Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 Motion Detection/Night Vision/Camera Offline

Discussion stats
cooltraveler
Star
Star

Just replaced 2 of my 4 Arlo Pro cameras with the Pro 2. Couple of observations

1) Motion sensor set at 100 and it is not as sensitive as the Pro. The Pro was so sensitive that I had to dial it down. With Pro I it was able to trigger the camera each time a car passed my house. With the Pro 2 you have to drive on my drive way before it triggers. This is an isse for my application since I am unable to get it to trigger at my mailbox at the end of my driveway like the original Pro was able to do.

2) Night Vision is not as clear as the original Pro

3) While positioning the camera it went offline. Could not figure out how to get it online other than taking the battery out and putting it back in and re-synced.

Seems 2 out of the 3 ar reported issues. I wonder if anyone is having an issue with the motion detection. I have a 45 day return window... if there is no firmware to resolve by then I will be taking it back.

69 REPLIES 69
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Turning up the brightness on your mobile phone helps
tnbwilson
Tutor
Tutor

I actually called Netgear yesterday as I was concerned with this post and others I've found on the Pro 2.

They mentioned that once I got my cameras I could call in if I see any problems with the Night vision, etc.

If you have the cameras I would suggest calling into the support numbers instead of relying on the forums.

Apprentice
Apprentice

That's the standard response. Don't get fooled into thinking you are getting any escalated attention. Just like others with any other problems, you will be connected to L1 support who will be reading scripted responses. You try it and report back to us if you find that to be untrue. 

Apprentice
Apprentice

Additionally, it lets them take the problem "offline" where it will be seen on this forum. No prospective customer will call in to see if there is any problems as part of their pre purchase due diligence, This also eliminates a current customer from corroborating that their problems with the AP2 are isolated. You got used IMO.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Pro 1
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Pro 2
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Pro 2
MichaelRo
Apprentice
Apprentice
I just spoke with customer service and they said they pushed out a firmware update for the Arlo Pro 2 to address the night vision issues. Has anyone applied it and seen it these night vision quality issues are gone?
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
My firmware is 15 483 which is the same one I've had since I got my camera two and a half weeks ago
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I also haven't seen any release notes of any firmware recently
RVP
Star
Star

Wow! Good thing I tumbled on this post.  I just ordered Pro2 with 2cams from Amazon and had enough time to go ahead and canceled the order.  Will look for something else.   

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Are we going to see any firmware updates to help with the night vision issues
tnbwilson
Tutor
Tutor

Wanted to update everyone to let them know I did purchase the 4 camera Arlo Pro 2 set this last weekend and got the cameras installed. Here are some samples from around my house.

Front DaytimeFront DaytimeKitchen NightKitchen NightSide NightSide NightBack of house nightBack of house nightFront NightFront Night

I don't really have a previous setup to compare with but I did want to show some examples. This is on the optimized setting on all cameras.

The system is running the following firmware versions:

Arlo Basestation HW Version: VMB4000r3
Firmware: 1.9.4.0_15548

Cameras HW Version: H3
Firmware: 1.124.1.0_15483

MichaelRo
Apprentice
Apprentice
The company silence on this issue is very disturbing. Is anyone listening??
MelSF
Apprentice
Apprentice

I too (like many) have an issue with night time poor quality !! They sent an email out a couple of days ago, advising there will be a firmware upgrade, BUT... failed to mention what the upgrade fixes!! (Great communicators).

Apprentice
Apprentice

Your kitchen side night is the only decent view IMO. Do you have external lighting there or its it just the cam's IR? What brightness level do you have the cams set to?

Lawenforcer
Guide
Guide

Ok, i have removed the "hoods" and the night vision has improved for me. Ive went the hard route and actually power wired the front cameras so i can get the 3 second look back. Thoughts on the quality? Im a little less satified with the back fdoor camera. Backyard (most problem plagued)Backyard (most problem plagued)

Front DrivewayFront Driveway

Downstairs frontDownstairs front

Front StairsFront Stairs

tnbwilson
Tutor
Tutor

No external lights and the brightness on all of them are the default settings.

Apprentice
Apprentice

IMO removal of the hoods made the quality acceptable. I concur the back door view could be improved but you may also want to put a motion light there (non NG is better). If you prefer get a wide able IR illuminator. The cam reflects off which surfaces, especially white ones, and that post as small as it is is centered to your cam view. IMO if you move it you might get some improvement and may not need all the external lighting and IR.

Apprentice
Apprentice

I meant wide angle not wide able. 

Discussion stats