Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
MichaelRo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Has anyone gotten meaningful information regarding the terrible night vision on the Alro Pro 2?  Just chatted with customer service and their answer was "we don't know when it will be fixed or what the issue is".  That's obsurd given its been a known widespread problem for a few months now (those who aren't complaining probably don't realize how much better the Pro 1 is)

Are folks returning their Pro 2s?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo Pro 2 ups the game by introducing 1080p resolution, a wider field of view compared to previous generation cameras, along with a host of new features that include versatile power options, 2-way audio, and advanced motion detection with activity zones.  All of the above is done while maintaining the things our users love and have become synonymous with Arlo:  Simple wire-free setup, Weather-resistant ruggedness, Optional 24/7 continuous video monitoring, local backup storage, and up to 7 days of free cloud storage.  Not to mention, Pro2 is backwards compatible with all previous generation accessories and base stations. 

The same applies at night time, where in each frame, a user can literally see more in every shot.  By upgrading our image technology, we also upgraded our motion and night vision capabilities.

Some users have requested that we increase the overall “brightness” of our cameras.  While seeing brighter, albeit subjective, is a valid request - simply making images brighter may not always apply to the scene that is being recorded.  Every user’s setup is different, as well as the type of scene and image being captured.  One fix for all situations can often result in tradeoffs in other aspects of the image quality.  As an example, simply going brighter can result in oversaturated images dependent on the user’s scene.

What we did focus on addressing however, was overall image quality during high motion.  Especially in security driven use cases where the action being captured could be a vandal at your front door trying to run away, we wanted to enhance the overall quality in those situations.  Over the weekend, we released a FW update that reduces the amount of compression when fast motion is detected.  This results in better quality videos, with minimal change in overall file size being allocated to capture that motion event. 

Arlo aims to up the game in image quality with each new generation of product, and we know our users will enjoy literally seeing more in every shot, seeing more details, as well as crisper video even in fast motion scenes. 

-Arlo Development Team

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Scott2ya
Luminary
Luminary

Interesting... I don't have any Pro 2's. Can you post a sample?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

read this thread;

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-2/Is-the-arlo-pro-2-night-vision-really-bad/m-p/1480874/hi...

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
paulmathijs
Initiate
Initiate

I just returned the arlo pro 1 to get two arlo pro 2's, because I understood they perform better than the pro 1's, but I am disappointed. I would really get an answer to the following question: is Netgear going to fix the night vision issue of the arlo pro 2 or should I return the two units I just purchased and get two arlo pro 1's instead (in Europe that would save me 2x € 50 = 120 US dollars).

So Netgear support, what is going to happen?

MichaelRo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Netgear???  Anyone getting a response from them regarding this issue?  I've spoken to customer support twice now and both times was just told that "its a problem they're aware of" but there was "no information" about a potential solution.  this is crazy.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo Pro 2 ups the game by introducing 1080p resolution, a wider field of view compared to previous generation cameras, along with a host of new features that include versatile power options, 2-way audio, and advanced motion detection with activity zones.  All of the above is done while maintaining the things our users love and have become synonymous with Arlo:  Simple wire-free setup, Weather-resistant ruggedness, Optional 24/7 continuous video monitoring, local backup storage, and up to 7 days of free cloud storage.  Not to mention, Pro2 is backwards compatible with all previous generation accessories and base stations. 

The same applies at night time, where in each frame, a user can literally see more in every shot.  By upgrading our image technology, we also upgraded our motion and night vision capabilities.

Some users have requested that we increase the overall “brightness” of our cameras.  While seeing brighter, albeit subjective, is a valid request - simply making images brighter may not always apply to the scene that is being recorded.  Every user’s setup is different, as well as the type of scene and image being captured.  One fix for all situations can often result in tradeoffs in other aspects of the image quality.  As an example, simply going brighter can result in oversaturated images dependent on the user’s scene.

What we did focus on addressing however, was overall image quality during high motion.  Especially in security driven use cases where the action being captured could be a vandal at your front door trying to run away, we wanted to enhance the overall quality in those situations.  Over the weekend, we released a FW update that reduces the amount of compression when fast motion is detected.  This results in better quality videos, with minimal change in overall file size being allocated to capture that motion event. 

Arlo aims to up the game in image quality with each new generation of product, and we know our users will enjoy literally seeing more in every shot, seeing more details, as well as crisper video even in fast motion scenes. 

-Arlo Development Team

denbarg
Initiate
Initiate

So that's it?.......that is your "solution" for the dismal night vision?  You should be ashamed of yourselves for even putting that LAME response out to your loyal customer base!

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation