Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Davb
Follower
Follower

When motion is detected on one of my 6 cameras the push notification sends me 6 ding sounds vice 1 like it use too. Anyone know why?

146 REPLIES 146
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey everyone,

Have you guys tried to update the Arlo app? What phone device and operating system are you running? And do you have a subscription?

Twoot
Guide
Guide
Updated 3 times . Uninstalled and reinstalled and I have Android s9... haven't had it happen the past few days and no subscription
blaws1
Aspirant
Aspirant

An alternative would be to implement a sort of a debounce timer, either hard coded or user selectable, such that after a motion notification is sent, another would not be sent again for a period of time, even if motion remained during the period.  A constant flood of notifications, one after the other, seconds apart, for the entire duration of motion detection adds nothing for most users in my opinion.  One notification when motion first detected, then no more notifications until 30-60 seconds after motion is no longer detected; reset and and send a notification again if motion detected again after the 30-60 seconds of stillness.  Something like that may not be perfect for everyone, but it would help with most I think.  Maybe a switch to have it work as is now with constant notifications if people prefer, or toggle the switch and work as described to reduce notifications.

Kurmudgeon389
Tutor
Tutor

Need help!!!!  Since the upgrade to arlo smart plan I am overwhelmed by 4 notification evertime one of my cameras has motion.  Cant figure out where the settings are to adjust the notifications to the old way.

Please help,

John

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Try to disable the notification through your phone settings, restart your phone, and try to enable the notification again and see if that works.

jgsouthard
Apprentice
Apprentice

Several months ago there were a couple of detailed threads about getting additional sound notifications every time the Arlo Android app was installed or updated. Both threads were closed as "Solved," but this issue is NOT solved. First, the solutions recommended in those threads are NOT WORKING in my case; and second, they were never more than a TEMPORARY WORKAROUND for what is clearing a bug in the Android app.

I am now getting FOUR sound notifications (only one banner, but four sounds) for EACH alert. I have very carefully followed both of the solutions recommended in those threads multiple times (1: stop backups, uninstall, reboot, reinstall, re-start backups; or 2: clear cache and app data), and neither are working on my Samsung Galaxy S8 running Android 8.0.0 and Arlo app version 2.6.4_23200 (latest, 11/26/18).

This is driving me crazy, especially since I often get alerts from two or three cameras at once. 

Any other ideas on how to fix this?

dhiller0217
Apprentice
Apprentice

Following this because I am experiencing the same exact problem, and the old solution is no longer working. I am actually getting 5 notifications. If all I have is person detection on a camera, i still receive an alert that "motion" has beem detected on that camera, and then i get four back to back alerts that a person has been detected about 5 seconds later. It is indeed annoying as hell.

jgsouthard
Apprentice
Apprentice

Very glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Wozzle69
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I have reinstalled the app and also done the other things suggested but still getting multiple notifications for a single motion event. eg. person walks up the drive and I get 4 chimes even though only people and vehicles are "on" on the options.

I look forward to a fix from Arlo as I love my cameras !

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Kurmudgeon389

Have you tried to reboot your base station & test again?

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Shorter Version Try:

1.Settings>Cloud and Accounts>Backup and Restore>Automatic Restore(turn off)

2.Settings>Apps>Arlo>Storage>Clear Cache and Clear Data

3<Force Stop and Uninstall

4. Play Store and reinstall

Longer Version Try if first is not successful

1.Settings>Cloud and Accounts>Backup and Restore>Automatic Restore(turn off)

2.Settings>Apps>Arlo>Storage>Clear Cache and Clear Data

3<Force Stop and Uninstall

4. Settings>Cloud and Accounts>Samsung Cloud>Backup and Restore (bottom of page)

5. Backup phone (with arlo gone)

6.restore (this only takes a few minutes and you lose nothing)

7. Play Store and reinstall

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

One other thing. If you have success with one of the above, don't forget if you want the Google automatic restore for all your apps (this is different than automatic updates, it keeps app settings you may have in your phone when you update either manually or automatically), go back and turn it on.

pattymelt
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'll did these steps. (And turned on the auto restore.) Very similar to the steps I've found on the forum here. I think there might have been something wrong with my Samsung back up. I couldn't get it to back up the apps. I deleted some old ones and finally got it to back up.

I hope it works! Thanks for the reply. Arlo support elevated suport my ticket. I'm sure it will get sorted out. It's just annoying if someone walks up to my door and I get 3 (times 5) notifications while they are standing there.

pattymelt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well, I tried it. Still getting multiple notifications.

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Sorry @pattymelt. The second routine fixed it for me on my Samsung S8+ each time after 3 previous updates. The problem seems to be that the Google automatic restore uninstall is not complete and you end up with multipe notification commands on updates and reinstalls.

The extreme measure I needed to do once was this:

1. Force Stop Arlo, clear cache and data. Uninstall.
  2. Google will back up your app data periodically. You will need to wait for that to happen with Arlo gone.
  3. You can check on your last Google backups by looking at Settings>Backup and Restore>Google Account. It will be under Active Backups. You can see when the last backup on the app data was. Mark the time and date of the last app back up.
  4. Go ahead with the Samsung Cloud Back up and restore on previous screen (with Arlo gone) just for good measure.
  5. Now you wait. You are waiting for Google to do an automatic app backup. with Arlo gone. This could take hours and you will be left with no Arlo phone app. You still can check on your phone on the website (make sure on Google you chose Desktop Site from the Google menu before going to it or you will just be directed to download the app).
  6. After Google backs up your app data (with Arlo gone), go to Google backup and restore toggle and turn it off.
  7. Install Arlo app from Play Store.

Out of the three times I have needed to get rid of multiple notifications, the waiting for Google auto back uponly was necessary once. Maybe the others were just timing luck. Not sure since the extreme measure was for the first time. Beyond this I do not know. 

jgsouthard
Apprentice
Apprentice

I had a chat session today with Arlo Support, and they said they are aware of the issue but as of yet have not identified a solution. I hope they find one soon, because this is making my Arlo cameras unusable. I walked outside to the mailbox on our street this morning, passing three cameras which should have triggered three alerts, then three more as I came back in. My phone beeped 24 times. Since it keeps happening when I'm in meetings at work, I have no choice but to silence my phone or turn off notifications, which makes security cameras pretty worthless. I'll be looking to move to another camera system if they don't get this fixed. I have 10 cameras in two locations, several of which have been replaced at one time or another, so I've sunk a lot of money into Arlo for something that has become unusable.

dhiller0217
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you for the update.  I hope they resolve this as well, and I have been receiving these multiple notifications during bad times as well such as at work in meetings, etc.  I'm wondering how they can even prioritize which known issues to focus on with all of the things people are experiencing.  I posted a thread yesterday about my custom modes vanishing into thin air, which also removed them from my schedule and disarmed my system.  NOT cool at all.

pattymelt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the info, i'll give it a try tonight when i have time.

pattymelt
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue on a Samsung S8 with android 8. Tried all the solutions that I could find Deleting backups, cache, force stop and uninstalling. Nothing has helped. I have contacted support. They say they are aware. 

jgsouthard
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just realized that I misspelled notifications in the title of the original post, which explains why I never seem to be able to find this thread when I search on "multiple notifications from one alert" (which is the best way to find the other similar threads). If one of the superusers has the ability to edit posts, correcting the title(s) in this thread would be appreciated. Sorry about that.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi everyone,

As some of you may be aware already, our development team is currently investigating the issue where some users are receiving multiple notifications who are using Android devices. We will be sure to update the community when we hear any new information. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

OurHattonHome
Star
Star

Any update to this issue? I reported this problem months ago and nothing has been done. Not only are my DH and I getting 4 beeps we also have 4 messages for each notification that show up in our text messages. Sure am glad that I have unlimited texting otherwise I would have to stop notifications all together. PLEASE GET THIS FIXED ASAP!!!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community. The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

rossi123
Aspirant
Aspirant

@fedork wrote:

I believe a few versions of the app back arlo android app would only show a single notification for any number of events that occured. Now it shows a separate notification for every event (and also there is a bug when it shows *multiple* noptifications for each). Result is that, if there was a period of high activity (someone moving in front of a camera for some period of time) I get DOZENS of notifications that flood notification bar. It is annoying and not useful. Please get this fixed!

yes I agree with you about the 30 to 60 second motion detection and it will help a lot of people

rossi123
Aspirant
Aspirant

One notice when movement previously distinguished, at that point no more warnings until 30-60 seconds after movement is never again identified; reset and send a notice again if movement recognized again after the 30-60 seconds of stillness. Something to that effect may not be ideal for everybody, but rather it would help with most I think. Possibly a change to have it function as is presently with consistent notices if individuals favor, or flip the switch and work as portrayed to diminish warnings.