Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Paulsensei
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can anyone let me know if USB power wall sockets will work to power Arlo Pro 2 cameras (i.e., without using an adaptor at all, wall direct to camera)? I've read that 5v is not enough to keep the battery charged, so would it be a problem? Should we take the battery out?

13 REPLIES 13
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

A 5v usb supply should run the P2 camera ( if enough current ) but as you know will not charge the battery... you can pull the battery out if wanted

( some tests have shown that the P2 cam may charge if the v is a bit higher due to the solar panel only putting out slightly < 6v ... but most usb are pretty tight on specs, 5v is enough to run but not charge )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If the wall outlet supplies > .5A, it should work. It should also charge the battery although some chargers seem to have a problem. YMMV - if you see the battery icon with a lightning bolt, it's charging.

Paulsensei
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the help! The sockets are marked 5v and 3.1 amp. Would that be too high a current?

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Paulsensei wrote:

The sockets are marked 5v and 3.1 amp.

The 3.1 amp label is an indicator of what the outlet will deliver. If something needs only 1.5 amps, for example, that is all it will take.

It just means that your outlet has more than enough, to use a technical term, oomph.

Depending on the design and the circuitry, it may also be a bit less efficient than something designed to deliver 1.5 amps. Bit it is hardly likely to accelerate climate change.

Volts are another matter. They need to be right. Too many and "bang".

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Paulsensei
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the helpful and reassuring  info about amp and volts. We've just installed a new socket with USB ports to power an Arlo Pro 2, but unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work. WIth the battery in, it gives a "charging error" (but keeps working on the battery only) and with the battery removed, it just won't connect and goes offline. 

If I plug the same USB cable into the charging adaptor that came with the set, it starts working again. So the conclusion so far is that providing 5v via USB in itself will not work. Has anyone got any ideas on this one or managed to get it working?

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Paulsensei wrote:

We've just installed a new socket with USB ports to power an Arlo Pro 2, but unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work.

I have not tried mains (I assume) sockets that also do USB.

I have used various third-party adapters to charge, and run, Arlo Pro 2 cameras. It works just fine.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I just tried this one with success both with and without battery (it's charging the battery):

https://www.homedepot.com/p/CE-TECH-6-Outlet-USB-Wall-Tap-Surge-Protector-HDC600WUWH/205893738

Can't speak for any others.

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

@Paulsensei wrote:

Thanks for the helpful and reassuring  info about amp and volts. We've just installed a new socket with USB ports to power an Arlo Pro 2, but unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work. WIth the battery in, it gives a "charging error" (but keeps working on the battery only) and with the battery removed, it just won't connect and goes offline. 

If I plug the same USB cable into the charging adaptor that came with the set, it starts working again. So the conclusion so far is that providing 5v via USB in itself will not work. Has anyone got any ideas on this one or managed to get it working?

Have you verified the new outlet’s USB port is working properly with other devices?

Paulsensei
Aspirant
Aspirant

@st_shaw wrote:

@Paulsensei wrote:

Have you verified the new outlet’s USB port is working properly with other devices?

Yes, it charges iPhones no problem.

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

Ok. Most of the 3.1A chargers are actually one 2.1A port and one 1A port. Did you try both ports (if you have 2)?

Paulsensei
Aspirant
Aspirant

Good call. Will try and report back. Many thanks for the suggestion 🙂

Paulsensei
Aspirant
Aspirant

Have tested both USB sockets with both cameras and I get the same result. The camera live view gives a "charging error" and either switches to battery (if inserted) or goes offline.

I noticed the camera when plugged in to the mains using the adaptor that came with the set (and battery inserted) gets faintly warm. Is this correct?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes. You're running the camera off wall power so the camera stays alive. That's how you get the 3 second lookback, zones and CVR.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation