Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
PNelson
Apprentice
Apprentice

One of my Arlo Pro 2 cameras will no longer properly record video in dark situations.   While it records when activity is detected, the video is completely dark.  It works fine during the day.

Unless there is some easy fix, I need to get a replacement camera.  What cameras are compatible with base station VMB4000r3?  

I bought the five camera package with free cloud storage.  Will Arlo still support the free cloud storage for the 5 cameras, or will getting a new camera require me to get a subscription for 1 camera? 

Thank you

Paul

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@PNelson wrote:

What cameras are compatible with base station VMB4000r3?  

All the cameras that can connect to a base are compatible with the VMB4000.

@PNelson wrote:

I bought the five camera package with free cloud storage.  Will Arlo still support the free cloud storage for the 5 cameras, or will getting a new camera require me to get a subscription for 1 camera? 

You will need a single camera subscription for the newer cameras (Pro 3/Pro 4/Ultra/Essential).

Dannybear
Master
Master
Is the night vision setting turned off in the camera settings menu. If so this will turn off the night LEDs. Have you tried pulling the camera battery for 10sec to reset the camera
PNelson
Apprentice
Apprentice

StephenB,

Thank you for the information that the newer cameras are compatible with my older VMB4000 base station.

Good to know that if I want a newer camera I would have to get a subscription even if I had the free cloud storage when I bought the Alro Pro 2.  To keep that free storage, I assume I would have to find a used Pro2 camera.  The thought of having to pay for poor customer service is not something I would do.  I would sell the Arlo system on ebay for someone looking for parts, and get a different system.

However, per my next post, I think I solved the problem.

PNelson
Apprentice
Apprentice

The night vision and LED was turned on, and I had powered off/on the unit.  The camera is powered via an A/C adapter, so it does not have a battery.

In the process of reviewing the settings, the brightness was at -1.  I didn't make any recent changes to that setting.  It is possible a long time ago, I did set it to -1.  Perhaps a software update changed the brightness setting's sensitivity?  Even with an external flood light the image was dark at -1 setting.  

I changed the setting to +1 which works good at night when the flood light is activated.  I hope the image does not get washed out during the daytime.  

Paul

Dannybear
Master
Master
Just to clarify the LED setting is to turn off the blue led that lights up when the battery is charged.

The night vision setting turns on/off the red LEDs so they don’t operate at night.

The brightness setting changing value is common for iPhone users with hover thumbs. The setting gets changed when you’re thumb hovers over the slide bar as you reach for the back icon. You don’t see the change when you exit the settings page.

The optimal daytime setting value for me is 0 but with night viewing it is too dark so it has to be +1, that causes the daytime to get washed out a lot. I wish they would get it right and give you night and day brightness settings.
Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation