Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 power cables

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
strider212
Aspirant
Aspirant

HI All

Is it possible to wire the power cable for the pro 2 to a house lighting ring main, i cannot see a real reason why not as it is only a usb cable and does not use to much power. ?

Many thanks 

6 REPLIES 6
slompochomp
Luminary
Luminary

You mean for a light socket? If so maybe something like these will help. Keep in mind you will still need to use the USB power adapter.
lamp-accessories.jpg

lamp-accessories2.jpg

If You Got Em....I'll Chew Em!

Netgear & Arlo Beta Tester
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not sure what you're talking about with a "house lightin ring main" but I assume you mean AC power like for lights. The cameras work of 5 volts DC which the house works off 120 voltas AC. Connectin the camera directly to the house power would be... interesting (think melting ,fireworks, maybe fire).

Cbennettus
Aspirant
Aspirant
Keep in mind it takes a special usb charger to power or charge an arlo pro 2. The charger must support quick charge 3.0. A standard usb charger will not power the camera or charge the battery.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A 5v-only adapter should run the camera as liong as it can supply at least 1.5A. That won't charge the battery, though, which requires 9v.

strider212
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat wrote:

Not sure what you're talking about with a "house lightin ring main" but I assume you mean AC power like for lights. The cameras work of 5 volts DC which the house works off 120 voltas AC. Connectin the camera directly to the house power would be... interesting (think melting ,fireworks, maybe fire).

Im in the UK, We have a power circuit and usualy 2 seperate light circuits, all of which run on 240v but the lights are fused with a 5 amp fuse and usualy a 6 amp trip in the consumer unit.  So i am thinking can i wire in one of those plug sockets with a USB plug on it (Feels safer than an adapter plug, also Arlo had recalled the adapters in the UK, not sure if that is sorted now or not) and just then plug in a USB cable to charge the camera? Not sure what voltage that would produce, but a couple of guys on here have quoted that the camera needs 5 - 9 volts?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Use of any adapter that supplies 5v at 1.5-2 amps should be fine. Check the device you're thinking of using for specs. The 9v part is needed to charge the battery but not to run the camera.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation