Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera not triggering 2nd camera. Have Smart subscription and one has activity zones.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Mobalized
Tutor
Tutor

I recently changed my modes so that when one camera has a motion event it triggers itself and all others to begin recording. What I noticed is that camera 1 can trigger camera 1 & 2 to record, but camera 2 triggers 2 to record but only makes camera 1 update the preview image but not actually save to library.

I have Smart subscriptions on both. Camera 1 has activity zones, but 2 does not. If I add activity zones to camera 2 then 1 will not trigger 2 either. So it seems the activity zones prevent cameras from being triggered by another camera.

As an aside if I have more than 2 motion zones on camera 1 it records nothing.

Is anyone else able to duplicate this failure to trigger a second camera to record with activity zones on the 2nd camera???

7 REPLIES 7
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Well what is happening seems to make sense if you understand how the zones work...

the camera gets triggered and records, this is sent up to the computers AI smart to see if the motion was in a zone set, if it was then it's sent back as a recorded vid, if not then basicly the file gets dumped and no alert... But I guess it will still update the static screen shot

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Mobalized
Tutor
Tutor
Right, I understand why it's happening systematically but is this really what the customer wants to happen? No - obviously I want to trigger the 2nd camera to record when the first senses motion and the way the modes options are presented it seems as though it should. Seems to be an oversight on the developers part.
lite1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Newbie on basic/free subscription but considering paid to get activity zones which I expect will reduce false positives that I am experiencing on camera, BUT if I understand this thread in many instances I will then give up the capacity to have the camera that first is triggered by motion to then trigger recording that I want for other cameras, correct? If that is what happens, calling this a developer "oversight" I think is being overly kind, and certainly not what I would want especially since you end up paying to get Zone functionality but in addition to paying money you also pay by giving up basic flexibility in other functioning. Hopefully I have a mis-understanding! And don't mean to take over your thread, apology in advance if this is inappropriate post.

Mobalized
Tutor
Tutor
Lite1 - no you got it right. Pay more get less. If you're new to the system run while you can. I'm being generous but nothing works as advertised.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mobalized wrote:
Right, I understand why it's happening systematically but is this really what the customer wants to happen? No - obviously I want to trigger the 2nd camera to record when the first senses motion and the way the modes options are presented it seems as though it should. Seems to be an oversight on the developers part.

FWIW, I agree that the activity zones should only apply to the original motion detection.  A cross-triggered recording should always be saved (and any duplicate notification suppressed).

lite1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Is this then something that Arlo acknowledges a bug/problem/defect AND have they committed to "fixing" this say within the next 3 months?  If the community can't even know whether Arlo intended this behavior (pay to get one function, but also have to give up some other functionality) it makes it much more challenging to figure out what choices to make with your own camera programming.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@lite1 wrote:

Is this then something that Arlo acknowledges a bug/problem/defect

I was just expressing my own view.  I don't know Arlo's view, and certainly can't speak for them.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation