Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

ARLO PRO 2 Live Feed Turns Off Motion Detection?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
bufflovehandles
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello, I recently bought a VMS4630P-100NAS 6 camera Arlo Pro 2 System. Its impressive so far. I was wondering if you have motion detection on yet are watching live feed will that turn off off the motion detection recording? I read something about this being the case but wanted to confirm before returning the system.

Maybe someone could also tell me if purchasing subscription CVR would fix this?

I apologize in advance if this question has seen the light of day too much.

5 REPLIES 5
slompochomp
Luminary
Luminary

If your watching the live feed and the camera detects motion you will see the motion detected icon light up, but it does not record. I do not have the CVR plan as of yet but maybe someone elce that does can comment on this.

If You Got Em....I'll Chew Em!

Netgear & Arlo Beta Tester
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
When live viewing, the automatic recording is disabled. You can manually record using the record (red button) icon in the live view screen. CVR will record the whole thing but the camera has to be plugged in to get CVR working.
bufflovehandles
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks jguerdat

So if I had CVR and still did live view it would still record without me having to press record?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
When live viewing, the automated recordings simply won't happen. However, CVR records the whole thing regardless so you can go back and replay as needed. If you want a copy of that you would need to use 3rd party screen capture software to record as CVR plays back - you can't download the CVR video.
tech-rick
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just got off the phone about an hour ago with tech support and asked them some very direct technical questions which went considerably above basic level one support.  The answer is no.  It is not possible to have motion detect and/or audio detect enabled when a particular camera is live streaming and I see some hardware and software issues if they tried.  Keep in mind this is camera specific and any camera on the system that is not live streaming, motion and audio detection will continue to function according to what mode has been configured for that particular camera.  Frankly, I don't see it as that much of an inconvenience and I see the logic in the design.  Motion detection's purpose is so an individual doesn't have to sit and stare at a live feed all day.  Sure, there are some high end systems that can simultaneously do both but more times than not they are integrated with a separate motion sensor system to avoid a single point failure that could take the whole system down.  For a small business or a home Arlo does a very good job and I am happy with mine.  In case anyone thinks I work for Netgear, I don't.  I have a 30 year background in electronics and 20 of that was in military tech.  If anyone is concerned about missing something important, let them get the Continuous Video Recording (CVR) option for a camera in a critical location if they're willing to pay for it.  No product can satisfy everyone's wish list and keep the price within the realm of sanity.  I'm hoping the new Arlo Ultra camera is at least partly backward compatible with the Pro 2 base station but that doesn't mean I will throw my Pro 2 in the trash and start over again if it isn't.  I hope this answers some questions.

Rick

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation