Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
netcamera
Guide
Guide

Trying to decide how many Arlo Pro 2 cameras to get. I can set one up to have a view of my deck door area and my front door area. The former would occupy about the left 1/5 th of the image and the latter about the right 1/4 th. Would this work, that is, is the motion detection equally sensitive throughout the image or is it more so in the central portion of the image?

Some unrelated questions:

1) I would be using a smartphone whose screen resolution approximately corresponds to 720p. If the Arlo Pro 2 has 1080p, would zooming in actually result in more information or does it just replicate pixels.

2) The video clips that I've seen of the Arlo Pro 2 are not very impressive. It may technically be 1080p as far as pixel count, but given the less than stellar lens used (as evidenced by the distortion) and the video compression, does one really get the detail one would expect from 1080p?

4 REPLIES 4
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

netcamera,

Motion detection works best when moving left to right across the cameras field of view. For a better understanding of how this works and tips on positioning, take a look here: How do I position my Arlo Wire-Free or Arlo Pro Wire-Free camera? After reviewing the best positioning tips, apply those rules to your environment and this will help determine the number of cameras you will need and where they should be located.

While the resolution is 1080p (can be adjusted for battery performance), some environmental conditions, as well as ISP speeds, can impact image quality. Eliminating sources of WiFi interference and maintaining the best signal strength between the base and camera will produce the best results.

JamesC

netcamera
Guide
Guide

Thanks. The video in the link says the motion sensor field of view is 80 degrees but it must be talking about the Arlo Pro, not Arlo Pro 2, as they also say the camera field of view is 110 degrees. But unless things changed alot in the Arlo Pro 2, giving a wider field of view for the motion detection, then my original idea to use one camera for both doors will not work.

Related to this I assume the sound detection does not have a restricted field of view. If in the scenario I was considering someone were to bust down a door, i.e. one quick loud sound, would that trigger the camera or does the sound have to be more sustained?

DvxAznxvb
Aspirant
Aspirant
You aren't ever going to get 1080p due to battery optimization, most likely even on best video quality setting it seems like 900p and they just round up to 1080p since depending on FOV it would be considered 1080 but it is cropped. And note that there is unfortunately no video quality difference or improvement vs wired and wireless options
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

netcamera wrote:

Thanks. The video in the link says the motion sensor field of view is 80 degrees but it must be talking about the Arlo Pro, not Arlo Pro 2, as they also say the camera field of view is 110 degrees. But unless things changed alot in the Arlo Pro 2, giving a wider field of view for the motion detection, then my original idea to use one camera for both doors will not work.

Related to this I assume the sound detection does not have a restricted field of view. If in the scenario I was considering someone were to bust down a door, i.e. one quick loud sound, would that trigger the camera or does the sound have to be more sustained?

The original wireless camera has a 110 degree angle of view but the Pro cameras have 130 degrees.   You can zoom with these but it's a digital zoom, not optical, so you crop out part but you lose resolution.

A quick sound is all that's needed to trigger a recording, depending on the sound sensitivity setting.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation