Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
hayaku
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi All,

I have an arlo pro 2 system at my lake cabin which has horrible internet.  So I have a 2TB usb drive hooked up to the base station.  When I'm at the lake house, I put my cell phone up as 4g usb tether to my asus router for internet.  Arlo can record to the usb drive and will upload vid clips to my account's library.  However, when I'm not there and there is no internet, all I see on the USB drives are several files only a few kb in size.  It's like Arlo started to write the video files but just stops?

Anyone know what's going on or how I can fix this?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi hayaku,

Did you select the Safely Eject USB Device within the App? There is a possibility the files were corrupted upon removal. You can try reformatting the USB Drive and test record, Login to the APP or WEB Portal > Select Settings > My Devices > Select the appropriate base station > Local Storage > Select USB Device > Select the safely eject USB device > Wait for the Unmounting USB device progress message to close, then remove the USB device from Base Station.

hayaku
Aspirant
Aspirant

you can't go into the admin website to safely eject when there is no interent available....

is there a way to get to the base station without internet acces?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

hayaku,

You will need to eject the USB device when you are using your Cell phone for internet. The base station does require Internet to access.

hayaku
Aspirant
Aspirant

last weekend when i checked, no internet was available via cell phone at all. 

is there another way to access the base station? if not now, can we request a feature be added to just eject the usb drive?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

hayaku, 

You can suggest a feature to be implemented within our Idea Exchange Board. I have provided the link below. To test your USB Drive you will need to be present at your cabin with internet access. If you would like to contact Arlo Tech Support I will provide the link here - Arlo Tech Support

Arlo Idea Exchange

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You could connect the base to a WiFi extender that's configured to connect to your phone's hotspot. However, you said there was no Internet access on your phone so that would continue to be a problem.

When you take the drive out of the base and connect it to your computer, use the computer utility to check the drive for errors.

hayaku
Aspirant
Aspirant

there is no internet to connect to anywhere at the lake house when both satellite and cell coverage is down.  wifi extenders and cell extenders are useless in this situation. like you said, it won't help when there is no internet available.

yes i did check for drive errors and there were none.  drive is 100% healthy.

WatchDoge
Tutor
Tutor

I am having this exact same problem as well. When the internet is off it only records 2KB blank video headers. This is unacceptable! This system is practically useless for people with mobile hotspots!

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation