Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro 2 video on usb is just a dark mass...no picture!

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
DJKnut
Tutor
Tutor

I just bought my system yesterday, updated firmware to: Base, org 1.9.8.0_1666 ... to- 1-30-18 / 2.4.6.1098_18511  Cams, org 1.124.0.0_14570 ... to- 1-30-18 / 1.124.1.0_15483...Using a MAC desktop (macOS Sierra 10.12.6)    All seems to work correctly except the stored MP4's on the USB stick. It creates mp4 files with the proper titles (time, date..etc) but I've tried to view the files with both Quick Time and VLC mp4 viewers and the result is the same... garbage!

I will try to  attached one of the bad mp4's to this posting... not accepted??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DJKnut
Tutor
Tutor

I was somehow able to connect the a Netgear live chat tech, and after a long and exhaustive path, we found out that my USB files displayed just fine on my NetBook Windows 10 system, but on my Mac desktop, neither the VLC or QuickTime viewers would display the actual video clips. Once we homed in on that, I was able to download from the Apple App Store "MP4 Lite" which is a video converter (free!) and that solved my problem.  What I learned for the effort is: using the local memory USB card runs in parallel to the cloud storage, and all the user functions (library, download, share...etc) utilize what's saved on the cloud. So, while the local memory will store many many days worth of events (unlike the 7 day limit on the basic package) in order to access the stored information, you must remove the USB device and search it for the events you need to see. Fortunately, all the files are named utilizing the serial number of the camera that witnessed the event and the date and time... which makes it fairly easy to track down what you need to find. Then you can copy the files off the drive and re-install it to record more stuff.  I'm now, VERY HAPPY!! and the Chat Tech service was Extremely patient and helpful..!!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Macs have an issue with Arlo videos using the OS-supplied viewer. Use the free VLC viewer and things should be fine.

DJKnut
Tutor
Tutor

As I said in my listing, I have used the VLC viewer... the mp4's display black, blotchy garbage... they run and the player think it's a video, but there is no sign that what I can view in my cloud library was copied to the USB drive... a matching file is created, but it's content is garbage!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Gotcha -sorry. Can you try a different drive? Maybe that one has issues.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Power cycle your base and try again. But if you can attach the MP4 somehow, I'll try play it on my Windows computer

DJKnut
Tutor
Tutor

I was somehow able to connect the a Netgear live chat tech, and after a long and exhaustive path, we found out that my USB files displayed just fine on my NetBook Windows 10 system, but on my Mac desktop, neither the VLC or QuickTime viewers would display the actual video clips. Once we homed in on that, I was able to download from the Apple App Store "MP4 Lite" which is a video converter (free!) and that solved my problem.  What I learned for the effort is: using the local memory USB card runs in parallel to the cloud storage, and all the user functions (library, download, share...etc) utilize what's saved on the cloud. So, while the local memory will store many many days worth of events (unlike the 7 day limit on the basic package) in order to access the stored information, you must remove the USB device and search it for the events you need to see. Fortunately, all the files are named utilizing the serial number of the camera that witnessed the event and the date and time... which makes it fairly easy to track down what you need to find. Then you can copy the files off the drive and re-install it to record more stuff.  I'm now, VERY HAPPY!! and the Chat Tech service was Extremely patient and helpful..!!

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation