Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 32 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
ZosoPage1963
Apprentice
Apprentice

I purchased the 5 camera set from Costco for $850 and I thought I had researched enough since there are so many options in the camera area right now.  The issue I am having is that the push to talk feature is not able to be utilized, it is slow, quiet and sometimes can not even connect.  I have 3 phones.  2 are on Android , one is on IOS.  The IOS is a work phone so I don't use it very much.  My connection to my home is 1 gig down, 40 meg up, Comcast.  My ping times are usually under 10ms.  I also purchased the doorbell to go with the system.  All in with Arlo.  The android phones in the home are both Samsung S9+ running the new version of Android (pie or 9, whatever you want to call it). The IOS is the latest, I think 12.0.3.  On IOS, push to talk works great on the cameras.  I have not tried the doorbell yet.  

Has anyone in the community been able to get the Push to talk function to work on the cameras?  Are  you on Pie?  Just wondering if there is a setting that I am missing on my phone that will allow me to utilize this feature on the cameras and doorbell.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ZosoPage1963
Apprentice
Apprentice

factory reset has been done once before.  I have opened a case with Arlo support and they have the link to this thread.

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32
ZosoPage1963
Apprentice
Apprentice

Adding, we are connecting the wifi cameras via Orbi, which shows on the wifi bandwidth test 493 by 43 Mbps.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @ZosoPage1963

Are you experiencing this issue with all 5 cameras? Also, is this occurring on all the phones you utilize the Push To Talk Feature with?

ZosoPage1963
Apprentice
Apprentice

yep, tried 2 phones running the same android OS on multiple cameras.  Same issue.  On the iphone, not having this issue.  In order to use the PTT function on the android phones, I have to get my mouth almost swallowing the mic on the bottom of the phone.  Dont have to do that with the iphone.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

What firmware version is the cameras & base station currently running?

I have added the Firmware Notes here for you - Firmware Release Notes

ZosoPage1963
Apprentice
Apprentice

camera firmware 1.125.11.3_26229

hub firmware 1.11.9.0_26520

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

It looks like your base station is a few firmware versions behind & the Camera is one behind. Can you update to the latest versions &  test the Push To Talk Feature again. I have added the links to the Firmware versions and their notes below.

To update the firmware manually, you will need to perform the following steps:

Go to Settings > My Devices > Select the Desired device > Device Info > Firmware

-Arlo Pro 2: Arlo Pro 2 Firmware

-Arlo Base Station Arlo Base Station VMB3000/4000 Firmware

ZosoPage1963
Apprentice
Apprentice
No updates available is what I see
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Reboot the base and reinsert camera batteries. ANy updates noted?

ZosoPage1963
Apprentice
Apprentice

I charged the batteries last night, and restarted the base station just now. No updates available.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@ZosoPage1963

Updates are automatically pushed between 3-5AM PT.

ZosoPage1963
Apprentice
Apprentice

Understood about when updates are pushed out.  It was stated yesterday that, based on the firmware I was seeing, I was a couple behind.  It was suggested to update my firmware, which I am not seeing any updates available, and the versions are the same as they were yesterday, so it appears, if I am indeed behind, that for some reason, I am not able to receive the updates that are stated to may fix my issue.

Would be interesting to hear from other Arlo users that have a Samsung S9 or S9+ running on Android Pie, if they are having the same issue with PTT.  

Bduncan
Guide
Guide

My internet is 120 down and 5 upload speed, I have the Note 8 on Pie and Arlo PTT  is beyond useless, it is super quiet, you cannot hear a reply, my base station is on firmware 1.12.0.1_27940.
Sometimes when someone is at the door and I go to check the camera the stream will just load and load but I can view my other two Arlo cameras.
I feel embarrassed as my friend advised to get the Ring doorbell and cameras but I thought I had done my research and thought Arlo was better at the time with Netgear having many more years in the tech industry, but he has the same internet speed and has no issues talking to people at his front door while at work and all I get is a one way conversation or a buffering screen..... 

svarlo99
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi-

I bought the VCS4500C from costco at $850 and have the same problem, my 2-way audio does not work at all. All the firmware are upto date in cameras and base station. I tried all the possible ways to see if there is any fix, but in vain. I have an iPhone that I tested to see the 2-way talk but didn't work.

-S

ZosoPage1963
Apprentice
Apprentice

Very interesting conversation going on here. I am starting to think that the PTT is a feature that I won't use, which makes the doorbell absolutely useless.  

Funny that the the conversation of updating my firmware never continued.  How can I update the firmware when the app says "no updates available"?  I have rebooted the base, turned off cameras and turned them back on, I have removed the batteries, etc and still have the same results.  850 is a lot to spend on a product that isn't working as advertised.  Sad that netgear doesn't really care at all.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

This is a conversation about cameras, not doorbells. Keep doorbell discussion there.

For the OP, make sure all permissions are granted in the phone settings for the app. Also, try using a computer web browser to ensure the hardware is working.

ZosoPage1963
Apprentice
Apprentice

I don't believe you read the inital problem.  This is NOT happening on Iphone, or Computer, this is ONLY happening on Android on two different phones.  I only mentioned the doorbell as it is experiencing the EXACT same issue.  

Sorry if my tone is abrupt, but I don't feel you actually read what the trouble shooting steps that have been taken.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I seem to have to keep repeating myself lately. I read typically hundreds of posts a day and can't possibly re-read threads in their entirety, especially ones that have gone on for days/weeks/months. In addition, while not explicitly spelled out, I was replying to svarlo99's post above yours. FWIW, he says he's having problems on iOS, in contradiction to what you're experiencing.

ZosoPage1963
Apprentice
Apprentice

Got it, thanks.  I get how busy you all are in this forum.  

Thanks for your time.

ZosoPage1963
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ZosoPage1963 wrote:

camera firmware 1.125.11.3_26229

hub firmware 1.11.9.0_26520

this is the same firmware that I show today, with no updates available.   Was there a mistake when someone told me that my firmware was a couple behind?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can always use the Release Notes area here to check your firmware versions. Your base is on old firmware - here's the latest:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/Arlo-Base-Station-VMB3000-VMB4000-1-12-0-1-2794...

Same for the camera:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/Arlo-Pro-2-1-125-11-4-29092-4th-January-2019/m-...

If rebooting the base doesn' offer you updates, you may need to reset and start fresh to clear out weirdnesses.

ZosoPage1963
Apprentice
Apprentice

After resetting the base station, the cameras and the doorbell, I am currently on firmware 1.12.0.1_27940 (base station)

Cameras are on 1.125.11.4_29092

Doorbell is on 1.2.0.0_297_268

After doing this, there is NO sound when I use the PTT on the android phone.

The Iphone works as it did prior.  

In the android phones, I have all permissions turned on.  I have uninstalled the app and reinstalled (and it asked for permissions to record audio).

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Out of ideas. @JamesC ?

Bduncan
Guide
Guide
I'd try another android device. Or try reinstalling the application.
ZosoPage1963
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wife got home and had her try her phone.  While extremely quiet, it did work.  All settings on my phone matched hers (or I could not see any obvious difference).  I did a factory reset on the phone and now the PTT works, but, once again,  the original problem of it being much more quiet than the iphone is back.  I really feel this is something to do with the s9+ microphone.  It seems the iphone is using the 'speakerphone' version of the microphone, while the s9+ is using the "normal" microphone, the one you use on phone calls.  If I put my mouth right over the mic, we can hear through the speakers on the cameras.  If we hold the phone, looking at the screen, at normal screen distance, the voice out of the camera speaker is barely audible.  This is the reason I asked in the beginning if anyone with an S9 or S9+ running Android 9 was having the same issue.  If it is just a phone issue, then we will have to live with it unless Netgear gets with Samsung to discover the issue... 

Discussion stats
  • 32 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation