Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Finodriscoll
Aspirant
Aspirant
Motion zones and continuous recording are only available when the camera is powered to the mains. However, the external power cable for the arlo pro has been recalled. The solar pannel has not been recalled but uses the same connector.

What are the options for powering a camera which is placed outside?

Is there a date for a new external cable to be released?

Do the Motion Zones work with the solar panel?
32 REPLIES 32
Electric_8453
Initiate
Initiate

Apologies - My previous post should have read -20.  Autocorrect took the Minus sign (-20) out of my previous message.  To give an idea of how half-assed Netgear can be...it wouldn't let me log in to reply to this thread - forced me to change my password, and then wouldn't recognize the new one either.  I had a similar experience with my Nighthawk R8000 Router, they pushed out a firmware update and crashed it.

It's not like I haven't given these guys a chance. I've owned Netgear stuff for over 10 years.  They've always had weak support / communication.

T2342344
Star
Star

Electric_8453,

For Arlo Pro 2 it is stated operating temp as -4° to 113° F (-20° C to 45° C). Is it really so camera is hard coded to power off at -20C? Or could that be solved by buying batteries that are more cold resistant?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

All of the Pro series have a cut-off of -4F. You can't buy different batteries so if power doesn't make a difference, that's where it will automatically turn off.

A possible solution would be the Q camera looking through a window. Since it uses pixel-based detection, it will work fine. Just remember to turn off Night Vision so the IR LEDs don't blind the camera from the reflection in the glass.

T2342344
Star
Star

So if you need to pass the cameras unnoticed, check the weather forecast.

Once temp goes up again will the cameras turn automatically on again? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes.

auburndmbfan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, fast foward 6 months and there's still no outdoor power solution from Arlo?  Are you kidding me?  I'm a new Arlo Pro 2 owner, and don't necessarily need CVR or 3-second lookback right now, but eventually perhaps.  Regardless, I just looked at the product accessory page and i don't see anything.  Am I missing it?  

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@auburndmbfan wrote:

Ok, fast foward 6 months and there's still no outdoor power solution from Arlo? 

Where are you?

I bought a VMA4900 power supply last month in the UK.

Arlo Smart Home Outdoor Power Adapter (Official), Black - VMA4900: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accesso...

Plenty on offer in the USA. 

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Larlo77
Aspirant
Aspirant

the Wasserstein solar panel is total junk.  do not buy. I waited a month to install on my outdoor camera because of snow and it was not returnable on amazon.  Caused damage to my battery.  Terrible product.

Discussion stats