Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Audio Livestream for Arlo Pro / Pro 2?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Suboshi
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm currently looking into buying either Arlo Pro or Arlo Pro 2 security cameras, or Nest, or something equivalent.  I have worked with Netgear for many years so that's a plus here, and I do see they are releasing updates & firmware regularly, which is another plus.

Here is my question - I would be using two cameras as "baby" monitors.  I have one toddler, and then another child with ADHD.  Until they are a little older, I need cameras for them, and then I'd repurpose the cameras as real security cameras.  The one thing I'm trying to figure out here is how well the software for Android/iOS works for this.  With a normal baby monitor, ideally, I'd be able to turn the screen itself on or off, but would hear sound regardless.  How well does the livestream audio work with this? If we are turning in for the night, and I leave the app running on my phone or tablet, does it still provide live audio feed from the cameras once the screen goes dark, or how does that work? Also, is there a setting (just making sure) to allow it to switch every X seconds between two or more cameras so they can be scanned?

Main thing is, if one wakes up crying or hollering, I need to be able to immediately hear them.  Not with an audio alert, as they could simply be going to the bathroom or something, but actually hearing the sound from within the rooms, without the app turning off or closing or something.  Thank you!!

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First off, the Pro and Pro2 will not make good baby monitors....

The Arlo cams do time out on the software after about 30 mins.

( designed in case left on, since they can run on batteries alone )

What will stay on is the Arlo Baby.... It does not shut down AND it has the audio always on feature ( when device screen goes into background, the audio still plays thru )

but they do not have the option of switching back forth between 2 cams.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Suboshi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the quick response! Do they still time out after 30 min if they are plugged in and not reliant on batteries?

I'll check out the Arlo Baby - I saw that one had some poor reviews, but from what I saw it looks like they stem from the original launch and I know there have been a lot of firmware updates since then.  Even if it doesn't auto switch between cameras, I guess we could leave one device on one, and another device/phone on the other camera.

Thanks again!!

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation