Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can I use a HDD or buy the older base that has USB ports? Will it work?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
CrumT
Aspirant
Aspirant

I want this system but the internet where I live is only at 6meg. Not fast enough to upload 1080. Can I use a hdd that is connected to my router or buy the older base that has USB ports. If so will this still work?

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's the upload speed that's important. Test it with speedtest.net and let us know the results. The system is designed to use cloud access but a Pro base can have a USB drive connected also which just records whatever is sent to the cloud as a backup.

You can change the resolution in the video settings for the cameras to reduce the upload requirements.

CrumT
Aspirant
Aspirant

The upload speed is slower, 1.1meg going by speed test. Thanks for that info. Not good.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

1Mbps is the minimum speed spec. I had that speed for some time and had no particular problem using the original wireless cameras.  The issue would be streaming/recording multiple cameras at the same time which would swamp your upload capability.

If you proceed, try it out first and lower resolution only if needed. Be sure you have a return privilege with the store if it doesn't work out.

CrumT
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it .

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation