Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 27 Replies
  • 24 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation
Royce54s
Follower
Follower

Now that I have had my four Arlo Pro cameras for seven months, they come out with the Pro 2. No reason to ditch four almost new cameras to get 1080. Guess I should have waited, but who knew how long ? LOL R

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Royce54s,

If you weren't already aware, the new Arlo Pro 2 camera is compatible with your existing Pro system. This allows you the flexibility to mix any cameras you already have with the new Arlo Pro 2 cameras.

Take a look here for a feature comparison between the two cameras: Arlo Products and Accessories

JamesC

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
Armijo1
Initiate
Initiate

What’s the major difference between Pro and Pro 2. Can you train in Pro cameras for pro 2 cameras?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Royce54s,

If you weren't already aware, the new Arlo Pro 2 camera is compatible with your existing Pro system. This allows you the flexibility to mix any cameras you already have with the new Arlo Pro 2 cameras.

Take a look here for a feature comparison between the two cameras: Arlo Products and Accessories

JamesC

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

P2 has 1080p vs. 720p resolution and can be used for continuous video recording (CVR) at an additional cost. CVR and the ability to use zones requires the camera to be AC-powered.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Just be aware that the Arlo Pro 2 cameras have very poor night vision performance compared to the original Arlo Pro. If you need them for night vision I would just stick with Arlo Pro unless there's some kind of fix available like a firmware update but who knows about that
NETthisGEAR
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hey Guys, 

Since this hasn't been posted here and people are still wondering. There is an article that tells you the key new features(posted below).

I am posting the changes from the Arlo Pro to the Arlo Pro 2, but below that I am also including the changes of the original Arlo to the Arlo Pro as well, just for reference for new people interested.

As per the article I am linking:

https://kb.netgear.com/000049468/What-new-features-does-Arlo-Pro-2-offer

Arlo Pro to Arlo Pro 2 changes:

• Full HD 1080p video resolution. Arlo Pro 2 offers crisp 1080p Full HD resolution with nearly identical battery life to Arlo Pro.
  • Look Back. When plugged in, Arlo Pro 2 uses a pre-buffer to record the three seconds before motion is detected. Your motion-triggered video recordings start before the motion happens, so you don’t miss a thing. Pre-buffering also offers lower latency than ever between motion detection and the start of video recording. When operating on battery power, Arlo Pro 2 does not pre-buffer.
  • Activity zones. When plugged in, Arlo Pro 2 allows you to set up activity zones.. You can select up to three rectangular zones for your Arlo Pro 2 camera to focus on. Motion detected in other areas of the camera’s field of view does not trigger video recordings. When the camera is not plugged in, activity zones are disabled.
  • CVR. When plugged in, Arlo Pro 2 is capable of continuous video recording (CVR) with an optional paid CVR plan. When the camera is not plugged in, CVR is disabled.
  • Compatible with Amazon Alexa. With Arlo Pro 2, you can pair your cameras with Amazon Alexa so you can use voice commands to view live video stream on an Amazon Echo Show or Fire TV.
  • Various charging options. With Arlo Pro 2, you can keep your camera charged by using the rechargeable battery, plugging it into a power outlet, or connecting it to the Arlo Solar Panel (sold separately).

Original Arlo to the Arlo Pro Changes:

https://kb.arlo.com/1145362/What-new-features-does-Arlo-Pro-offer

Rechargeable batteries (I wanted to mention that the original Arlo has rechargeable batteries availabe as well, but they are sold separately here)

• Arlo Pro Wire-Free cameras use rechargeable batteries. You can easily charge the Arlo Pro batteries when they are depleted and save money by not having to buy disposable batteries. You can even charge the batteries without removing them from the camera. 
    Note: Arlo Pro rechargeable batteries must be charged indoors.
  • If you don't want to take your Arlo Pro Wire-Free cameras down while they charge, an Arlo Pro charging station (sold separately) can charge two spare batteries (sold separately). You can easily swap batteries out with fully charged ones so that you can keep your home or business protected around the clock while minimizing camera downtime.

Flexible Power Options

With Arlo Pro, you can choose to stay wire-free or go wired. If you want to plug your cameras in, Arlo Pro has you covered. Arlo Pro Wire-Free cameras can be plugged into an AC outlet with no batteries needed. 
Note: You must use the supplied Arlo Pro power adapter and power adapter cable. The power adapter and power adapter cable are not weatherproof and must be used indoors.

2-way audio

Arlo Pro Wire-Free cameras have both a speaker and a microphone. Arlo Pro lets you record video with audio, send alerts triggered by sound, and even talk through the camera's speaker using the Arlo app. Like motion detection sensitivity, audio detection sensitivity can be adjusted in a camera's rules using the Arlo app or the web interface. For more information about changing audio sensitivity settings, see How do I change the audio sensitivity on my Arlo Q, Arlo Q Plus, or Arlo Pro Wire-Free cameras?.  

Advanced motion detection sensor

• With their improved motion sensing range, Arlo Pro Wire-Free cameras can detect motion up to 23 feet away.
  • Arlo Pro Wire-Free cameras respond to motion almost instantly, so you get the clearest possible recording of whatever triggered the motion alert.

Mix-and-match compatibility with other Arlo products

If you are already using Arlo products, you can keep using them. You can sync new Arlo Pro Wire-Free cameras with an existing Arlo base station or use a new Arlo Pro base station with your existing Arlo Wire-Free cameras. You can even mix and match existing Arlo Wire-Free cameras and new Arlo Pro Wire-Free cameras. No matter what models you're using, Arlo keeps you covered from every angle.

Siren

• The Arlo Pro base station has a siren that you can activate right from the Arlo app.
  • You can also automate the siren using Arlo modes to turn on the siren every time motion or sound is detected by a camera. For more information about modes, see What are modes and rules and how does Arlo use them?.

Increased field of view

Arlo Pro's improved 130-degree field of view makes it easier than ever to keep your home or business covered from every angle.

Local storage backup

Arlo Pro lets you connect a USB drive to the base station for local backup storage. For more information about setting up local storage, see How do I set up local storage backups on a USB device using my Arlo Pro base station?.

New skins

• Arlo Pro Wire-Free cameras pair well with optional Arlo Pro skins (sold separately) that protect the camera image lens against dust, condensation, and sun glare.
  • Arlo Pro's optional new skins are made of UV-resistant black silicone, ideal for disguising your cameras.
bruzr
Guide
Guide

It claims 1080p, which should help on zoom in daytime detail, but that is questionable....Night Vision is worthless, but from wide screen prospective, its dynamic from default, but any zoom in is really sad....! So Sad..!

jnallen
Guide
Guide

I am debating on getting a Arlo Pro 2 camera and adding to my exisiting Arlo pro system.  Has anyone had any problems doing this?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

All Arlo wireless cameras work on all Arlo base stations.

jnallen
Guide
Guide

Do you have one?  Most of the posts I have seen indicate the quality is pretty good at night.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have 2 Pro 2 cameras on my older Pro system. Others have Pro 2s on the original base/

ArloWorkPlease
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo, are you planning on fixing/improving the night vision on the Arlo Pro? If so, when? If not, don't think anyone will buy this if the nightvision doesn't really work.

PhilipB8
Tutor
Tutor

I am awaiting the imminent arrival of 4 Pro cameras which I was going to return unopened to exchange for Pro 2 units. However, reading the entries on here, im not sure if i should bother.

ANY opinions would be much appreciated.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

PhilipB8 wrote:

I am awaiting the imminent arrival of 4 Pro cameras which I was going to return unopened to exchange for Pro 2 units. However, reading the entries on here, im not sure if i should bother.

ANY opinions would be much appreciated.

I would say that unless you plan on running the cameras under AC power, the benefits of the Pro 2 aren't significant. The Pro are 95% as good. If you need to see in complete darkness in wide open areas with little to reflect off, the Pro may in fact be the better choice (currently)

bruzr
Guide
Guide

Having had the Arlo Pro 2 for about 6 months or more, I do feel they are the best on the market, for now, for they are. This, in the way of spontaneity of alerts, motion/noise, etc. without Monitoring Fees to muck up the works, etc. As this is a bit overzealous, and can be fine-tuned to a degree, there is a learning curve..lots of fun ahead..ahem. Maybe they will improve that soon. But, That is if you keep it below 5 devices.

BUT, getting to the point of quality between the First Gen to Gen 2,  I must say, although the Arlo Pro alone would get you through the day, with 720p, it still has a great daylight picture quality, the Pro 2 having 1080p really is a modest gain, but this is not Television, just a view to the outside. This is all fine and good, but the clincher is the Night Vision Quality, and that on even my Pro 2 has little to be desired, I think the Pro and Pro2 would have the same, as in poor quality, being from a distance, as yes, they are mounted up that high for field of vision. As you would't see a face, details therof, on either Pro or Pro 2..but reasonable enough to having nothing at all, of any useable quality unless someone buts a bit more technology on improving this. In all these Recent Wireless Security Camera Solutioins, out on the market for the past few years, all of them today, Really Need to Move into a Decent Night-Vision Techonolgy. As this is just for the sake of alerts and seeing what is bumping and creeping around outside in OUR SPACE, day or night, and providing a decent quality of footage, or what is the point of it all anyway...? This is just not Reality yet out there for these start-up devices. (See Attached Footage)

Why are we being so Paranoid with this obsession of safety, surveillance, and instant alerts...Because we Can..! And we want Quality Product to do this job, as we pay out this with major $$$.  So hopefully this will evolve into the area of an Evolution of Everything These Should Be, Yes Facial Recognition...Big Brother, We want all, and Now..!! Instead of Start-up Half-Ass Gimmickery...!! Do I hear a Amen to that brothers and sister...yes..>?? And how about Trade-Ups, as where does all the old crap from last year go, a New Startup, "Recycle Old Tech Crap.Com...?" This is getting scarry, as we will soon be buried in cameras and old cell phones alone...pretty soon. Next Chapter....!!!

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I haven't seen any cameras eg Ring, Nest etc that give good facial details in night vision mode. The IR seems to blow out the face when it's close and it's a just white mass. The brilliant thing for me with Arlo is the integration. When someone comes to my front door, the Pro 2 camera triggers my porch lights (Hue) to come on. Since there are 4 bulbs lighting up a pretty small space in front of the doorway, it's easily enough light to 1. Change the Arlo Pro 2 to color mode and 2. Allow clear facial features to be visible.

The soon to be released Arlo Security Light is probably going to be a great supplement to this kind of scenario and not only light up the area but trigger the camera to record if it detects motion that little bit before the camera would

PhilipB8
Tutor
Tutor
Is the base station with the pro compatible with the pro 2
Steve511
Initiate
Initiate

Yes. You can add a Pro 2 camera to a Pro base station.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

PhilipB8 wrote:
Is the base station with the pro compatible with the pro 2

Yes. Arlo HD, Arlo Pro, Arlo Pro 2 can all work with the base station that comes with any of these cameras

PhilipB8
Tutor
Tutor
As a newbie to this site and cctv I have been very impressed with the prompt and thorough replies I have had to my request for help and advice.. Very many thanks to all.
Mårten
Aspirant
Aspirant

steve_t wrote:

I haven't seen any cameras eg Ring, Nest etc that give good facial details in night vision mode. The IR seems to blow out the face when it's close and it's a just white mass. The brilliant thing for me with Arlo is the integration. When someone comes to my front door, the Pro 2 camera triggers my porch lights (Hue) to come on. Since there are 4 bulbs lighting up a pretty small space in front of the doorway, it's easily enough light to 1. Change the Arlo Pro 2 to color mode and 2. Allow clear facial features to be visible.

The soon to be released Arlo Security Light is probably going to be a great supplement to this kind of scenario and not only light up the area but trigger the camera to record if it detects motion that little bit before the camera would

Hos do you Connect Arlo to Hue? Can you do it with the Arlo SW or the HUE SW? 

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Mårten wrote:

Hos do you Connect Arlo to Hue? Can you do it with the Arlo SW or the HUE SW? 

I use Smartthings. Not sure if there are other ways though. IFTTT or Stringify might work but I can't be sure as I don't use them any more and people have reported the IFTTT control to be broken though that might just be for controlling the cameras as opposed to using the cameras as triggers

bruzr
Guide
Guide

This is regarding the SmartHome Wireless Genre, and in particular the Wink or Wink 2, Home Automation Hub. This which, is a Networked Wired or Wireless WiFi Hub for All Your SmartHome Wireless Needs. That is, Lightbulbs that are Z-Wave Ready. The likes of GE, Phillips, Cree, etc. are all available now at Home Depot, Lowes, Amazon, etc. This Home Automation is the Best Way to Integrate home Smart Home Products with your Arlo Pro, Pro 2, or Inside Arlo Cameras..Security Cameras, and Most Others. This, as it allows Custom Integration with Lights, Cameras, and Whatever Smart Devices you may have to work harmoniosly throughout your Home Automation Dream Home, etc. Motion sensed can be turned into a Command to turn on whatever lights to alert you of motion outside...Small Animals, or Wildlife...? There is a Timeframe of Motion, so as not to have it needlessy activated, so 1 min is default...seems to work..!

Although there is a bit of learning curve, Wink or Wink 2 (Recommended) Hub  is not hard setup or manage. It is fun, actually, step-by-step directions on the Wink Home App for either Android or iOS, and has evolved into a One Stop Control Center for the Majority of SmartHome Products. Arlo is creeping into the realm of allowing Arlo Cameras, upon sensing motion,  to activate Lights, Outside or Wherever, that it Controls. This can help the Poor Night Vision that is the ONLY thing I find that hinders Arlo from being a Perfect Security Camera Solution. 

More fun ahead, as Wink and Arlo can intergrate with Amazon Alexa. This as Alexa, Verbal command lights, yes, by voice. But additonally,  with the Amazon Show, or Spot, with a Viewing screen they provide, yes, Ask Alexa to look at front door, and answer the Front door, converse with the delivery person or just tell then No Thanks...Go Away..without leaving your Binge TV...!? Hear a noise, ask Alexa Show to View Front Yard, etc. But... this even works on a Amazon FireTV, on the Android Alexa App, look by searching with Voice Command on your FireTV Remote...yes..! This, in which is really out there...can give your Alerts,  and do the same Relay Chat through your Arlo Cameras or Ring Doorbell. But getting ahead of my geek self...Anyway you get the picture. This will evolve as things get fine tuned and we are more comfortable with this Sign-of-The-Times technology..Finally something that makes us feel secure and in control of our enviornment, while we get buried in Gadgets....LOL..! Good Luck...!

SherpaDad
Aspirant
Aspirant

Two Questions Re: The Arlo Pro 2

One, can it do Continuous Network Recording if plugged in to a solar panel?

Second, can it record footage from the Continuous Network Recording feature to the base/usb or external hard drive?

Thanks!

steve_t
Master Master
Master

wrote:

Two Questions Re: The Arlo Pro 2

One, can it do Continuous Network Recording if plugged in to a solar panel?

Second, can it record footage from the Continuous Network Recording feature to the base/usb or external hard drive?

Thanks!

1. No. It needs full time AC power
2. No. It will only record motion/audio activated events to the backup drive

Discussion stats
  • 27 Replies
  • 24 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation