Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
arlosp
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have just bought a 3-camera Arlo Pro 2 system (VMC 4030P and VMB4000 b/station), unfortunately before I'd heard about the Arlo EOL policy.  I'm still struggling to understand their emails and Policy as it relates to the Arlo Pro 2 cameras.

The EOL Policy says the Pro 2 is not EOL until 1 January 2024, so does that mean that the current 'free' 7-day cloud storage and access via phone app also continues until next January?

Or does it imply that the cloud storage, etc will only be available if the owner starts a subscription service from           1st April 2023?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo Pro 2 cameras will continue to work as they do today until they are moved to their EOL date.

You can read more about the end of life policy here: https://kb.arlo.com/000063018/Arlo-Legacy-Cameras-End-of-Life

JamesC

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@arlosp wrote:

The EOL Policy says the Pro 2 is not EOL until 1 January 2024, so does that mean that the current 'free' 7-day cloud storage and access via phone app also continues until next January?

That is my understanding - though it would be good to get confirmation from Arlo.  @JamesC ?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo Pro 2 cameras will continue to work as they do today until they are moved to their EOL date.

You can read more about the end of life policy here: https://kb.arlo.com/000063018/Arlo-Legacy-Cameras-End-of-Life

JamesC

arlosp
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you both.

tommy777
Initiate
Initiate

Not sure what you mean about the "end of life policy". Unfortunately for you, that policy was not in place when the company sold these $1K++ camera system where 7 days complimentary cloud storage was included. 

You're going to have a hard time to persuade a judge in California where you're based that a 4-7 year old fully functional camera system is at the end of life - but not if you want to pay a monthly fee. 

The arrogance is even more baffling that when customers with fully functional systems get the notice and have no way to get in touch with arlo. Your phone and chat is only for people who have subscriptions.

I get it, you regret selling this system and the subscription was an afterthought, but back when it first came out and for 3 generations, your marketing was "we're different, we don't charge a monthly fee.

Instead of being cheapskates and end up with horrible reviews, thousands of pissed off customers and an F rating at the BBB, you should have just grandfathered in these customers and you would have won them when the systems finally is ready for replacement.

But hey, I see there's a class action on the way, I wonder how much a multi million dollar legal bill will look like vs. $2.99 a month to keep early adapters happy 

MomRocks2462
Tutor
Tutor

Like you I recently purchased two Pro-2 cameras to round out the three I already had so I now have a total of five.  I'm struggling because I'm not all that savvy about cameras and all of the communication regarding EOL.  Therefore, rather than starting a new thread, I'm going to piggyback onto yours and hope I'll get some responses.  I hope you don't mind.

Based on reply number 6, it looks like the EOL has been moved out to 01/01/2025 instead of 01/01/2024.  However, something is happening on 04/01/2023 and I'm unclear of what exactly the impact will be, other than I won't get firmware updates and replacement parts (which I didn't know was an option anyway).  

- Will I still have the 7-days of videos until 01/01/2025?  If not, do I need to subscribe to a plan to get to my videos? 

- How about after 01/01/2025, if I have a subscription will my cameras still work with 7-days worth of videos?

- If I have to purchase new cameras, which I really don't want to do since I just purchased two after already purchasing three prior, are the newer cameras (PRO 4 & PRO 5) similar in size?   I have purchased covers for all of my cameras that look like little bird houses, which if the sizes aren't close I won't be able to use anymore either.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DN82JLB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- Will I be able to use the same size batteries as the PRO 2 or am I going to have to purchase all new batteries as well or will they come with the cameras?  I've also purchased a charging station for my extra batteries so I can replace them immediately when they are getting low. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087Q7NLQH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I feel like I've thrown away hundreds of dollars, have no one to discuss it with (no one to call for support) and it feels awful having to purchase all new supplies (cameras, chargers, batteries, etc)  because they no longer want to support a product we've already paid for...very disappointing and discouraging.  Like someone said via reply 5, I agree that we should all be grandfathered in.  I don't have money to throw away like they are telling me I have to do.

Thank you in advance if you can answer any of my questions / concerns.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@MomRocks2462 wrote:

- Will I still have the 7-days of videos until 01/01/2025?  If not, do I need to subscribe to a plan to get to my videos? 

The free 7 day, 5 camera plan has been grandfathered back in. It is NOT expiring.

- If I have to purchase new cameras, which I really don't want to do since I just purchased two after already purchasing three prior, are the newer cameras (PRO 4 & PRO 5) similar in size? 

You don't HAVE to buy new cameras - that decision is yours. The existing cameras will continue to work. They won't get firmware updates which generally isn't much of a problem (there hasn't been a firmware update since Oct. 2021) as long as your cameras and base continue to work. They're likely out of warranty so that isn't an issue, either. The newer cameras are all larger than the Pro 2 cameras so you might have to find a new hiding solution.

- Will I be able to use the same size batteries as the PRO 2 or am I going to have to purchase all new batteries as well or will they come with the cameras?  I've also purchased a charging station for my extra batteries so I can replace them immediately when they are getting low.

The new cameras do not use the same batteries nor charging station so you'd have to figure that cost into any decision.

You haven't thrown anything away with this EOL. The cameras will continue to work, the cloud storage will continue to work and you can continue to use them as you always have. When devices fail, you'll need to figure out what you'll need to move forward.

MomRocks2462
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you so much!! That is good news!!  Do you know if there will be some formal communication coming out about the changes?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MomRocks2462 wrote:

Do you know if there will be some formal communication coming out about the changes?

You should have received an email around 17 February.  Mine said (in part)

On January 1, 2023, Arlo communicated our updated End of Life Policy addressing how Arlo would support legacy devices as they age. Some customers voiced concern over how they could continue to utilize the remaining life of their legacy product. More specifically, many customers reached out to us to tell us they enjoy the 7 days of rolling cloud video recording provided with legacy devices and don’t want that service to end.

We heard those concerns and as part of our continued commitment to support our Arlo community, we are pleased to share that owners of Arlo EOL products will continue to have access to 7 days of cloud storage. When your EOL device enters the EOL stage on July 1, 2023, your EOL device will keep 7 days of cloud storage at no cost to you. Arlo will also continue to provide critical security updates to your EOL product for up to 1 year after the EOL Effective Date. 

You can see the current EoL policy information here:

MomRocks2462
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you again, so much!!  I did get the email, however, never saw it until you mentioned it.  You have been most helpful and I truly appreciate it!!  🙂

mthugo
Aspirant
Aspirant

one catch I unfortunately just learned... if you do buy new cameras, they will not have the 7 days cloud storage even if you only are below the limit of 5 cameras.  basically, if you add anything newer than the Pro 2 then you have to buy a subscription for that newer camera to get ANY cloud storage.    The solution offered to me from the Arlo chat was to just use local storage, but the VMB4000 base will not allow remote viewing.  You have to actually remove the USB storage from the base and put it into a computer to see any videos.  (absolutely worthless).    I'm remarkably disappointed and will now have to look for old Pro 2 cameras in order to view anything remote.  be wary of buying new cameras to go with the older ones

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@mthugo wrote:

one catch I unfortunately just learned... if you do buy new cameras, they will not have the 7 days cloud storage even if you only are below the limit of 5 cameras. 

That's been true since 2018, so nothing new.  All newer camera models (starting with the Ultra) require a subscription for cloud storage.  Only the legacy cameras on the EoL schedule have the 7-day free storage.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation