an Arlo moderator to approve you pictures.

Just another user
carsoncat
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wait until one of the Arlo geniuses, in some far away country that I probably can't pronounce, tells you that to fix your problem you should cancel your services with Arlo and then immediately reinstate them.  Bring in the clowns...............you will find you cannot get back into your previous services at the same price.  You are now starting over at a whole new price structure.  And some people think Arlo is not that smart.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Chris67 wrote:

I mean these which I have to dismiss every time I go to view my library ...

I agree they shouldn't be showing those over and over.  

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

Indeed. But I never see them.

Just another user
mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

I get these same messages. Meanwhile if you have an Arlo bridge, the App still doesn't show the Schedule mode when you select it, a bug that has been around longer than I can remember. Good times.

Chris67
Luminary
Luminary

Miraculously these popups have disappeared for me as of today. Let's hope that it is not the lull before the storm of another barrage of popups.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Chris67 wrote:

Miraculously ...

Nah. Telepathy or the power of positive thinking.

Just another user
Zardos2017
Aspirant
Aspirant

I sympathsize with that other Australian guy - feeling very frustrated re setup - have a sense of "money gouging" towards arlo - 2 screw mounts and two idiot "steal me now" magnetic mounts only in a 4 cam set - one lousy recharge cable...

setup issues -.. a looping install flash issue after installing flash and even after enabling in firefox - one cam won't play live - the subscription - a huge sense of being stuffed around and ripped off....

Discussion stats
  • 23 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation