Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can you use the base station on WIFI only without using an ethernet cord?

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
vnicolas
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can you use the base station on WIFI only without using an ethernet cord? I was told it is wireless but now says I have to connect to a router with an ethernet cord. I do not have a router.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@vnicolas wrote:

I live in my motorhome and travel so when we stop we use the park network, so we go to available networks, enter the park password and we are connected. OR - if they do not offer free wifi, then I use my mobile hotspot that i purchased through my local cell phone carrier. So do I need to add a wireless access point or a router? ! 

What you need is a way to connect the base station to the internet via ethernet.

A WISP (travel) router is probably the best option.  This can be set up to connect through either your hotspot or to the park wifi.  One inexpensive option is the Trendnet TL-WR802N.  You can connect the base station up to the router's ethernet port.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

No...but you could use a WiFi extender that has an Ethernet port

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

How do you get your Internet? Is there a modem of some sort?

Do you have wifi? If so something has to deliver it. Usually a router or a combined modem/router.

Whatever you have, you need something to feed an Ethernet port.

A wifi extender also needs wifi and that usually comes from a router.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
vnicolas
Aspirant
Aspirant

I live in my motorhome and travel so when we stop we use the park network, so we go to available networks, enter the park password and we are connected. OR - if they do not offer free wifi, then I use my mobile hotspot that i purchased through my local cell phone carrier. So do I need to add a wireless access point or a router? and don't they have to be connected somehow to a wired connection ? I am so confused!!! 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@vnicolas wrote:

I live in my motorhome and travel so when we stop we use the park network, so we go to available networks, enter the park password and we are connected. OR - if they do not offer free wifi, then I use my mobile hotspot that i purchased through my local cell phone carrier. So do I need to add a wireless access point or a router? ! 

What you need is a way to connect the base station to the internet via ethernet.

A WISP (travel) router is probably the best option.  This can be set up to connect through either your hotspot or to the park wifi.  One inexpensive option is the Trendnet TL-WR802N.  You can connect the base station up to the router's ethernet port.

vnicolas
Aspirant
Aspirant

Stephen - This looks like it might actually work. Going to do some more research but thank you. I have spent 2 days on this, 5-6 calls. talked to Netgear, Arlo support, Best Buy, geek squad, my son, sprint....i'm exhausted. I really hope this works

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@vnicolas wrote:

Stephen - This looks like it might actually work.

I own the Trendnet TL-WR802N - it's been out for some years.  Though I haven't needed to use it for a while.  There are other WISP models out there (including the Netgear PR2000 and a newer model from RAVpower called the Filehub) - though they aren't as popular now as they were a few years ago.

What you'd do is connect a laptop (or maybe a phone/tablet) to it's local wifi when you are in a new location.  Then configure it to connect to the local ISP (or your hotspot).  That should give you an internet connection.  Then connect the base to the ethernet port, and you are good to go.  You can also connect other devices to the WISP router's wifi, which could be convenient (no need to change their network settings).

There are some caveats - some free wifi setups will check to see that the device connecting to them is a PC, tablet, or phone.  They might not allow the router to connect.  Also, if the free wifi times out after a while, you'll lose the internet connection, and you will need to reconnect it. 

Also, if you are using your hotspot it would be easiest to set up the router (or change it's internet connection) using a different device.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation