Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 23 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
Dannybear
Master
Master
I have a recurring crash issue with the latest iOS app when viewing newly detected recordings in the cloud library from my iPhone 5s. The app reboots after I delete the tenth video. Anyone else annoyed with this behaviour?
23 REPLIES 23
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Dannybear,

Have you tried reinstalling the app? Do you still experience the same behavior?

JamesC

Dannybear
Master
Master
Hi JamesC,
I have not tried reinstalling the app as yet as it stuffs up the geofencing with dual mobiles. I checked the issue again today and it still behaves the same as well as the same with the partner’s mobile which is the same iPhone 5s and app version. Based on the above if you feel there is value in reinstalling the app on the mobiles I can give it a go and stuff about with geofencing again.
Dannybear
Master
Master
I deleted the Arlo App on my iPhone and installed V2.7.0 iOS version and can confirm that the crashing issue still exists for my mobile.
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

Interesting.  Personally, I have only had the crashing issue with V2.7.0.  It was stable on 2.6.3 for my various Apple devices.

Dannybear
Master
Master
Hi AncientGeek,
Just to clarify the issue only relates to deleting multiple library videos and it would seem to only be on iPhone 5s. The previous V2.6.3 iOS never crashed for me unless doing the above operations. V2.7.0 has been as stable for me so far except for the above with no other issues except for the non supported hevc error on snapshots. I have yet to check geofencing performance though .
Dannybear
Master
Master
I got around to checking if the geofencing operation was impacted by the latest firmware and iPhone App updates. All good, worked correctly.
As for the crashing issue when deleting videos, still does this on my two iPhone 5s and also on my iPad Air 2. The iPad just locks up and requires a power down reboot to work again.
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Dannybear wrote:
I got around to checking if the geofencing operation was impacted by the latest firmware and iPhone App updates. All good, worked correctly.
As for the crashing issue when deleting videos, still does this on my two iPhone 5s and also on my iPad Air 2. The iPad just locks up and requires a power down reboot to work again.

My wife’s Air 2 locks up for a minute or perhaps two, but I think just the app itself locks up not the entire iPad.  She can close the app and do other things while she complains to me about Arlo.  V2.7.0 crashes often for me.  Usually when watching a video or waiting for thumbnails to fill in.  I have been trying different things.  If I scroll through my devices quickly, I can get way down the list (35 cameras) before it locks up.  Then I wait for some progress by the app before it frees up again.  I go to Library and get prompted for the plan to which I already subscribe.  I close the annoying prompt. The thumbnail locations all show up as rectangles with swirlies in the middle and they sit there swirling.  If I touch one, I will see a blank white screen where the video should be.  If I touch it again, I’ll see a white circle where the Play arrow should be.  If I touch that, the video will start to play.  Sometimes it plays successfully and sometimes the app crashes.  If it is successful and I return to the Library screen, the thumbnails are all filled out when I return.

Dannybear
Master
Master
Just an update, installed iOS App v2.7.2 on iPhone 5s and this has not resolved the issue I have when deleting multiple videos from library while playing them.
Dannybear
Master
Master
Just an update to keep the thread alive.

I tried to delete twelve videos in my cloud library today while viewing and the iOS App v2.7.4 crashes.

I wonder if I subscribe to Arlo’s smart plan I would not have the App crashing anymore......
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Dannybear wrote:
Just an update to keep the thread alive.

I tried to delete twelve videos in my cloud library today while viewing and the iOS App v2.7.4 crashes.

I wonder if I subscribe to Arlo’s smart plan I would not have the App crashing anymore......

I have an open case for performance problems and crashes.  Yesterday, I was informed that V2.7.5 is about to become available and will reportedly solve a lot of crashing problems.  We shall see.  I hope it is a long step toward the excellent performance I still get from V2.5.5 on my 10.5” iPad Pro.  I erased and restored that iPad after a few weeks of suffering on V2.6.0 and I’ve protected V2.5.5 from updates on that device ever since.  My other iPads and iPhones are all current on V2.7.4 which performs horribly on iPads.  Worse on older iPads like our iPad Air 2, where it takes 1.5 minutes for the app to startup.  It even takes over 30 seconds on my 11” iPad Pro.  Both see some crashes, but the iPad Air 2 is more prone to them. I haven’t even tried it on older iPads.   iPhones are better for some reason.  The winner is still V2.5.5 on my 10.5” iPad Pro where the app starts up in 5 seconds and doesn’t seem to clear crash much.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While we're at it, NEVER delete videos since we have too many requests to then be able to recover them, which isn't possible. ALso, download proactively to protect yourself from missing needed videos later.

Dannybear
Master
Master
@jguerdat
Thanks for the advice on deleting videos. I myself have USB backup on the base and archive the videos when full. I just like to be able to clear the cloud recordings as i’m viewing them.

@AchientGeek

Thanks for the **bleep** bit on the impending App update, I hope it will also be accompanied by some firmware update fixes.
Dannybear
Master
Master
Alas, looks like I will need to wait for iOS v2.76 App update to see if this crashing issue gets fixed.
😔
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Dannybear wrote:
Alas, looks like I will need to wait for iOS v2.76 App update to see if this crashing issue gets fixed.
😔

I will have to play with it more to see if I experience any crashes.  My biggest issue was the app freeze on startup.  My wife's iPad Air 2 took 1.5 minutes to start the app on V2.7.4 and versions prior (but after 2.5.5).  V2.7.5 now starts up in about 10 seconds and doesn't freeze up.  Even faster on my 11" iPad Pro.  It actually works like it SHOULD!  Amazing that this makes me so happy.  My wife will be shocked and pleased (but skeptical about the next release)

I wish it solved your crashing problem.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

I see my camera display order is still messed up.  With 35 cameras, my left two columns of cameras are shifted to the middle and right, while my right column has been shifted to the far left and offset downward by about a sixteenth of an inch.  I don’t think this happens with 30 or fewer cameras.

Dannybear
Master
Master
Yes, It would have been nice to have my issue fixed, there is always next time hey....

I do not experience the same issue as you have on any of my iOS devices including the air 2 iPad but glad to hear it’s working now for the wife.

I myself don’t have much experience with iOS App development but find it strange that we seem to get so many different problems at an individual level.
What I mean is that I’ve never had to perform so many App reinstalls etc on any other App before.
Having said that, the App has been operating reliably for the past few updates for me.

Hope you get your 35 camera order sorted. I only have 4 cameras here so I can’t compete.
stuckpipe
Tutor
Tutor

The lastest version 2.7.5 still crashes on my iPad Pro with the elite plan and 16 cameras just after updating/streams to live.  Please give me back 2.6.1.  

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@stuckpipe wrote:

The lastest version 2.7.5 still crashes on my iPad Pro with the elite plan and 16 cameras just after updating/streams to live.  Please give me back 2.6.1.  

Which iPad Pro?  What actions exactly trigger the crash?  I have three iPad Pros.  My 10.5” is still running 2.5.5, but my 11” and original 12.9” both have 2.7.5 loaded on them as well as iOS 12.2 

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

I just started up 9 live views on my 12.9’ iPad Pro and it did not crash.  I actually thought 5 was the limit, but clearly it isn’t 

As I mentioned, this iPad is running iOS 12.2 and Arlo app  V2.7.5.  I monitor 35 cameras on my iOS devices and also have the Smart Elite Plan.

Dannybear
Master
Master
@stuckpipe

Can I suggest you open a new topic about using iOS v2.7.5 so others can add in their expertise.
The title on this topic is a little misleading and more related to a specific issue I’ve had since updating to that version.
I keep like to keep this thread active so it doesn’t get closed and lost in the noise.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@AncientGeek wrote:

I just started up 9 live views on my 12.9’ iPad Pro and it did not crash.  I actually thought 5 was the limit, but clearly it isn’t

Not to get too far afield with this but are the cameras spaced over multiple bases and/or ar Q or Go cameras? Supposedly the limit is 5 streaming at once per base. The app shouldn't have the limitation itself.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@jguerdat wrote:

@AncientGeek wrote:

Not to get too far afield with this but are the cameras spaced over multiple bases and/or ar Q or Go cameras? Supposedly the limit is 5 streaming at once per base. The app shouldn't have the limitation itself.

I just went back to look at my iPad to see which 9 cameras all appear on the same screen.  I believe I was viewing 9 cameras on two base stations.  If I shifted down one row, it would have been four base stations and an Arlo-Q Plus.    Each screen is a different story across the 35 devices I monitor.  It is a mix for sure.

Thanks for the explanation.

Dannybear
Master
Master
Just to confirm that updating to arlo App v2.7.5 has not resolved the app crashing issue I have on my iOS devices. It just crashes the app after deleting the twelfth video while viewing them from the library.☹️
Discussion stats
  • 23 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation