Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Plboucher
Tutor
Tutor

Since my arlo pro 2 will be in end of life, I want to try the local storage instead of having to pay for a subscription

I try a 64gb sandisk usb stick on my base station (VMB4000r3) and the app / the base doesn't seem to recognize the usb drive for local storage

- I can't enable the local storage

- I see a red usb stick logo on my base station in the app

I tried to format the usb drive to exFat or NTFS (since I can't format FAT32 since it's a 64gb device)

Is there something else to try? Do I miss something ?

15 REPLIES 15
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can format to FAT32 on a computer if you use a 3rd party program to do so. Do you have other drives to try? Has to be at least 16GB. Also, try both USB ports to see if there's a difference.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

You can format to FAT32 on a computer if you use a 3rd party program to do so.

@Plboucher: This link might help:

@jguerdat wrote:

Has to be at least 16GB. 

Some USB drives have multiple partitions, and that can get in the way. (since the first is often less than 16 GB).  You can check for this with the Windows Disk Manager - and remove partitions there if you have more than one.

Plboucher
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the reply

I tried tonight to format my usb stick to fat32 using rufus

Even after that, the base doesn't seem to recognize it, so I can't record locally

And I tried both usb port behind the station

Any other idea ? Is there somewhere I can see if there is some errors ?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Did you check for multiple partitions as suggested above? Have you tried a different drive?

Plboucher
Tutor
Tutor

I went to check how many partition were on my usb stick (only one) and found out a folder named Arlo (was't there before)

I plug back my usb stick on the base (without doing anything) and now I can open the local storage and turn it on

So it seem to work now (and I don't know why)

Will try it

thanks!

Plboucher
Tutor
Tutor

How is that possible to validate that I see local file on my arlo library ? Not sure that is working so far, I cannot see if the video are from the cloud or from local storage

Thanks!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

With a VMB4000 the only way to see the local recordings is to safely eject the drive from the base settings for viewing on a computer. The VMB4540 and 5000 are the only ones where you can use the app to directly view the recordings.

lendelbogdan
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have same problem. Started last week. 

Have been using it without problem for 4 years.

Now it doesn't recognize USB

JonJon222221
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue with my base station. 5 years of local storage, I updated the firmware and phone software and now 5 drives I’ve tried and formatted correctly won’t work. Contacted support and they said they were working on it with no timeline as to when the fix will come.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is currently reviewing reports of this issue. I will provide an update once I have more information to share.

JamesC

BandT
Tutor
Tutor

Any update on this issue??  I just recently starting having same problem.  I’ve had a 128gb flash drive plugged in my VMB4000 base since August of 2022 which worked fine until recently.  Bought a new 64gb flash drive and get same error, “USB DISK Requires Formatting »” then “Your USB device failed to format”.

pingang
Aspirant
Aspirant

My VMB4000r3 recently had same issue with USB drives. Tried multiple flash drives that worked perfectly on computer but couldn't be recognized/formatted by Arlo station.

It worked fine for a few months before this issue occurred (was able to record/replay with local USBs).

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

You could try formatting the drive on a PC, and see if that works.  It needs to be formatted as FAT32.

JonJon222221
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yup, I formatted with a PC to FAT32. Also tried ExFat for kicks as well. 5 drives. No cigar. And all of this was working prior to the update. I’m guessing they’re just waiting until the end of life to say “oops, too bad, not compatible anymore.” I feel scammed that I just bought 10 Arlo cameras recently. What I’ll probably do is just leave those where they are with that base station and switch to another company for the ones that aren’t recording anymore. No way I’m going to get into a monthly subscription or keep putting money into a company that does this sort of thing to loyal customers. I need to be more careful next time.

BandT
Tutor
Tutor

We’ve had to upgrade our ARLO VMB4000 base station this year to the VMB5000 because the 4000 abruptly stopped recognizing any of our USB thumb drive for recordings as well!

We’ve had the ARLO Pro2 camera system since 2018 then added the wired doorbell summer 2022 and have had several issues with it NOT recording obvious deliveries to our front door within 5-6’. Our driveway camera picks up delivery person walking to front door 25-30’ away but nothing from doorbell.  Now if delivery is made within 2’ of doorbell it MIGHT record. We’ve had many surprise deliveries when we open our door because doorbell did not record. Settings are set to high / very sensitive but still no dice. We’ve factory reset it, nadda. We’ve even reported it to ARLO and get try this, try that, try this again, try that again. Really considering ripping it out and putting up another camera instead.

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation