Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo on cam outside, one inside? FoV and viewing distance? camera placement?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
GuyMarshall
Follower
Follower

Good afternoon. I have a few questions.

Can one camera be used for outside and one for inside?

For outside, what should I expect for a FOV, and viewing distance?

What distance do you recommend for camera placement, and the outside porch light?

Will that light, if it goes on, effect the image quality?

Thank you for your help - GuyMarshall

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Inside, outside makes no difference. What matters most, especially for outside, is to not try to grab too large a view. Zero in on your doorway and the walk lading to it or similar. People detection is only out to 20-25 feet so anything more can be wasted view and leads to detection of vehicles driving by. Set the camera so that motion is as much side to side as possible for best results (doesn't have to be perfectly perpendicular). An outdoor light is a boon for nighttime videos but don't get the light itself in the view as that will screw up the autoexposure. If it's far enough in the distance it may not matter but testing will be needed.

There are FAQs here for almost anything you might want to know. Check them out, download the user manual and have fun!

VancouverBC
Luminary
Luminary

@GuyMarshallwrote:

Good afternoon. I have a few questions.

Can one camera be used for outside and one for inside?

For outside, what should I expect for a FOV, and viewing distance?

Regarding inside camera, you can customize Modes combined with your cellphone and geofencing so that when your cellphone is in the vicinity of your house, the inside camera "dismarms", another word for recording video on motion detection.

For any camera under Devices, there is an option for "Camera Positioning", that as you position the camera you can see in real time what your camera is viewing. And there is no recordin during camera positioning mode.

PS. A suggestion-provide a subject line to your post as everything here has to do with "Arlo". Still I was curious and clicked anyways.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation