Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can I Disable Cloud Storage?

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
diederikdm
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can I disable the claud storage  and only record on usb devise.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No unless you disconnect the Ethernet cable. But then you have no access to change settings or view videos without pulling the USB drive out of the base.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No unless you disconnect the Ethernet cable. But then you have no access to change settings or view videos without pulling the USB drive out of the base.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

If you don’t want cloud storage, you will need to look for a company that sells products that use a local storage model.  Axis makes a system like that, but it lacks a fully wireless capability and lacks some of really convenient geolocation and notification features.  It would be nice if Arlo offered a robust “either or both” model for local and cloud storage.  That would be unbeatable.  Store locally, shadow in the cloud and allow access to both via the UI.

diederikdm
Aspirant
Aspirant

Than k for you response..   I will temporarily switch off the internet cable. I do this to limit data. Let us hope that arlo provides this opportunity later.

gs1512
Initiate
Initiate

This question has been asked before and I wonder if the feature is likley to be added  to the Arlo Pro systems in the near future.

We live in a rural area with rubbish wired internet options so have to rely on mobile 4G with capped usage (currently 12GB/Month) with crippling costs if this is exceeded. It would be good to be able to select local storage with cloud storage disabled. Disconnecting the camera router would force local storage but we need to retain the option to connect remotely to the cameras so this is not an option.

I know there are other cameras that allow remote access but none have the full features of the Arlo systems.  It strike me that this would be a possitive selling point.

Hopefully,

Iain

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@gs1512 wrote:

This question has been asked before and I wonder if the feature is likley to be added  to the Arlo Pro systems in the near future.

We live in a rural area with rubbish wired internet options so have to rely on mobile 4G with capped usage (currently 12GB/Month) with crippling costs if this is exceeded. It would be good to be able to select local storage with cloud storage disabled. Disconnecting the camera router would force local storage but we need to retain the option to connect remotely to the cameras so this is not an option.

I know there are other cameras that allow remote access but none have the full features of the Arlo systems.  It strike me that this would be a possitive selling point.

Hopefully,

Iain

Arlo recently announced they will support local video recording for the Ultra platform with access to those recordings via the Arlo app at some point in 2019.  They have not specified if this same functionality will be available for the Pro platform.

Personally, I have installed additional cameras that record locally, so I can have the best of both worlds.  I do continuous local recording on Axis cameras and I do limited Arlo recording while utilizing Arlo notifications and wire free capability where necessary.  If I see something interesting in the Arlo notifications, I can go to the continuous local recordings to look at more footage.

gs1512
Initiate
Initiate

Much appreciated and useful response.

Iain

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@gs1512 wrote:

Much appreciated and useful response.

Iain

Glad to help.  Good luck!