Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
majordad
Follower
Follower

I have a question about the wifi signal, I live in a block home with metal studs in the walls and concerned I will not have signal out to the cameras, as the crow flys the distance between the cameras and router will be approx.40 ft. But I do have to go through block walls with the signal. I am wanting to get the Arlo Pro 2 but this does concern me, thanks for any help.

1 REPLY 1
brh
Master
Master

@majordad

You can try it to see if you have enough range. The problem is not the strength of the wifi signal, but the strength of the radio frequency from the base station to the cameras. You can try to put your base station in the center of your home and see if there is enough signal strength on the cameras to work properly. 

If there is not enough signal strength to run all the cameras properly, there are several options available depending on how serious you are about your security and how much you are willing to spend.

The best solution would be purchase a mesh router system with one or two satellites can have ethernet ports on them and purchase one or two extra base stations as needed to plug the base stations into. That is the route I eventually took and although a bit on the expensive side the signals to each of my outside cameras in all 4 corners of my house are rock solid.

A less expensive route by far, but more of a hassle is to purchase wifi extenders or inline wifi plugs and extra base stations that can plug into them.

Brian

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation