Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Hard drive + Alexa show

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Moominter
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’m thinking of upgrading from the arlo to the pro 2 system , when using the camera mains adapter can you record 24/7 to a USB hardrive that plugs into the base unit without sending all the footage to the arlo cloud ?
Also if you want to view a camera on a Alexa show unit , how long will the live stream stay on the screen for if the cameras mains powered , can it be viewed as long as you want or will Alexa time out ?

Thanks .
4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The cloud is required. You could set the system up including the USB drive and then disconnect it from the Internet but you would have no control or notifications.

Can't answernthe Alexa question.

Ysabel
Luminary
Luminary

Regarding viewing the camera on Alexa, it will show you the same viewing time on the Arlo app which is 30 minutes. After 30 minutes the viewing will be timed out and then you need to command alexa again to view the streaming.

🙂

Moominter
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you for the replies, I have 4 cameras at the moment but the main reason I’m thinking of upgrading to the pro 2 is for the mains power option and would like 1 of the 4 cameras to record 24/7 and the other 3 cameras battery powered with motion detection recordings , I notice arlo offer a CVR 24/7 subscription, can I subscribe to this for one camera and use the basic subscription for the other 3 cameras?
Also if using a hard drive will it store 24/7 footage to the hard drive or just the motion detected video ?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No Arlo camera will record 24/7 - they're all motion-based. These would be stored locally. However, you can subscribe to the  CVR option per camera which accomplishes the same thing but it will not be recorded locally - only in the cloud. You could record it locally after the fact by starting the replay and use screen capture software to record the important parts. 

Again, the whole system is based on cloud services.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation