Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera not syncing (Pro 2). Any repair services out there? It's less than 2 years old.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
sg1009
Aspirant
Aspirant

So this camera won't sync to either of my base stations. Serial number isn't registered to another account.

I've been onto support for the last week and although they know it's less than 2 years old they won't replace it because I haven't got the original receipt. 

Are there any repair services out there? Support don't know of any.

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The typical warranty period is 1 year, not 2, unless you live in specific countries. However, even if you have the 2 year version, they will always ask for the receipt to prove the age. Most, if not all, manufacturers will do this. You may be able to get a duplicate receipt from the store.

Sorry, no repair services for Arlo and most other current electronic devices. It would probably cost as much or more for repair compared to purchase of another device.

samonb20
Aspirant
Aspirant

That's bullsh*t . Basically, the entire electronics' universe is then selling disposable goods.  Just like printers went to breaking every two years and TVs., now security devices. I guess we all need a lot more income to afford these devices, and replace all of them every two years - Huh - NOT!!!!

sg1009
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can understand a £20 pair of headphones that stop working a year after purchase but a £200 professional camera should work for good period especially as part of a £600 system. 

I'd even be happy to undertake the repair. In my experience there won't be a single component worth more than a £5 in any electronic product. It's often the time it takes to find it and replace that makes it more efficient to replace a whole PCB.

In this case the front PCB and camera are working fine. I've swapped them for another camera and worked out the back PCB is the problem. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@samonb20 wrote:

That's bullsh*t . Basically, the entire electronics' universe is then selling disposable goods.  Just like printers went to breaking every two years and TVs., now security devices. I guess we all need a lot more income to afford these devices, and replace all of them every two years - Huh - NOT!!!!

Apparently you haven't checked the repairability of pretty much any consumer electronic device for the past few decades. That's been a major issue since things got miniaturized with surface-mounted chips on very small boards. The time and expertise to repair these would easily cost you as much as a new device. Replacing a board is possible but probably only when the device is costly enough to make that swap reasonable.

Yes, the entire electronic universe is selling disposable goods. We're good at design and manufacturing but suck at what to do when it breaks or we're done with it.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@sg1009 wrote:

I can understand a £20 pair of headphones that stop working a year after purchase but a £200 professional camera should work for good period especially as part of a £600 system. 

I wouldn't consider Arlo a "professional camera" - those are considerably more expensive. These are consumer devices with all that entails.

In this case the front PCB and camera are working fine. I've swapped them for another camera and worked out the back PCB is the problem. 

I'd suggest trying to locate other non-working cameras so you can swap boards around. You simply aren't going to find OEM replacement parts.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation