Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Blank black screens in live camera video feeds in iPad's iOS app?

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ant
Mentor
Mentor

During yesterday's setup and testing the new Arlo Pro 2 4 camera setup from Best Buy, iPad's iOS app kept making the live video feed blank black in fullscreen after several seconds. Why? The only way to fix it is to restart the app. All softwares and firmwares are updated too. It can't be a connection issue since the base stations, wireless router, cameras, etc. were close by. This never happened with the original Arlo before with another account.

Thank you in advance. 🙂

10 REPLIES 10
brh
Master
Master

@ant

What happens on your smart phone? Do you have a Windows PC that you can log into your account and check it there?

The problem is probably with the iPad app, especially if the iPad is a newer model.

Brian

ant
Mentor
Mentor

wrote:

@ant

What happens on your smart phone? Do you have a Windows PC that you can log into your account and check it there?

The problem is probably with the iPad app, especially if the iPad is a newer model.

Brian

I did not see this problem in iPhones. iPad was from early 2015.

brh
Master
Master

@ant

Did you download the app from the Apple store, or are you using it through a browser on the iPad?

Brian

ant
Mentor
Mentor

wrote:

@ant

Did you download the app from the Apple store, or are you using it through a browser on the iPad?

Brian

iOS app from Apple store.

brh
Master
Master

@ant

I just downloaded the app from the Apple App Store onto my iPad, (2014 or 2015 model) and live view works great. 

Did you go to Devices and on the gear icon for one of the cameras turn the camera on first before trying Live View?

Brian

ant
Mentor
Mentor

wrote:

@ant

I just downloaded the app from the Apple App Store onto my iPad, (2014 or 2015 model) and live view works great. 

Did you go to Devices and on the gear icon for one of the cameras turn the camera on first before trying Live View?

Brian

Yes, they were enabled. The issue is that the working live video feed goes blank black after several seconds. Like lost picture. Audio too.

brh
Master
Master

@ant

Go ahead and contact support at the banner near the bottom of this page when you get a chance. It acts like the connection to the iPad is too slow. I did read in a post when I googled your problem was to clear out the cache for this app and verify if the iPad has enough memory left to run the video stream. They also recommended to power the iPad off and then back on.

Brian

ant
Mentor
Mentor

wrote:

@ant

Go ahead and contact support at the banner near the bottom of this page when you get a chance. It acts like the connection to the iPad is too slow. I did read in a post when I googled your problem was to clear out the cache for this app and verify if the iPad has enough memory left to run the video stream. They also recommended to power the iPad off and then back on.

Brian

Too slow even if I am near the wireless router and cameras? Weird! How does one clear the caches in Arlo's iOS app? I didn't know that even existed. I know this iPad has a 16 GB of storage. Yeah, tiny. Also, this iPad is ME993LL/B model if that matters. This iPad was last rebooted last week's Monday due to its iOS upgrade. Maybe it needs another reboot?

ant
Mentor
Mentor

@antwrote:

wrote:

@ant

Brian

Too slow even if I am near the wireless router and cameras? Weird! How does one clear the caches in Arlo's iOS app? I didn't know that even existed. I know this iPad has a 16 GB of storage. Yeah, tiny. Also, this iPad is ME993LL/B model if that matters. This iPad was last rebooted last week's Monday due to its iOS upgrade. Maybe it needs another reboot?

It happened again so I did a force reboot with its home and power buttons. I can still reproduce it. Bah. Also, 12.4 GB used of out of 16 GB in this iPad. I also saw the same issue with an old Arlo camera so it's just not Pro 2's side. Weird.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ant,

I've not been able to replicate any issue with  live streaming on iOS. Consider reinstalling the Arlo mobile app (uninstall and download a fresh version from the app store) and see if you experience the same behavior.

Also be sure you're iOS device is up to date with the latest available version of iOS.

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation