Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Base Station no longer connects to network

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
Mintaka
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a VMB4500 base station. It no longer was connecting to the network. I tried resetting it, unplugging and replugging it in. Tried different Ethernet cable. Connected both Ethernet cables successfully to other devices. Eventually I decided to restore to defaults the base station. I used a paper clip to hold down the reset button for a bit over 10 seconds. The light on the front of the base station never changed from being blue. I removed all my cameras and the base station from devices and attempted to add the base station again. It connected successfully. I went outside to get one of the cameras and plugged in a battery I had just charged up the night before to it to plug it into the base station. I then noticed that Arlo website no longer had the base station I plugged in as a device in my system. So I tried to add it again without success. I tried restoring to defaults again and adding it to no success. The base station light is always blue except when I disconnect and reconnect power in which case it is briefly orange before turning blue. I cannot seem to get it connect back into my system no matter what I try.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Just1Guy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi StephenB

Just a final follow up to let you know the Ethernet ports were all dead on the router.  I was surprised that the WiFi was still working.  Router is replaced and all is good, security is restored.
Really appreciate the support!  Thanks!

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Dannybear
Master
Master

The factory reset of the base station is indicated by the led flashing amber after the reset button is continuously held for 10sec. If you’re not getting the flashing led then the base is either busy or the button is defective. Try holding the button longer than 10sec but give up after a minute.

Some suggest you should feel the button click, some suggest the button can be misaligned in the Base for using the paper clip.

My personal experience is that the button gets a film of dirt on the contacts and needs to be worked a number of times.

Mintaka
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the response.

I held the reset button down waiting for a minute and after about 20 seconds the light turned solid amber. I held down the reset button a bit longer and it remained solid. I attempted to add the base station again to my account and it could not find the device. I looked at the base station and the light was again blue.

I tried holding down reset again and after a minute it remained blue. I pressed the reset again after this and again it remained blue. I disconnected/reconnected power and tried again and after about 30 seconds it again turned solid amber. I continued holding down the reset button and soon it became blue again.

I do feel the button click each time I press it.

Does this mean the base station is broken?

Dannybear
Master
Master

The following is the arlo factory reset article,

https://kb.arlo.com/1057976/How-can-I-reset-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-Base-Station 

There has been a number of firmware update releases for the base stations so if they have changed the factory reset behaviour it may not have been updated in the documented.

Unfortunately there never is any documentation on what arlo firmware changes occur so the user is always kept guessing.

To fast forward, if the base is unable to be factory reset then it’s useless to you and needs replacing.

My own experience with a base not being able to be factory reset required me to pull it apart and spray the button with electronic contact cleaner then using a multimeter to confirm the switch was working after a few attempts.

Not recommended for the non technical minded user though.

Sonabello
Aspirant
Aspirant

We've had the exact same issue. We tried the reset. The light on the base station is blue meaning it’s connected to the network but the Arlo app cannot find the base station. We tried reinstalling the app but no luck. It appears that Arlo must have sent out an update which renders the base station unrecognizable? Arlo recently announced that they were no longer supporting older equipment. We’ve given up on Arlo and bought another brand which is similar (Wuuk).  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

WHen you reset, did you hold the button for ~15 seconds until the LED started flashing? Did you also remove the base from your account which is needed after a reset?

It's not an update issue and it has no bearing on the EOL (end of life) issue, especially since bases aren't included.

Sonabello
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo Pro 2 model VMS4230P. Base was offline. Removed base from account. Reset the base for 15 seconds until LED flashed. Tried this several times.  Light would flash amber indicating that it was updating and then the light would turn blue indicating that it's connected to internet. Arlo app could not find base. Made sure that Arlo phone app is using 2.4G to connect. Never had this issue before. It must have been the latest update that rendered the base useless? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you tried using "add device" from a PC (browsing to my.arlo.com)?

Just1Guy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a VMB4000 base that suddenly stopped connecting.  I’ve gone through the resets, changed cords and ports to no avail.  Currently the unit lights power green, internet off and devices yellow.  I can see the unit attempting to connect on my router.  I found an older communication to ping the Arlo address with my laptop and found it timing out.  
The problem appears to coincide with the new smart router launch by Xfinity.
We have 2 houses and I will be taking the unit to the other location in a few days to see if it will connect.  
In the mean time, would like to know if others are having the same problem with this isp?  Or if there are any other insight that someone can share.

I really hate leaving my place unprotected.  (Obtw, Arlo has already helped catch and thwarted one attempted burglary…)

DanielRK
Tutor
Tutor

Just another software fault after updating.?

First there was a message that said Arlo is working on it, but still not working.

Middle green led is flashing.

3 cams offline on Base station but 2 Arlo Q working perfekt.(Not via Base)

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DanielRK wrote:

Just another software fault after updating.?

First there was a message that said Arlo is working on it, but still not working.

Middle green led is flashing.

3 cams offline on Base station but 2 Arlo Q working perfekt.(Not via Base)

Please don't double-post.

Also, it is best to create your own discussion thread when posting a problem.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Just1Guy wrote:

I have a VMB4000 base that suddenly stopped connecting.  I’ve gone through the resets, changed cords and ports to no avail.  Currently the unit lights power green, internet off and devices yellow.  I can see the unit attempting to connect on my router.  I found an older communication to ping the Arlo address with my laptop and found it timing out.  
The problem appears to coincide with the new smart router launch by Xfinity.

Are you seeing the base station in your router's attached device list?

If not:

• If your laptop has an ethernet port, try connecting it to the router using the same cable, and see if that connects.
  • All Arlo bases use 100 mbps "fast" ethernet.  Some newer routers support multigig ethernet, and might not properly negotiate with the older speed.  If you have a gigabit switch, you could try putting that between the router and the base.

Just1Guy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello StephenB.

just to be clear, I still have the same modem and router I’ve had for years.  They’re both Netgear products.  Using my laptop, I was unable to find the router on my network, my lack of tech savvy.  But I do know the connection works for everything else, iPad, phone and laptop.
I did however take the unit to the lake house and the unit connected to the internet just fine.  Seems pretty clear the problem is related to changes made to the service by Comcast/Xfinity.  
I will obtain and try a gigabyte switch.
If that doesn’t work, it will lead me to 2 questions.

1)  Is this a known problem that could be addressed with a software update?  (My unit has never had a manual update)

2)  If there is not an update that would solve this problem, how should I go about addressing this with the internet provider?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Just1Guy wrote:

Seems pretty clear the problem is related to changes made to the service by Comcast/Xfinity.  

It is also possible that the LAN ethernet ports in the router have failed.  (It is quite possible for all them to fail together).

Do you have another ethernet device you can connect to the router to test it?

Just1Guy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I do.  I have a voip unit I will take with me when I return home.  It will be at least a few days until.  
thanks for the suggestion!

Just1Guy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi StephenB

Just a final follow up to let you know the Ethernet ports were all dead on the router.  I was surprised that the WiFi was still working.  Router is replaced and all is good, security is restored.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Just1Guy wrote:

Hi StephenB

Great that it's running again, and glad I could help. 😀

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation