Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can't charge batteries by plugging charger directly into camera. Getting "charge fault" errors.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
crofootn
Follower
Follower

Got an Arlo Pro 2 with 3 cameras and it worked great for about 6 months. Every couple weeks I would need to charge the batteries which I did by plugging into the back of the mounted cameras. I also got a solar panel for one of them and ended up not having to manually charge for a few months.
BUT all of that suddenly stopped working. I started getting 'charge fault' errors on the cameras. None of the cameras would take a charge when I plugged in the charge cord to the back of the cameras. The solar powered camera stopped taking a charge as well. The Arlo package I got did not come with a charge station, only a charge cord so the only was to charge was through the camera. I bought a 2 pack of new batteries that came with a charge station. Turns out none of my original 3 batteries were bad, they just wouldn't take a charge anymore when being charged through the plug on the camera.
This is a huge pain since I need a ladder to get to the cameras and they use mounts that they screw into. Plugging them in was OK but having to dismount them almost once a week now is ridiculous.
AND I now get frequent 'charge fault' errors.
AND it inexplicably turns off recording from time to time now.
For security purposes, this system is becoming almost useless.
Is there a solution to the batteries inability to be charged while in the camera when using the charge cord that came with the cameras?

3 REPLIES 3
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey crofootn,

I would suggest to the Support Team to further investigate the issue you're having with your camera receiving "charge fault" errors and not recording properly. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

glmccready
Guide
Guide

I've had Arlo cams for 3 1/2 years, and wish I'd never. They are a constant source of problems.  I bought cams, and exterior cords/ chargers, only to have them recalled. I needed cords because I have a neuromuscular disease, and am not often able to go up and down ladders....to replace batteries.

Every time I contact support, it is as iff they don't even read what I sent. The are obstructive, and then when you get a "ticket" , which takes a week or two, they give you 6 days to respond....and the last two times I was in the hospital...and had to start all over.

THEN after you respond. 3/4 of the time i get an error message. and have to redo the entire message.

FYI: ALWAYS copy the message before you send it, and email it to yourself.

This has gotten ridiculous.  I had a cam that refused to charge, they finally sent me a "new" one that did the same things.  Three times the warranty had run out, becasue I was too ill to "fix it".  I have 6 cams, and it seems I'm always having a problem with one of them.

If I could attach a pic...I'd show you the latest... "Sorry but the requested page is unavailable due to server issue .....working on it".

I've lost track of how many times I'e gotten THAT message.

Do yourself a favor....go with a different company. I have no problems with my Wyze cams, not water proof but do fine in a plastic bottle. 

glmccready
Guide
Guide

I've had the same problem with one cam that has  a Arlo "outside" plug. (Arlo brand).  It stopped charging, after 4 months.  Battery is fine. Replaced it...same problem...6 weeks.  All my cams are on AC  power.  The ones under the eves, that don't really get weather exposure have not had this problem.  The pug is all the way in, and the extra metal screw is down tight.  Very frustrating.  

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation