Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
slohikercj
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an Arlo pro 2 camera outdoors, under the eave of house. It has recently been giving me issues with detecting motion & also switches to battery despite being plugged in. I've had the camera for almost 1 yr. & it only started having this issue recently. Seems to only be happening in rain. I can unplug it for a few seconds from outlet & plug back in & it works fine until it rains again. I can live view fine, but it stops detecting motion & sending notification. The arlo cord is plugged into the arlo camera & then the cord is attached to an extenstion cord then into outlet.  This camera is protected under house eave as is all the cords. The extenstion cord is an outdoor cord. Everything is dry & it's not getting wet during rain. When it stops dectection motion it will also switch to battery power.  I have checked the outlet & it is fine. I have switched this camera with another camera & both have the same issue in this location. I have 4 other cameras & they work fine. The camera that I switched with is now indoors & works fine. I have 2 other outdoor cameras that are fully exposed to rain & have no issued (but they are on battery power & not plugged in).  I have switched out the batteries. I have uninstalled & reinstalled the cameras. Why is this happened only in this location & only when it rains? Why is it remedied by just unplugging & pluggin back in? Why does the live view work but not the motion detection? I have firmware 1.12.0.1_27940

9 REPLIES 9
Elochman
Aspirant
Aspirant
I had the same problem on the power in the rain. I bought some of the weather proof cables and didn’t have the power issue again. I found that the rain was getting into the plug and the camera was smart enough to shut it off.

As for the motion, I have a camera (different than the previous mentioned) that has stopped recording. It appears it happened after the last update. Everything else works just not the motion to record.
Dannybear
Master
Master
Have you eliminated the external power supply as the problem?
If you’re using the OEM power supply maybe change it over to another unit.
If you’re using a generic power supply I have seen some that will not power the camera as the voltage is slightly low.
The other thing to consider is that condensation can occur in electronics when rain is about even though it is sheltered.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since the system is almost out of warranty, open a case with support immediately so any hardware problems can be addressed by the warranty:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

slohikercj
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am using the Arlo cord attached into a generic cord then into outlet. The camera works fine in live view, just stops detecting motion & switches to battery.  I switched cameras around & it seems to be the location not the camera because the camera works fine in other location. Even out in open getting rained on it works fine. 

I'm thinking it's something to do with the power cord but just doesn't make sense that the camera runs (so it's getting power)  just doesn't not function as usual....weird. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
<p>I agree. It shouldn't matter at all whether power is lost for detection and recording. It might be useful to test using the Armed mode - if it works there, it's a problem with your custom mode. Create a new one with the same settings.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Getting moisture into the camera connection typically results in an "incompatible charger" error but anything is possible I suppose. Doesn't have to be direct hits from rain - dew/condensation could cause this.&nbsp; However, briefly unplugging power doesn't clear the fault - you have to dry the connections out. How are you unplugging - at the camera or the wall?</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>I'd still open a case...</p>
slohikercj
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the issue in armed mode. I don't use the custom mode very often. 

I am unplugging from the wall/outlet when I do unplug to reset. 

slohikercj
Aspirant
Aspirant

I opened a ticket & received a "no reply" email from Netgear asking me to go to their website to answer a question on the open ticket......there was no open ticket & no question to answer. 

Of course it's a "no reply" message, so I can't contact the person who sent it. 

Begining to wonder about Arlo's customer service....doesn't seem all that great. 

Since I've had the cameras less than a year.......& they are not cheap......seems that they should be more willing & accessible to help me out....... not sure I'd buy this system again knowing this. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @slohikercj

I have a question regarding this email. I will contact you via PM so I can look in to this for you.

slohikercj
Aspirant
Aspirant

I sent the screenshot of the "do not reply" email

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation