Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Dannybear
Master
Master
Can anyone explain why my some of my custom modes and schedules appear to get deleted on a daily basis. Also the video detection settings for all my cameras are disabled in the remaining modes. This has occurred twice now in as many days.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dannybear
Master
Master
Ok, I’m satisfied that this is a arlo firmware bug causing this. I will call it the AZ Ultra bug. Interestingly this bug neatly interacts with the PZ Ultra bug and the GF Ultra bug to make your arlo experience that much more exciting.

Anyway the solution is for Arlo’s software team to resolve this.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'll wager you're using thee app which has an unfortunate ability to display modes, rules and schedule improperly. When you use the app, what you think you're setting may not get translated to reality. Use a browser for the time being to check and set these settings.

Dannybear
Master
Master
@jguerdat
Thanks for your advice on this. I am using the IOS App on a iPhone 5s, the changes that I see on the App I believe are real as they reflect changes to the operation of the system. I guess it is possible that the app itself could be causing the changes so I will look to using the web App.
Dannybear
Master
Master
I had to enable video detection and siren activity on all my camera rules again. At least my custom modes were not deleted this time although my recording durations were set to manual for 10sec. I had been using the web interface so I believe this is not just down to the iOS App or my iPhone 5s. I have again reviewed the user manual with no clues to why this is happening. I can’t find any setting type backup or restore feature to easily correct the corrupted settings.
Seem a shame as the latest firmware and iOS App versions have been the best for me so far.
Dannybear
Master
Master
Similar issue occurred again within 8 hours of the last time, again not exactly the same settings changed that were before.
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @Dannybear,

Is this issue happening after you updated to the latest Arlo app version, which is 2.7.0?

Dannybear
Master
Master
@JessicaP
Yes I had updated to the latest App version 2.7.0 and had the issue again occur 8 hours ago. Schedules get deleted, rules in modes are altered, cameras in the rules get removed.
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

I would say try to uninstall the app and then create the schedules and rules in modes and cameras fresh new on the web version. Try to monitor it for a day and see if that works. Once it's good, try to reinstall it and see if that fixes it.

Dannybear
Master
Master
@JessicaP,
Thank you for assistance with this. The System has been stable for a few days now., the only changes made were described in this thread.
https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-2/Mode-Keeps-Changing/m-p/1669129#M20929
I will consider doing your suggested actions if it occurs again. If I give it a week then try adding in the activity zones and monitor for a bit.
Dannybear
Master
Master
@JessicaP,
Well it’s been over a week now since I had issues with the schedules, modes and rules changing by themselves.
What I did a week ago was delete all my activity zones on my externally powered cameras. I also had the siren enabled on some of my cameras in my rules and the other camera without the siren mode displayed. It was interesting to note that camera with out the siren mode displayed were always deleted from that rule. I have since added the siren to all my cameras in rules and disabled the siren on the unwanted camera. (You can add the siren in the rules by selecting add device and choose the base station, then set it to enable or do nothing.)
I will now try adding activity zones back onto the externally powered cameras to see if the issues returns.
If that works ok for a few days then start deleting the siren mode in the rules that are set as disabled.
Dannybear
Master
Master
@JessicaP,
Ok, added activity zones to my externally powered cameras and tested the motion detection and it does not work. Deleted the activity zones and proved the infrared detector works ok. Then noted that all my schedules, cameras, modes and rules settings were either altered or deleted. All this while using the web browser so it is not the App on the phone or the web browser.
I will now try a complete wipe and start all over again.
Dannybear
Master
Master
@JessicaP,
I did a complete wipe of the system and rebuilt the modes, schedules, rules and camera settings. I then added the activity zones and found that they worked as intended. Then after a few hours the problem with the settings returned and so had to rebuild everything again. I have since removed the activity zones.
Dannybear
Master
Master
Just a update to keep the thread alive.

Added a activity zone to one of my cabled cameras today and then deleted it again. Spent the next 30min setting up my schedules, modes, rules, recording and notifications again after they were all corrupted.

I took a look at the smart plan for activity zones and the arlo video did not inspire me to pay for a working version of this feature.
Dannybear
Master
Master
Ok so doing a factory reset of the base station (again) does not resolve the issues of corrupted operating settings for me trying to use basic activity zones. Just waiting for further advice from support.
Dannybear
Master
Master
Just a reminder to myself that doing a factory reset wipes all of the operational camera settings so will need to rebuild modes, schedules, rules and geofencing will need to be reconfigured using the workaround to get multiple devices recognised.

Working through the rebuild process of the operational settings is time consuming and buggy using the iOS App and using the web browser is no better I have found. (could just be just chrome I admit)
It is understandable why users have weird status changes etc while making changes.
I note that it can take a long time (few mins) for the changes to stick as they are made, I recall someone saying that it can take up to 24hrs for the local servers to sync to main server where the settings are stored for backup. Just throwing it out there.😑
Dannybear
Master
Master
Well things just get weird, happened to check one of my cameras again today and noticed that it had basic activity zones applied. These were deleted on this camera after the previous exercise and have been rechecked since to have been deleted. Where did they come from I wonder.
Then to chuck a another into the mix, I deleted them and then spent the next half hour rebuilding my operating modes again.
I hope arlo will come up with a better method of backup and restore settings than using there server. Rant.
Dannybear
Master
Master
Well not much progress, seems that more weird effects of this problem are that the action devices can be changed in the rules and so it records another camera instead, also that recording times get fixed to minimum and so will not record until motion stopped.
Seems that there is no pattern to what gets corrupted, just pot luck that you notice it when it occurs.
Dannybear
Master
Master
Well another week has gone by with nothing further to report.☹️
Dannybear
Master
Master
Ok, I’m satisfied that this is a arlo firmware bug causing this. I will call it the AZ Ultra bug. Interestingly this bug neatly interacts with the PZ Ultra bug and the GF Ultra bug to make your arlo experience that much more exciting.

Anyway the solution is for Arlo’s software team to resolve this.
ProjectAlmond
Aspirant
Aspirant

The system will not let me set times for the cameras to turn off and on when I want them to

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Details. What have you tried?

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation