Arlo Pro 2; Firmware: 188.8.131.52_3563_6cd3d19; Apple IOS 14.0.1
Moved a camera to a new location and tried to rename it. In the app, as soon as I change the name and hit save, it immediately reverts back to the original name.
Using the website, I change the name and save it, all looks good until I log out and then log in again, name has reverted to original.
What I've tried:
Removing camera battery, reinstalling batter, and re-syncing - no good.
Removed the camera, removed battery, re-installed the battery, added new device (camera), changed name from default (Camera) to new name. Same as above - no good.
Completely rebooted the base. Added base serial number back to my account (it gets removed when you reboot). Tried renaming both ways listed above, same thing.
Does anyone have any ideas?
I am having the same problem. I have an open case on the issue.
I have 2 bases, the original have no problem with renaming. The new base install
a few weeks ago will not save the name changes.
I switched locations with a newer camera and an older one so the newer one was in my high traffic area (Driveway). I renamed the "new" camera "Driveway", so that left me with two cameras named Driveway (I can't remember name of the "new" camera before I made the switch). So, then I wanted to change the "old" Driveway camera to "Deck." I also tried other names as well. I sent a screenshot video demonstrating, per your instructions.
If you want to look at case notes my case number is 41943141.
I have removed cameras and reinstalled them and they revert back to original name. I remove all cameras and base for 24 hours and reinstalled all, the camera
names revert back to original name. If I login to the web sight I can change the names and it will change the name until I log out. When I login again the names revert back. All cameras were set up and named with the Arlo app.
I use a iPad iOS 14.1 and all the updated Arlo app.
I've already tried that, and based on Red33's comments, that doesn't solve the problem. BTW, I've also had issues with my camera's NOT recording motion. This morning, I opened my garage door, backed out my vehicle, and left for work. Nothing was caught on camera. I verified that the camera is on, and it recorded a couple of things up until around 11 pm. This has happened off and on. I have 4 cameras, and I've only noticed with the one in my driveway primarily because I know there is activity there that is not being recorded. It may be happening with the other 3 as well, but movement in those locations is not as routine.
As best as I can tell, both of these issues have taken place since 2-factor authentication began. I believe you have a firmware issue that needs corrections.
I am having the same issue with my Arlo Pro cameras. I have tried everything in the previous post along with deleting and reinstalling the app on my phone. Nothing has worked.
The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue with renaming devices. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.
I have two base stations link by grant access, today I removed the grant access and moved two cameras from one base to another. When I reinstall the cameras
the Arlo app ask for names and held the new names. I linked the base together and they held the new names. Not sure what changed, but now I can change names on cameras.