Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Urgent: Activate Two-Step Verification
Arlo requires all users to activate two-step verification to continue to access your recordings, devices, and account.
Please enable this feature now. Learn More.

Can't download videos in Chrome/Chromium on Linux. Doesn't work on Chrome 88 or Firefox 84.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Prolixium
Luminary
Luminary

Hi - 

I periodically view my library on a computer with Chromium and use the video download feature.  However, after the latest Arlo logo change and web UI tweaks ("zoom" animation when opening a video in the library) this week the download button no longer works.  No download starts when the button is clicked.  The button literally just does nothing anymore.

I tried this in Google Chrome 88 as well and it doesn't work either.

However, I started up Firefox (84) and the download button works in that browser.

I rolled over to my macOS Big Sur laptop and tried Chromium on that browser.  Videos don't play in-browser on that build due to lack of codecs /but/ the download button works there.

Can any other Linux users reproduce this?  Or, is it not just limited to Linux and some other combination of OS & browsers?

There is no DRM on videos here so OS differences should not be in the picture whatsoever.

- Mark

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Linux isn'[t a supported platform so hopefully other Linux users can jump in here, as you ask.

In the meantime, there was an issue with Chrome a while ago that required a setting change. However, this was for downloading multiple videos at once, not getting one in the first place. Might be worth a gander just in case it provides a clue:

https://kb.arlo.com/000062212/Why-can-t-I-download-multiple-videos-at-once-from-the-Arlo-library

I just downloaded a video on my Chromebook with no issue. Are you using developer versions?

View solution in original post

All Replies
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Linux isn'[t a supported platform so hopefully other Linux users can jump in here, as you ask.

In the meantime, there was an issue with Chrome a while ago that required a setting change. However, this was for downloading multiple videos at once, not getting one in the first place. Might be worth a gander just in case it provides a clue:

https://kb.arlo.com/000062212/Why-can-t-I-download-multiple-videos-at-once-from-the-Arlo-library

I just downloaded a video on my Chromebook with no issue. Are you using developer versions?

View solution in original post

Prolixium
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks!  Indeed, Linux is not supported (although it's pretty odd considering this should be OS-agnostic since it doesn't use DRM, which does rely on some OS components to work):

https://kb.arlo.com/1000863/Why-can-t-I-log-in-to-my-Arlo-account-from-my-web-browser

That being said, looks like this might be dependent on browser versions I'm using.  As mentioned, I'm using Chrome & Chromium 88 (stable builds) but on another Linux machine that has Chromium 90, downloads still work fine.

Minus the official support, since it works in Chromium 90, then I suppose I have no problem 🙂

- Mark

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation