Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 Ring around lens/image

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
swpyatt
Aspirant
Aspirant

There is a black ring all the way around the image and it's very distorted (fisheye.) Attached is an image of my Arlo Pro vs. the Arlo Pro 2. 

Helparlo_issue.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
swpyatt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Removing the skin did correct it. I'm still surprised this was not an issue on the original Arlo Pro but the Pro 2 does see it.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

In case you hadn't noticed, none of the Arlo cameras are corrected for curvilenear (fisheye) distortion. Every last one IS a fisheye lens. There's apparently a small difference in focal length between camera models, perhaps explaining the difference in your observations.

swpyatt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes they all have fisheye, but this one has a black ring around the whole lens and that is more concerning.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm having problems seeing what you're talking about.  On the Pro2 picture I see a frame and some black in the corners.  What am I missing? It's like you cropped an image - I'd prefer to see the whole thing.

swpyatt
Aspirant
Aspirant

That was not a very good image unless you knew what you were seeing. Here is a better one pointed straight at a wall.1508936666846.jpg

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

swpyatt,

Do you have a skin with a visor/hood on the camera?

JamesC

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Something is vignetting the view.  Mine doesn't show that at all. There could be an issue with the camera itself (do you have multiple cameras and, if so, do they all show this?) or, as JamesC asks, could be due to something slightly blocking the view.

swpyatt
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC,

It looks like you are correct. I do have an Arlo skin on it. The Arlo Pro 1 does not show the edges of the skin, but it seems the Pro 2 does. I did not even think that would be the issue because of that.

Obsydian
Apprentice
Apprentice

Have the same issue reported TO arlo as always zero response.

I do use the Arlo cover but used it with the Arlo Pro v1 without issue.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you remove the skin does the issue go away?

swpyatt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Removing the skin did correct it. I'm still surprised this was not an issue on the original Arlo Pro but the Pro 2 does see it.

Obsydian
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for that skin confirmation I had a feeling the Pro 2 wider viewing angle caused the issue, but had my cameras spot on and did not want to disturb, was waiting until fitting the outdoor power cables but that has also an issue as Arlo are now saying the outdoor connector is not designed for outdoor use and Amazon US are recalling them.

All in all another increasing list to **bleep** ups, Arlo focused on sales not robust hardware and software, worse still zero inclination to resolve.

Brotham
Apprentice
Apprentice

The Pro 2 cameras definitely have a wider angle of view - I noticed it as soon as I swapped mine out.

A good thing I guess, unless you've invested in covers ...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Can you provide a screenshot of the front of the camera with the skin on? I don't have Pro skins but it seems to be odd that it would affect the whole view since the lens is not centered in the camera. It looks like they do protrude past the front face based on marketing pictures but the screenshots seem like they have equal clipping in all 4 corners.

RaylanC
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi,

I installed my new Arlo Pro 2 today.  I purchased a three pack of black Netgear Arlo Pro skins with the camera.  I too experienced the rounded black corners when viewing the camera output.

I pulled the skin as tight as I could back away from the face of the camera and it got rid of most of the black corners but, I can only assume the dimentions of the AP2 are a tad different that the previous AP.  Yes?

I also noted when looking at the face of the camera with the skin in place, there is a very visible white ring the skin does not cover.  I prefer the camera be concealed as much as possible.  The white ring does not help.  In fact, it drawa attention which is not what I want.

I wasted the purchase of the skins 3 pack but my question is, will there be skins released for the AP2 soon?

Thanks

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation