Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
PS0752
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was having hazy night vision on one of two cameras.  They both have Wasserstein skins on them.  After thinking about it, this issue starting showing up after placing skins on them both. I removed the skin and the camera returned to normal!  I then placed the offending camera in my hand and gently sqeezed all around, mimicking the skin while in live mode and the hazy night vision reappeared!  Releasing the camera, the clear night vision returned!  The other camera is fine with the skin on it.  I was wondering if others have encountered this or if the Netgear brand skins are different.  These cameras are outside and need protection. Firmware: 1.125.13.0_31717

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

many times it is just the IR reflecting off the close surfaces ( of skin or walls ) which washes out the picture.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
PS0752
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the post.  I will be doing some more experimenting with variables to see why one camera with a skin is clear in night vision while the other is hazy blurry with a skin in night vision, when time allows.  I will post the results then.

Jambotatu
Guide
Guide

I had this problem with WHITE skins with hoods on Arlo ultras. They completely killed the night vision. I have not had any problems with BLACK skins with hoods on an Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro2

PS0752
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same here.  The camera that is fine has a black skin. The camera that is hazy has had both white and gray skins that were both hazy.  I will try the black skin on the problem child and "see" what happens!

Jambotatu
Guide
Guide
Trying this as a solution. Blacked the inside of the hood with permanent ink
PS0752
Aspirant
Aspirant

I will definitely give that a try.  I changed skins, and it is the lighter skin on either camera that does this, while the black skin on either camera is fine in night vision. Time for more experimentation!

reynunez
Guide
Guide

I installed the Arlo Pro 2 Camera outside, and added a skin I purchased from Amazon.  When it was time to charge it I moved the camera to charge it and after I added back, the image became hazy and foggy.  Considering what it was stated here about the skin, I took it off and the night video became HD and clear again.   I don't know how that impact it the camera functioning properly, but taking the skin off works!.   Put it in the garbage

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@reynunez wrote:

I don't know how that impact it the camera functioning properly, but taking the skin off works!.  

Your skin had edges that extend beyond the face of the camera.

The camera uses IR LEDs to illuminate the scene for Nightvision, and your skin was reflecting some of that IR light back to the camera lens.  That creates glare that results in a hazy picture.

The Arlo VMA4200B skin has this issue, as well as older Wasserstein skins.  Per the Wasserstein website, they updated the skins to use shorter edges to eliminate this problem.  I don't use skins, so I don't know if that fully solves the problem or not.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation