Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Waymar
Guide
Guide

Please can you return the basic camera to the position you had it before this update.  I liked to be able to see at a glance which camera had a low battery or had just been activated. It was previously visible on the devices screen without having to open each camera.

342 REPLIES 342
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@AncientGeek wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

@Waymar wrote:
Pleased your status icons are back. I have the latest iOS 2.6.2 update but still the status icons are not showing on the home screen. I still have to open each camera to see the battery level. Very frustrating,

These Arlo development guys are stubborn. Yes, battery icon is back but it still take two taps to see the percentage. Why??? When I launch the app i want battery percentage there. Who doesn’t?

The “two steps” certainly seems like a waste of our time, for sure.  But in my experience on my system, I have found a full battery icon means the battery is 76%-100%, mostly full icon means 51%-75%, half full icon means 25%-50% and 1/4 full icon of normal color means 25% or less, but above the critical level....which I’ve forgotten...is that 15% or 10% or something like that?  So I usually ignore the exact % until I see the half full icon.  Then I have to do the two-step click to see how low it really is.

I remember back in the day when i had my Windows phone and microsoft wouldn’t put battery percentage on their phones. I was dumbfounded. I had to download a battery app. 

Its such a simple thing for Arlo to do yet they won’t do it. 

Waymar
Guide
Guide
Thank you Ancientgeek. The battery level to show on the main page home screen is the main feature I want back. So ARLO IT please put this feature back. ASAP
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Waymar wrote:
Thank you Ancientgeek. The battery level to show on the main page home screen is the main feature I want back. So ARLO IT please put this feature back. ASAP

On the iOS app Version 2.6.2, the battery indicator on the Devices screen has been returned to much the same as it was on V2.5.5.  There are some icon differences, for example, when a solar panel is generating power, but the camera battery is too cold to charge, the battery icon changes to an amber triangle with a lightning bolt in it.   The big difference now from V2.5.5, however, is that we are required to make a second (currently useless) drill down to another level to see the exact percentage.  On V2.5.5 we just hit the gear and saw it with one click. 

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@paddos wrote:
Still using 2.5.5 until I see how new 2.6.2 shakes out. Looks like motion recordings are no longer being added to the library while using the older version of the app.

Any one else experiencing this using 2.5.5?

I have over 90 recordings visible in my library today under V2.5.5 .  I also running V2.6.2 on other platforms.  I don’t know if that might be a factor.

PerryArlo
Guide
Guide
While there are a number of fixes with the latest version, the following issues I have previously reported are still present:
- tapping the screen during playback from library brings up the pause button. It used to clear the controls on top and bottom. Now there is no way to see the entire video without controls in the way other than downloading it
- You can’t see all your activity zones at once to see how they overlap and cover overall.
emt803
Star
Star
Have the new update. The new smart notifications you can choose what to send notifications people,cars, animals says that my cameras are disabled for the when I try to enable them in app and website says I don’t have permission. I do have an smart subscription on my cameras
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Check the phone's app permissions. Perhaps something isn't enabled.

paddos
Apprentice
Apprentice
Bad Arlo news today. Stock dropped 23% after lowering Q4 results ... quality issue with new Ultra Camera! Battery issue found in late testing. Growing pains not limited to buggy releases ... now hardware release issues. Good news they found it before releasing to customers.
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@paddos wrote:
Bad Arlo news today. Stock dropped 23% after lowering Q4 results ... quality issue with new Ultra Camera! Battery issue found in late testing. Growing pains not limited to buggy releases ... now hardware release issues. Good news they found it before releasing to customers.

I had not previously heard about the Ultra Camera. 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/arlo-ultra-indoor-outdoor-wire-free-4k-hdr-security-camera-system-white...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Interesting that the Ultra is being panned when it's not only not in production but not even in beta.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@jguerdat wrote:

Interesting that the Ultra is being panned when it's not only not in production but not even in beta.

Well, there are people who tend to avoid allowing truth to get in the way of a good story...or a chance to denegrate someone or something they don't like for some (usually self-serving) reason.  I see this in reviews from time to time.  A reviewer doesn't have any experience with the device, but has a negative opinon on it anyway.

I personally don't care for 180 degree FOV because the camera resolution gets spread out over such a wide area, I lose detail in any one area.  Even 130 or 140 degrees is problematic on an inside corner at night.  Though it would create model proliferation and, no doubt, some customer confusion...I'd value an choice of 90, 130/140 and 180 for different real life situations.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I agree 110% with you. I keep asking for longer focal length lenses with no luck. I don't understand the trend to wider and wider views, especially when you can't reasonably zoom in to see details. I really want an ID-type camera to supplement the wide-angle activity cams. While 4k is a nice update (8 megapixels vs. 1 (720p) or 2 (1080p)), spreading it over a wider view diminishes the utility. 1080 would be fine IF a much smaller FOV were used.

It seems more like a specification war...

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@jguerdat wrote:

I agree 110% with you. I keep asking for longer focal length lenses with no luck. I don't understand the trend to wider and wider views, especially when you can't reasonably zoom in to see details. I really want an ID-type camera to supplement the wide-angle activity cams. While 4k is a nice update (8 megapixels vs. 1 (720p) or 2 (1080p)), spreading it over a wider view diminishes the utility. 1080 would be fine IF a much smaller FOV were used.

It seems more like a specification war...

I agree.  Spec war.  I used to wonder why Axis had so many cameras with narrow FOV and then I realized how extremely useful they are in many situations.  It really takes a portfolio of FOVs to meet various needs.

I received a Guardzilla Outdoor 360 camera through the Best Buy Technical Insider Network last summer.  It was fairly useless IMHO.  Cool for looking around, but images required a special viewer or came through as a flat pano image.  It didn't take long to say "gimick" to that one.

I now use Axis cameras for the narrow FOV, outdoor POE and for real PTZ...also local continuous recording that is viewable from a remote location.  Expensive, but useful.  I still like Arlo overall for many applications.  And Nestcams also.  Crazy, but it takes three vendors to get everything I want, plus I gain the elimination of a single point of failure.  If one system fails for some reason, I have some ability to see what's going on nearby through another system.  It does add a source of confusion.  The other day I hooked up an Arlo-Q Plus via POE to my Axis Companion Recorder.  It worked (POE and Network) and there was no harm done, but it was a DUH moment for me.

Janetteramsey
Star
Star

This is how a real company handles customers when they make mistakes

As most EZLynx users noticed, our product has experienced poor performance recently. This has been the result of a major product update that we have been working to release over the past month – EZLynx version 4.18.09. We ended up rolling back the release to better understand the issue.

My sincere apologies to our customers for any inconvenience this caused. I want to take this opportunity to explain why we do product updates on weekdays and outline some internal changes we have decided to implement to help us avoid another incident like this.

When we are ready to release a new update, we have already done extensive internal analysis, including load metrics to understand as much as possible how the update might perform in our live environment. It is important to understand that it is extremely difficult to guarantee 100% success with any load testing in a real-time transaction system like EZLynx. When our quality assurance team has signed off on the release, we generally target Thursday or Friday for a release so that we can monitor the system performance at a normal level of usage. These days are typically our slower days but still high enough to give us a good feel for the release. This leaves us all weekend to resolve any quick fix issues that are discovered, ensuring that we minimize the possibility of having to roll back the update.

EZLynx takes pride in innovation and pushing the boundaries of what technology can do. We constantly make improvements to our products so that we can bring new and exciting features to your agency regularly – and we will continue to do so.

Stephs_net
Apprentice
Apprentice

While I am excited about the new Arlo products like the Ultra camera, I hope the efforts to chase new customers with the new product will not negatively impact Arlo's support of all their products.  Coinciding with with last iOS update, I lost the ability to do hourly recordings using IFTTT.  I had this working beautifully for 3 months.  Now nada.  I hope in the rush to get the Ultra out they don't neglect their reponsibility to their customer base who own the Pro 2 and other cameras.

The iOS app is better but it still needs lots of work.  For example - the thumbnails are still not refreshing.  They should refresh automatically so you just open the app and get a recent view - not say one that is 11 days old!

Rellis
Star
Star
Arlo, where the philosophy seems to be 'who needs testers, that's what customers are for'
ant
Mentor
Mentor

@paddos wrote:

I bet they will release it in the end of this month with bugs and then fix them later that can take years like previous Arlos. Other companies do this too. 😞

ant
Mentor
Mentor

@Rellis wrote:
Arlo, where the philosophy seems to be 'who needs testers, that's what customers are for'

Arlo isn't the only company with this philosophy too. Look at Microsoft and others. Companies don't want to have their own QA testers to find issues internally before beta testers and users. Hence why I am still unemployed after a couple years. 😞