Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
QHNam
Follower
Follower

I have done all research on earlier discussions, and I have also just confirmed with a support technician from Arlo: after a power outage, though all the LEDs show up as green, Arlo app still shows the base device and all cameras as offline, AND the only reliable solution is to a) remove the base unit (and hence all of the connected cameras), and then b) re-add the base unit, and c) re-sync all the cameras one by one (having to go to each camera and pressing the "sync" button, etc.)

IMO, this is a major defect of this kind of product. I need system like this to work reliably when I'm away from home for a long period of time. If there is a power outage during that time, the system basically will no longer be working.

Because of this major defect, I'm going to return this 5-camera unit and explore other options. I'll check with Nest users to see if their system is having the same problem. If not, I'll go for Nest.

17 REPLIES 17
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Depending on how long you expect your power to regularly go out for, you could choose a UPS for the base station or a wifi enabled power outlet to see if a power cycle of the base brings the cameras back online. Unfortunately, if the power is out on the base for a long time, the cameras will deplete their batteries trying to reconnect to it. I guess that's the biggest issue with wireless cameras. I can't tell you if Nest will seamlessly resume functioning after power loss but since you have to run wiring for them, they're a slightly different kettle of fish. Apples and oranges if you like.

The other bonus for Arlo Pro with the base station on a UPS is that if your internet/power goes down, you'll still get recordings to the attached USB drive. Not sure which other systems have a backup feature like that

DelanoL
Aspirant
Aspirant

The power outage issue is the only thing I do not like about my camera system. I own two homes with two base stations. I dread when the Pro 2 base station goes down because I know I am in for a two hour fight to get everything working correctly again. It appears when it comes back on line by itself after the power has failed that its field of range shrinks to a small circle. My camera in my hallway and front door will work, but anything 25 feet or more away will not. I reset modems and routers, remove the base station, readd then sync the camers. However, this is not a foolproof way to ensure that it works. Sometimes it takes several attempts before it will work properly again.

I have search the internet looking for a way to easily reconnect and have the base station and cameras come back to life without the hair pulling, but have not found one. With more than a thousand dollars invested, you would think this would not be an issue. I'm welcome to any suggestions.

Del

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I would strongly suggest using a UPS for your modem, router and base to keep both your Internet and Arlo working during a power outage. The size of the UPS depends on the length of the outages - I use a 750VA one that has run for a couple of hours with no problem and the math suggests an 18 hour runtime (not sure I believe that). Also, a WiFi power switch (WeMo, etc.) for the base can be useful so you can use it to power cycle the base remotely if needed.

modest
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is really disappointed!!!!! I have that issue today, after a 2nd power outage the base station seemed to be reseted!!!! the led give green, but nothing work.

I really don't understand the other reply asking to add UPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

First reboot your modem, router and base, in that order, letting each finish booting before moving to the next device.

The UPS (uninterruptible power supply) is basically backup battery power for anything plugged into it for when power is lost. The battery is constantly charged when power is available and when power is lost the battery takes over. By plugging your modem, router and base into the UPS, the whole network remains working as long as the battery has any power. This prevent the power outage issues that can occur.  I use a ~$100 750VA UPS which will last for several hours.

modest
Aspirant
Aspirant

I understand very well the purpose of the UPS, I don't need an explaination for that .

Adding the UPS  doesn't fix the root cause of Arlo base station defacted bug, where it may stay offline, after a power outage! UPS does only fix the power outage, it doesn't fix the Arlo. Unless Arlo/netgear give me a UPS for free!!!!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@modest wrote:

I really don't understand the other reply asking to add UPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This sure sounded like you needed an explanation. You didn't provide any clue as to what you were after.

Most times, the base reconnects fine. In certain case, it appears to be a race condition between what comes up first - the base or the router. The UPS helps eliminate the condition. Also, use of a UPS ensures you still have the system working during an outage. If your network is down, there's no recordings or notifications.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

Another issue when there is a power cut is the way in which the whole network, not just the Arlo hubs and base stations, restart.

Power cuts will affect modems and routers in a network, along with everything else. When the power comes back on, things may start up in the wrong order, with the router starting before the modem is ready, for example. That means that the router and modem can get confused about which is in charge, which means the router does not connect to the internet.

It may help to reboot the whole network in the right order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

I haven't done any experiments with Arlo gubbins. But I would certainly investigate that as a possibility, of only to rule it out.

Of course, a UPS would prevent that one too.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
BRONX
Aspirant
Aspirant
You have the pro 2? Weird because the power goes out here all the time and my cameras restart and resync on their own. What’s the rest of your setup like? Wonder if it could be some sort of latency or timing issue in terms of what comes back on-line first?
Brend1
Aspirant
Aspirant
I installed just 1 of my cameras. There is bad time lag and I noticed it will not record if walking up driveway so had to face it across driveway but sometimes will not even record the car driving in, eventhough it is mounted right above garage door on an angle as mentioned. Dont think there is an answer to that one. In the last 2 days we had one very short and one longer power outage. Although I got it going after about a half hour what happens if I am away. It will not start up automatically. Im afraid that was the tipping point, it is going back unfortunately because I quite like it otherways.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Brend1

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

DelanoL
Aspirant
Aspirant

Unfortunately, this seems to be a  problem I have with these cameras and I have them installed at two homes. After a power outage they seems to "lose range". Mine will not pick up from about 20 feet once you experience an outage. The only way that I can get them to all work normally again (and I have two preety far away from the base station) is to go to settings and "forget each device" including the base station. After that, reboot your IPS modem and your router, if it is separate. Once they are working correctly, add the base station back in and resync the cameras.

Mine will work perfectly for months but once they go out, I have spent an hour or two trying to get them back. Every other electronic item in my house works fine, but these cameras refuse to play nice. I have back-up battery pack waiting to be installed the next time we have this problem. Some people say that helps. We will see.

Brend1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for letting me know you have the same problem with restart after a power outage. Unfortunately this can happen while I am away, rendering the camera useless. Just in the last 2 weeks since I purchased this camera we have had 3. Living here on the Mornington Peninsula it can can get very windy, although that may be more than the usual outages. I havent been here that long, however Its like having a lock on your door that sometimes wont lock, ie not fit for purpose as far as I am concerned.

Brend1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply suggesting I contact customer support. I did re the issue of camera not turning on if I walk straight towards it. The reply was to put the camera on an angle so that you cross it. I did move it but it is not easy in my drieway to do that successfully due to a concrete pillar, however I could live with that. Re the outage problem I have read that others are having the same problem and the point is it will not come back to life without human intervention, unlike my Fetch TV or Google Assistant, internet radio, Solar Inverter etc. etc etc. Also it gets stuck in "Getting Status"mode.

It is  a shame as otherwise I like it. 

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Brend1 wrote:

Thanks for letting me know you have the same problem with restart after a power outage. Unfortunately this can happen while I am away, rendering the camera useless.

Is it just the Arlo stuff that stays off line? Or is it the whole network that dies?

I ask because I once had an arrangement whereby the modem took so long to connect that the router behind it timed out before it could make a connection. The result was a failure of anything to establish an Internet link.

In may case, the culprit was a modem/router in modem only mode. I replaced it with a modem only device that connects much more quickly. Then the rest of the network has plenty of time to connect.

My Arlo system happily comes back to life after power cuts.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Brend1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi and thanks for your response. Firstly my model is the Arlo Pro, not Pro2 so maybe they might have inproved the connection issue. My router is fairly new and after the outage everything else comes back itself except for the Arlo. The main issue here is if it happens while I am away.

Cheers

Brendan

Dannybear
Master
Master
I do also find it annoying that arlo will not recover to a working condition after a power outage, where as other smart devices will.

The only explanation I can give is that the base station is not smart enough to keep retrying so just gives up.

I wonder if giving the base station a fixed IP address via the modem settings help it along.

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation