Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 backup HD brand recommendation

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
ckm705
Aspirant
Aspirant

Looking to purchase a 2tb backup hd from Amazon.  I understand 2tb is max size and the need to format fat32.  However, during a chat with tech support, it was mentioned to me that other customers were having issue with WD branded units but rep couldn't endorse a particular brand.  Can anyone give a recommendation?  Seagate?  I searched but didn't really see any brand names mentioned nor did I see any complaints regarding a brand.  Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

@ckm705 wrote:
Thank you for the response. Yes I am aware of the need to download the videos. I am just asking for brand recommendations.

Just wanted to make sure you wouldn’t go for a large capacity hard drive for the wrong reason. I’m using a 32GB usb stick and it’s now storing over a year’s worth of 5 cameras videos.

Previously I had tried a seagate 1TB portable hd, worked fine too, but I thought it was an overkill and much wasted space.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

2TB is generally gross overkill. Also, a hard drive is harder to remove and replace than a thumb drive. I have tried both and much prefer using a thumb drive. Choose the capacity for what you need - I use a 16GB one and it will typically not fill for 2-3 months with many recordings a day. 64-128GB would last a long time. If you really want to preserve all those videeos, pull it out on a schedule and copy them to a hard drive for permanent storage.

ckm705
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the recommendation.  I appreciate the quick respnose.  I have to be honest with myself knowing I won't want to remove and download that often, regardless of how minute a task it may be.  I kinda want to be able to forget about it.  With that much storage, I'm hoping it'll have a long enough history for almost any situation I'd need to look back on.  Also, at approximatley half the cost, a 128GB stick will not hold half the recordings that a 2TB drive will.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Please note......you still need to “download” videos from any type of usb device you end up using. You will have to move it (hd or memory stick) to a pc in order to view video clips. You cannot access them directly from base station.

ckm705
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you for the response. Yes I am aware of the need to download the videos. I am just asking for brand recommendations.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I would expect any name brand hard drive that's externally powered would work fine.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

@ckm705 wrote:

Just wanted to make sure you wouldn’t go for a large capacity hard drive for the wrong reason. I’m using a 32GB usb stick and it’s now storing over a year’s worth of 5 cameras videos.

Previously I had tried a seagate 1TB portable hd, worked fine too, but I thought it was an overkill and much wasted space.

ckm705
Aspirant
Aspirant

That's what I originally thought but as I stated in the OP, rep mentioned reported issues with WD.  Thanks for the reply.

ckm705
Aspirant
Aspirant

Got it, thanks.  Wow, you're getting a years worth with 5 cameras on 32GB?  With the amount of activity I have, I'm calculating approximately 300 days with 5 cameras on a 2TB drive.  I kinda just want to forget about it but be able to access them if the need were to ever arise.  Since there were no suggestions I ordered a Seagate so we'll see what happens.  Mahalo.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Yeah......only two of the five cameras are somewhat busy, other three very low volume.😊

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation