Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Waymar
Guide
Guide

Please can you return the basic camera to the position you had it before this update.  I liked to be able to see at a glance which camera had a low battery or had just been activated. It was previously visible on the devices screen without having to open each camera.

342 REPLIES 342
ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

@lico wrote:

Total 6 camera's 1/2 work now?

Camera 1 should trigger record camera's 1,2,3,4. Now only records 1,2,3. Checked camera set up & is correct. it is keyed to record #4.Restarted base and still have problem.

I observed the same thing.I have a similar setup with four cameras triggering at once and it seems they changed something that doesn't allow more than three recording at once anymore. I see the motion icon turn orange, but doesn't record on the 4th. It seems it is at a first come first serve basis for the three that record. The fourth always loses, whichever it was gonna be at the time. That used to work just fine. You have to pick the three most important by varying the sensitivity.

Another punch in the gut. I think their whole server system can't keep up anymore and they have to cut corners and get no better system financed. That also explains the ridiculously delayed notifications for cameras that are SMART activated. Their whole server system is puking, simple as that.

LieseA1
Initiate
Initiate

@Nichols55 wrote:

What is the purpose of the giant square in the middle of my iphone videos?   

It seems to be the “Stop” or “Close” button. Opposite function of the new triangle “Play” button. 

Joanne1962
Initiate
Initiate

I also am not happy ! I lost live stream ability to view batteries levels this app sucks please set firmware back to the green icon it worked fine. 

Janetteramsey
Star
Star
So I just paid for the ark app since I have so many cameras. I used to see icons for Police call a friend siren but now you have to search HEY IDIOTS I COULD BE DEAD. I’m so over this they get something working then make something else worse. Maybe it’s time to get consumer affairs involved. I’m out way ones $10000 and this system sucks
LieseA1
Initiate
Initiate

Before the update, I could view all 5 cameras as “tiles” or thumbnails on my iPad, then tap the one I wanted and the view would enlarge to fill the screen. 

Now, each camera feed fills the screen and I scroll up/down to see each one in turn.

Because I’m trying to watch an elderly parent, I sometimes want to see 2 or 3 cameras at once on the screen, even if size and clarity are reduced. 

Does anyone know if there’s still a way to elect a multi-camera view for the iPad?

(And, btw, I ditto all the complaints about moving the battery life and signal strength icons off the main view. Dumb!)

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Janetteramsey wrote:
So I just paid for the ark app since I have so many cameras. I used to see icons for Police call a friend siren but now you have to search HEY IDIOTS I COULD BE DEAD. I’m so over this they get something working then make something else worse. Maybe it’s time to get consumer affairs involved. I’m out way ones $10000 and this system sucks

The Alarm and e911 buttons are a “pull down” from the top of the screen.  Not obvious, but easy once you know where they are.

Janetteramsey
Star
Star
Tried it exceptionally hard on iPhone tried 10 times got it once again I could be dead no security
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@LieseA1 wrote:

Before the update, I could view all 5 cameras as “tiles” or thumbnails on my iPad, then tap the one I wanted and the view would enlarge to fill the screen. 

Now, each camera feed fills the screen and I scroll up/down to see each one in turn.

Because I’m trying to watch an elderly parent, I sometimes want to see 2 or 3 cameras at once on the screen, even if size and clarity are reduced. 

Does anyone know if there’s still a way to elect a multi-camera view for the iPad?

(And, btw, I ditto all the complaints about moving the battery life and signal strength icons off the main view. Dumb!)

I don’t believe there is a way to do that.  Lots of users are complaining about the loss of this capability.  I’ve hunted and hunted, but haven’t found any setting that controls this. 

The Axis app allows me to control the number of images on the screen.  See attached...

It is a nice model for this functionality.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

@LieseA1 wrote:

Yes I totally agree with you viewing 5 cameras is so much better than scrolling up and down to view. 

But you need to check out the preview pic in iTunes Store for the Arlo app it is showing all 5 cameras on a screen like the old version. WTH?

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Retired_Member wrote:

Yes I totally agree with you viewing 5 cameras is so much better than scrolling up and down to view. 

But you need to check out the preview pic in iTunes Store for the Arlo app it is showing all 5 cameras on a screen like the old version. WTH?

I noticed that also.  I assumed it was just not updated.  We can hope that it represents a plan to return to the prior display.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

@AncientGeek wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

I noticed that also.  I assumed it was just not updated.  We can hope that it represents a plan to return to the prior display.

Yes but the version in the pic in itunes was never released to the public. You can see in the pic the device name is at bottom of each camera plus other new “enhancements”. 

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Retired_Member wrote:

@AncientGeek wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

Yes but the version in the pic in itunes was never released to the public. You can see in the pic the device name is at bottom of each camera plus other new “enhancements”. 

Good catch!  I missed that.  Fingers crossed for delivery of what is shown there plus the return of some information we are all requesting rather vocally.

Hangarwatch
Guide
Guide

Seriously!!  I'd go back to the previous version anytime.  It is why I purchaced a total of 20 cameras (2 systems) in the first place. It worked well.  Now I can't see the battery level without going into each camera.  Now I can't change the Mode on my PC (no pencil icon).  Now I can't view multiple screens on my IPad, just one big screen after the other.  So many things went wrong with this update.  Roll it back!  Fix the problems in beta and then release when you have really improved it.

>>>>With the latest updates to the mobile app, some of the UI has been changed to enhance the overall user experience. For more information on these changes, take a look here: What enhancements are included in the Arlo app release version 2.6.0?

JamesC<<<<<

lu8890
Aspirant
Aspirant

since the latest iOS UI update, there are two major issues that really bothers me:

1. I have no clue how to access library if there is no new image notification.  currently, I could only access library of a specific camera only if there is a new captuer notification from the main page, other wise, after few days of search, I still have no clue how to access library if no capture notification is avaialble.

2. I used to able to log in and see which camera needs attention of their battery.  It used ot work very well.  But with the latest iOS update, it is now EXTREMELY ANNOYING, that it takes two clicks for each camera (and sometimes it takes sometime to load page).  the previously UI really work very well, and I am not sure how message you guys received from your user experience study to come up with the conclusion to hide battery information....  extremely annoying, because they are wireless, depends on location, some may last longer, some going pretty fast.  I used to able to login and get an overview on which camera needs attetion for battery, now to took a log longer to go thru each one of them individually, I am really unhappy with this change.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Hangarwatch wrote:

Seriously!!  I'd go back to the previous version anytime.  It is why I purchaced a total of 20 cameras (2 systems) in the first place. It worked well.  Now I can't see the battery level without going into each camera.  Now I can't change the Mode on my PC (no pencil icon).  Now I can't view multiple screens on my IPad, just one big screen after the other.  So many things went wrong with this update.  Roll it back!  Fix the problems in beta and then release when you have really improved it.

>>>>With the latest updates to the mobile app, some of the UI has been changed to enhance the overall user experience. For more information on these changes, take a look here: What enhancements are included in the Arlo app release version 2.6.0?

JamesC<<<<<

So to check battery percentage for all 20 cameras you need to tap 60 times! Lol have fun!

Stephs_net
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi, I wanted to add my view that the new app is harder to use.  I like seeing the little icons by each camera especially battery and wifi connection.

I was pleased to see the interface via computer web browser has not changed and has all the info at a glance.  Netgear really should change the look of the iOS app to keep the ease and functionality it had before.

thanks, steph

RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Again, Netgear is out. Arlo is its own stand alone company now.
phahn53
Tutor
Tutor
I totally agree with the previous comments and issues with the latest update and in addition when I try to add a zone nothing appears to add a zone .
Boostland
Star
Star
Battery status now shown for all cameras in latest app version
sybersnot
Apprentice
Apprentice
I think they just didn't update the advertisement
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

Sub-title...”Zero” is information, also.  And in this case...lost functionality.

Today, I had a video of a fox walking up our driveway, but the video froze after a few seconds even though the progress bar kept going.  I found a second video on another camera that also froze.  So I forced the app to close and restart. Then I went back the recheck the videos.  Since I had viewed them, there was no long a number showing on my home screen where we used to see a zero.  So instead of clicking on the “0” and immediately seeing the images that were recorded for the camera I’m viewing, I have to click on “Library”, “Filter”, Devices”, locate the device (possibly involving a long scroll down list that includes six devices I don’t even have on my system currently...cameras I have retired at some point over the last two years) click on that device, then “Filter”, then “Done”.  Finally I’m back to where I would have been with a single touch before 2.6.0 was rolled out.  Unfortunately, one of the two videos was still frozen, but one worked properly after restarting the app.  So add frozen video to the bug list.

Of course, my point here isn’t the video, it is that quickly filtering library videos/images by touching the “0” on the Home screen is something we did many times each day.  It was trivial and very useful.  It was a key feature of the mobile app.  Now it is a royal PiTA.

My wife and her siblings use this information to monitor their 89 year old father in his home.  The new UI has set them all back and made them all angry.  These are important systems you are messing with!  

Please bring back the multi-device view with all of the information/functionality we had and relied upon previously. 

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Our intent with the app update is to streamline the user experience to allow users to focus more easily on the device list as our portfolio grows. The resulting design alerts users only when the battery is low – the battery icon will always appear on the home page when the battery is at 25% or less. A yellow icon will appear to represent 25% battery life, and if the battery falls lower than 25%, it will change to red. The same goes for a weak WiFi signal. However, for our wire-free cameras, the plug icon will always appear on the screen when the device is plugged in.

For more information on these changes, take a look here: What enhancements are included in the Arlo app release version 2.6.0 or higher?

Arlo Development Team

Jtxnet
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi JessicaP!

It is nice to have someone from Arlo officially chime in with greater detail on this . . thank you.

With all due respect, however, I would challenge (as would likely many community forum members on this topic) the user assumptions you folks made with this new UI that do not match up with how real users with multiple cameras actually manage them day to day. . .especially with regard to the use of the battery indicator.  Practical examples related to the “25%” warning concept you described:  

1) battery fall off (especially for the CR123A powered cams) is not at all linear after one hits 65-70% remaining.  Numerous times (I have the max amount of cameras in the top plan) I have watched cameras take over two months to get below 70% and fall in a day or two after that down to 7%.   So getting first view warning on the first screen only starting at 25% is way too late.

2) so if one expects to be away from the house the task required is to be able to scan quickly through the initial preview screen, note any batteries showing less then full, then (with the former UI) doing one click to find out where the battery is detailed percentage wise so one can judge if the batteries should be pro-actively replaced based on one’s schedule.  With the new UI this task adds two more clicks per camera.  Perhaps adding an option to change the battery icon appearance threshold in settings may help a bit if you folks are intransigent on the new UI.

So I highly recommend to the Arlo team a thorough review of the multiple strings on this topic in the forums, paying closer attention to real user needs communicated via the forum and other sources . . ..then updating the app accordingly.   

Indeed if more time was spent on back end bugs and app bugs by your development with the prior version then users would have welcomed that vs. feeling slammed by the new UI.  Obviously technology firms not paying sufficient attention to users on such issues become dissatisfied which results in existing customers seeking other options and new users making other brand choices based on existing customer angst 🙂

Regards . .

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

Thank you, Jessica.  I think the user community has responded pretty clearly that the design assumptions regarding what we need to see at a glance don’t match what we, as users, have found useful or even critical in our every day use of the camera systems.

I caution the design team not to sub-optimize the utility of the UI for a group of existing customers in an attempt to accommodate a new family of products.   It appears you may be overloading an existing mobile app with too much variability in the needs of the underlying product family.  One size rarely fits all and the user community might be better served by dedicated apps for certain classes of products.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

I would add that Nest made this mistake several years ago after buying DropCam and forcing users to move to Nest’s dramatically inferior App at that time.  It took Nest about two years to return the app to the level of functionality offered by the DropCam app.  In the meantime, people like me researched other camera systems and started buying Arlo’s and others.   Don’t make the same mistake.  Please!