Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 network change possible?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Mistalyle
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just set up a Google Wi-Fi mesh network in my home and would like to connect my base station and camera to that network but it's still connected to the network of the modem. I plugged the Ethernet cord into the main node of the mesh system and reset the base station. The system is working as it should, but doesn't have as strong of a Wi-Fi signal as the mesh network offers. How can I get my Arlo Pro 2 system to connect to the mesh network?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You can not link the cameras to the mesh network...they link into the base only.

But, what you can do ( if the mesh setup has etherent ports ) is run mutli bases... this wouls allow the cameras to have max signal as the base is not just in a central location

( there is no limit to the number of bases on any service level )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You can not link the cameras to the mesh network...they link into the base only.

But, what you can do ( if the mesh setup has etherent ports ) is run mutli bases... this wouls allow the cameras to have max signal as the base is not just in a central location

( there is no limit to the number of bases on any service level )

Morse is faster than texting!
Mistalyle
Aspirant
Aspirant
I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.. After I created the mesh network, I went to network settings on all my other devices (TV'S, tablets, phones, etc) and just connected to the network I had created. That's basically what I'd like to do with Arlo.

Perhaps if I reset and start from scratch somehow? And when setting up, choose the mesh network instead of the one it's on now? I suppose I'm basically asking how do I connect my base station to the mesh network.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Again, it's not possible. The Arlo wireless cameras REQUIRE the use of a base to connect. They're not IP cameras. If you need a stronger signal, reposition the base to a better location and/or use a second base so the cameras are distributed to the base closest to them.

NicheFarmer
Star
Star

To put it another way, Arlo actually creates it's own private network for the cameras that is separate from your home network. The Arlo network is between the base station and the cameras, has a different network name (SSID:NETGEARxx) and a secret password known only to the cameras and base station. The base station communicates with your home network through the wired connection between the base station and router.

I actually have a setup similar to yours with my Arlo base station connected to a Google Wifi Mesh Wifi Point (so I can put the Base Station at a different location from the Primary Wifi Point). If you have the right tools (e.g., WifiAnalyzer on your Android Phone) you can see that there are multiple networks (i.e., you home network and Alro's NETGEARxx network) but you can't sign into the Arlo network. 

Mistalyle
Aspirant
Aspirant
I now understand what both of you are talking about! Sorry for my not understanding initially.

Based on this reply, I also understand that I can move my base station to a more centrally located node and connect it to that mesh point with the Ethernet cord and I should get a better signal to all the cameras.

What I was failing to realize is that the base station is the only source of signal to the cameras, no matter how strong my network signal is from my router.. I think this should resolve the weaker signal to one or two of my cameras. I will move the base station when I get home and see how that works. Without the mesh network, this wouldn't have been possible since my modem/router is unfortunately not centrally located.

Thank you both for the replies. You have definitely helped!
Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation