Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 36 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation
Velati
Follower
Follower

I recently bought Arlo pro 2 6 camera set but it only supports 5 cameras at the best. I am not sure why they sell 6 camera sets when the base station is designed to be used only with 5 cameras max. Definitely not happy with the purchase.

36 REPLIES 36
brh
Master
Master

@Velati

I don't have the 6 camera set, but in the instructions it should ask for the model number or SKU number and then automatically detect that you have a 6 camera set. You will be able to use all 6 cameras on your free plan.

Brian

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you've already set the system up incorrectly, you can't use the same account to get all 6 going. Remove all devices from Settings, My Devices in the current account and start fresh with a new email address.

russday
Tutor
Tutor

That doesn't work, I've tried using a new account twice, once with a set that I set up under a previous account (then tried a new email account, with the same result) and a second time with a new base station that had never been registered.  Same result.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

russday,

What exactly is the issue you are experiencing? Is the system not registering the 6th camera or failing before this?

russday
Tutor
Tutor
I can register all six cameras but when I look at the “devices” tab it shows that only 5 cameras are supported. It says that I have to buy a subscription to activate the sixth camera.

Here’s something interesting I’ve found, at the Arlo subscription page it states that in the US and Canada 6 cameras are supported for sets of 6 sold with base station model number VMK3500. I’m at work right now and can’t check it but I’m certain that my base station model that came with my Best Buy 6 camera set is not VMK3500. If I recall it’s something like VMK4000.

Is this likely the issue? Here is the Arlo subscription explanation page....

https://kb.arlo.com/88/What-are-the-available-Arlo-subscription-plans-and-how-much-cloud-recording-i...
russday
Tutor
Tutor

Sorry last post was wrong, this page describes the Arlo Pro 2 subscription support based on base station model...

https://kb.arlo.com/1108731/How-many-cameras-does-the-free-Basic-service-plan-support

russday
Tutor
Tutor

So this might be the problem, it seems that the six camera sets that are being sold in Canada are being shipped with base station model VMB4000.  The model number on the box is VMS4630P, so it should work... I think unless the model number of the base station is supposed to be the same as the number on the box?

From the Arlo Pro 2 Subsciption Page mentioned in my last post the 6 camera subscription applies to...

“Arlo Pro 2 Smart Security Camera System with 6 Cameras (VMS4630P)”

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The base model will always be 4000 (or whatever the base is labeled). The SYSTEM model is what's needed for the proper ID to get all 6 cameras on the free plan, AFAIK.

russday
Tutor
Tutor
Who knows what the issue is then. It has to be related to the serial number of the base station, there has to be a way that the system knows how many cameras were shipped with each base station.

Why the sixth camera can’t be activated by the staff at the call centre I don’t know, but there seems to be a disposition to let customers either sit and rot or subscribe and pay with them hoping to refunded at some point. I won’t be holding my breath for a timely solution, someone on the forum posted this problem back in April, I would have thought there was a solution to this problem by now.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

russday,

Have you tried to setup the system with a newly registered account, or your previous account?

russday
Tutor
Tutor

Yes.  I bought a six camera set after my four camera set froze during an update.  I registered it to my account that my four camera set was registered to.  Nowhere does it say that you can’t do this in instructions or packaging anywhere.  Call centre said to try a new email address, that it should work.  

So I did that. Registered it to a new gmail address that had never been used before.  Still didn’t work.

I returned that six camera set and got another from Best Buy.  Registered that new set to yet another new email address, so this time a new set of never registered cameras to a never used before email address with the same result.  I can set up all six cameras but it says that I need a subscription above basic to use camera number six.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

russday

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

russday
Tutor
Tutor
ShayneS,

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate that the problem is being worked on. What is concerning is that there are people who have posted this identical problem going back seven months, which is a long time to go without a remedy to something that I would think should be readily fixed..

I get the sense that there is a fudamental problem with how the six camera sets were distributed compared to others and knowing who can subscribe six cameras and who can subscribe five. It seems that the system doesn’t know the difference. Hopefully that’s not the case.

Is there any idea what the timeframe is to solving this problem? I’d rather not be left holding the bag on a set of cameras I can’t fully use.
neod192
Aspirant
Aspirant

According to this article and Arlo support, VMS4630P allows 6 cameras on the free, basic account:

https://kb.arlo.com/1108731/How-many-cameras-does-the-free-Basic-service-plan-support

I set up my system and it only allows 5 cameras. I factory reset everything 3-4 times and created a new account each time (while on the phone with support) and it still only allows 5 cameras. I even exchanged it for another system at Best Buy with a new serial number and that also only allowed 5 cameras. Issue has been escalated to level 3 support and they logged the issue with no ETA on a solution. I sent them pictures of my packaging, model number, serial number and app screenshots.

Has anyone actually been succesful in setting up all 6 cameras to the basic account? If yes, what was the trick? Why can't Arlo get this right and why can't support override the system to allow that 6th camera?

I really like this system, but I want to use all the cameras I bought without paying extra (no, I don't need smart notifications). Thanks!

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I'm sure this has happened a number of times before and Support has been quick to rectify. @JamesC can you be of any help here?

neod192
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I've seen others having this issue and the suggestion was to reset everything with a new account. Since I've done that more than once already (and ended up with 4 accounts), I'm running out of "new" e-mail addresses to use. I spent over 6 hours on the phone with support already - hope someone here can be more helpful!

My case # is 40290860. Thanks !!!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

We're currently investigating reports of some users experiencing issues with the 6 camera kits. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

carbonyle
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi,

Is your issue still happening? I just purchased the 6 pack based on the fact that it should work with the basic account. It would be disappointing if it’s not working properly...
Thanks!
neod192
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm still not able to use my 6th camera. Let me know what happens when you set yours up. Make sure you make a brand new account.
carbonyle
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for the feedback, I’ll let you know. I feel it’s not inconsistent with other Netgear products. I use their Orbi with multiple satellites, it works great most of the time but randomly acts up...
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You must use a brand new account to get all 6 cameras on the free plan. If you set it up under an existing account, remove all devices associated with the system from Settings, My Devices. Log out and use the New to Arlo selection at the login screen.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A cloud fix was released that should help resolve this issue. For those who were experiencing this issue, is this still the case?

JamesC

carbonyle
Aspirant
Aspirant

I received my 6-pack on Monday and installed it (split over 2 base stations because of the layout of my house) the same day. It has been working fine, easy install, no issues with monitoring the 6. It is annoying I couldn't use my routine e-mail because it is associated with a netgear account...controlling the Orbi and the Arlo with the same account would be nice...!

Swillers
Aspirant
Aspirant
My 6th camera is activated but can’t seem to get it to an active state without deactivating another camera. I bought 6 camera set but my subscription only shows 5 camera! Need a fix now!
Discussion stats
  • 36 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation