Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Receiving a text message w/ a screenshot by sending email notifications to carrier's email via MMS

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
constantballoon
Aspirant
Aspirant

I came across a post suggesting that push notifications should come with screenshots. Someone responded with a work-around that involved sending email notifications to your carrier's email/phone MMS address, for me that is T-mobile (tmomail.net). However these MMS messages do not display the pictures nor the link to the video. What I receive is a message that has an HTML attachment and within this attachment is the plain-text of the email notification. This is on an iPhone. I was wondering if this happens to anyone else and if they found another way around this?

*plain-text phenomenon is all through MMS (tmomail.net). I can view pictures and links to the footage perfectly fine when viewing the actual email via browser or email app.

I suspect that since the notification prompt and any other fancy templates from the notification emails exceed the KBs allowed so the carrier strips the bare minimum and sends just the words. Or there may be some spam algorithm in place to block pictures and links

5 REPLIES 5
constantballoon
Aspirant
Aspirant

VancouverBC
Luminary
Luminary

@constantballoonwrote:

I came across a post suggesting that push notifications should come with screenshots. Someone responded with a work-around that involved sending email notifications to your carrier's email/phone MMS address, for me that is T-mobile (tmomail.net).

Is a work around that when you hear push notification that you switch to your email app or client and check for new mail? There is a thumbnail image of the beginning of the recording. With so many notifications in a day I've given up checking each and every one. I'll review the library a couple times per day to see what's happening around the house. 

constantballoon
Aspirant
Aspirant

The workaround was that you entered your phone number's email address (I think all US based carriers have these for their customers) into the email notifacation delivery settings. This email address actually gets sent via MMS so its similar to a push but would of shown the email within the text message. I suppose opening my Gmail app would work as well but having the mms pop up on its own was nice.

I just had the system installed a day ago so I'm still on high alert with all of these notifications. I am actually losing sleep haha but its mostly people walking their dogs or joggers.

VancouverBC
Luminary
Luminary

Do you have the Arlo app installed on your Android or iPhone? If your phone or tablet has a data or wifi connection, the app receives push notification and you can look at either the Device or Library to see an image of what triggered the recording and can play back the video from the Library screen. Clicking Live on the Device screen will let you see in real time what's going on in the field of view. 

I predict for you, by day 3 the novelty of pulling out the phone for every ding will lose its appeal! For me now, if my phone in my pants pocket vibrates and dings around 10:30 AM chances are we got mail that the mailman/woman just dropped it off. In the afternoon, without pulling out the phone, a vibration and a ding about the same time everyday tells me my wife just got home. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

In addition, if you're getting notifications for every jogger/dog walker, I suspect you cameras and/or sensitivity need tweaking. For best results, position the camera to only view what's important. Newbies frequently have the camera set to see the sidewalk, roadway and low-flying airplanes. Tilt it down to eliminate that part of the view so it's only on your door, sidewalk, driveway or whatever is truly important. You may need to reposition the camera for a different view altogether.

If you can't do that, edit your modes and lower the sensitivity a bit at a time until it gets to reasonable levels. There are FAQs here that step you through the whole procedure but quickly, use the Mode tab, select your base and edit your modes (Armed by default). All settings are in your modes. Whatever changes you make should be saved at every opportunity. Better yet, use the FAQs to set up your own custom modes so you ave full control.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation