Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 Power Supply Question.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Wolj
Star
Star

Hi guys,

ok, so I swapped a Swann Smart cam set for the Arlo Pro 2. Chalk and cheese. The Arlo is in a differnent world. Im very impressed. A question for someone wise. One location has no power source- I NEED the zone settings, just wondering if I got a power bank (small rechargable thing usually for phone top ups), connect a solar panel to it to keep it charged and then took the power from that to the Arlo~ would that work as a "power supply" as such to allow the plugged in features? I am open to suggestion, but that would be a huge advancement for me. Then I just need to try and sort out the 30 second lag from cam to phone on live!!! Makes the microphone/speaker a bit of a joke.  Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Unfortunately you must have AC power to have activity zones. Solar panel won't cut it. A powerbank probably won't cut it. You could try I guess but it would need to be a Qualcomm 3.0 fast charge compliant powerbank with the ability to adaptively output 9V. 

The only recognised way is to get a power outlet installed near the mounting location and use the outdoor power adapter. You might also be able to find 3rd party cables that are longer eg 25 feet, but YMMV with those as well as there are mixed reviews about them working and you could possibly void your warranty by using them

Wolj
Star
Star

Well, I was just wondering abou it. You see space is not a problem for me (within reason), but maybe someone could devise a battery for the purpose. So it can supply the current required for the Arlo to think it is mains coneected hence get the powered benefits, and then recharge by solar so it becomes a service free power suppy.

The battery could be attached to the under side of the solar panel for weather proection ....I know I'd buy one or two.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation