Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

sun/shade combo causing false trigger?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
jjkrueg1
Tutor
Tutor

IMG_1483.jpgIMG_1483.jpgVery frustrated right now.  Have had this system for about 2 weeks but am getting constant false triggers from what I believe must be sun/shade combo on my deck.  See screen capture.  The camera is under my eave.  I get constant false motion detection only when the sun is out and it starts when the sun's rays move across my partially covered deck.  Is it the heating up of the deck doing this?  It starts happening around noon each day and will continue until around 3:30 each day, only in full sun days.  I'm in upper midwest so air temps are in the 40's.  I've turned the sensitivity down to 5% and it still triggers.  If I have to shut the deck camera off each afternoon I might as well just return this entire set up and it pretty much defeats the purpose.  Arlo Pro 2 system.  Any insight would be appreciated.

IMG_1483.jpg
5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The sun's IR is a huge source. Reflections cause false detections if you don't reduce sensitivity and/or reposition the camera to minimize them entering the view. Many of us use different modes for day vs. night with just a sensitivity change. Seasons make a difference, too since the reflections change angles over time.

jjkrueg1
Tutor
Tutor

I assumed as much but in this instance I've turned the sensitivity down to 5% and it still just triggers more or less non stop for about 3 hours while the sun's rays move accross my deck.  I think I'll try moving the camera but I'd like to keep my sliding door in view.  Now that I think about it, you suppose reflection off the sliding glass door could be causing the issue?  I wonder if I take the sliding door just out of frame that it might help? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Minor repositioning may be all that's needed but also consider creative locations that would accomplish the same thing but with a different view (tree, fence, railing, etc. mount).

VancouverBC
Luminary
Luminary

I'm finding the Arlo 2 to be pretty resistant to triggering by changes in shade/sun. Looks like you are on a porch situation and maybe there is AC power nearby. If you are just running on batteries, for a test for a few days can you run the camera on AC power plugged in? That will give you 3 seconds pre-recording before the triggering event. It may be a clue to what's triggering the camera. Sometimes I get a false recording from a bird flying by, but too fast to be recorded. The timing from noon to 3:30PM on sunny days might be a coincidence but not causual. 

Another test is if you have audio on, turn it off as a test. 

Do the tests separately.

jjkrueg1
Tutor
Tutor

Audio is off.  Yes, I do have access to power so I'll give that a try. Today we had cloudy skies all day and I have not had one false alert though.  Thanks for the ideas so far.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation