Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Cameras keep going offline every 48 hours

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
CatMom123
Tutor
Tutor
My cameras keep going offline every other day.

I have two cameras that are both outside: one in the front and one in the back. The front camera is installed at the porch, the other is installed under an awning. This means that both cameras are protected from the elements. Both are battery-powered.

The firmware for the cameras and the base station are all current.

My internet connection is 1G. I have a mesh network to help increase the network’s range. My base station’s CAT5 cable is plugged into one of the mesh units. The mesh unit is located well-within the original router’s reception range. The cameras always have a solid internet connection when they are online.

The base unit stays online. I have to restart the base unit to make the cameras come back online.

It’s ridiculous that I have to restart the entire camera system every other day. I don’t know where the fault is.
4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

What is your data speeds for down and up ( run speedtest )?

The fact that both cameras go out makes me think it may be a connection issue ( esp if only 1G as stated )

Also, I might temp test the base not on the mesh unit but at the main router...

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
CatMom123
Tutor
Tutor
A one gigabit connection is the best a private consumer can get in the US. It’s what I have.

When I’m attached to the main router, using my iPhone, and standing next to the base unit - I am getting a download speed 29.0 mbps and an upload speed of 28.6 mbps. I’m not using SpeedTest, but rather another method.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Misunderstanding as to speed...was thinking like 3 G on a phone .

When I’m attached to the main router, using my iPhone, and standing next to the base unit - I am getting a download speed 29.0 mbps and an upload speed of 28.6 mbps. I’m not using SpeedTest, but rather another method

This may be the limit on the phone if its an older model ( no mention )... Thats about where my older ipad maxs but its due to modem not router speeds which are 100MBs

What I'm suggesting is the outages may be related to the mesh setup... I would move the base to the main router and see if it changes anything. It seems strange that both are going out at same time.

Morse is faster than texting!
CatMom123
Tutor
Tutor
If I plug the base into the main router, the backyard camera will lose reception.

In instances like this, Arlo support documentation suggested using something like a WiFi repeater. A mesh system is superior to a WiFi repeater/extender, especially considering that these mesh units are made for this particular router and WiFi service.

Another note, when I did have the base system plugged into the main router, I remember having similar issues as both cameras went offline. The cameras also had identical charging faults even though they were both brand new, straight out of the box.
Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation