Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
MightyTuba
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am being threatened, so I wanted to buy an outdoor security system. I was considering another system, but Best Buy salesman upsold the Arlo Pro 2 at more than twice the price. I’m not unhappy, and YES I’ve tried all of the options and tools and read the forums, but after only two days I have some issues and suggestions.
1. Logging in to Arlo using Edge on new HP Windows 10 PC. Page opens then prompts me to update flash. I ALREADY HAVE NEW VERSION OF FLASH. I click “allow” and it kicks me out to log in a second time – EVERY TIME! This is very undesirable if an emergency is occurring. Also flash is outdated tech no one wants to use anymore. I’d called tech support for help and was informed this was unavoidable and I’ll always have to log in twice. Very disappointing!
2. Tested cameras by walking back and forth. One camera recorded about 30 to 60 seconds, but stopped recording even though I was still “in screen” 10 feet from the camera moving around. Other times okay – intermittent. While another camera recorded 10 or 15 minutes of nothing moving. This would be very undesirable if an incident was occurring and the camera stops recording, then unwanted lag time of 30 seconds or more until it re-activates.
3. Notifications every few minutes when wind is blowing. Over 700 in a day. I know this is a sensitivity setting, but I’m worried about turning down the sensitivity from default 80%. (Large yard). And perpetrator would need to be closer and closer to the camera to activate it. Also had to build a new mode just to stop insane amount of email alerts. Suggestion: a simple stop email button would be preferable.
4. If I wish to just check outside, it would be useful to show (like other systems) a 4-way live screen on log in. Instead of having to log in -TWICE- and hit the “live” button, then wait for unwanted lag time for one or all cameras to activate. I would not have time to do this if an incident were occurring. Suggestion: A “panic” button to just start recording on all 4 cameras until I tell it to stop would be useful in an emergency.
5. Best Buy salesman assured me there was an Android app I could install on my Nvidia Shield to view on my TV. He was wrong. There is no android app for Shield – but this is probably a Shield issue. I will contact them. If I use web browser on Shield, I can log in – but then prompted to update flash again. Not possible on Shield which doesn’t use flash – very disappointing. Also no smart TV app.
As I’d stated, I like the Pro 2 system and I am considering signing up for a subscription. At this time I’m undecided whether I want to sign up or exchange for another system. I’d spent a rather large sum for this system, and I am considering purchasing add-on equipment as well, but I’d like to resolve some or all of these issues/limitations before I make my decision. ESPECIALLY THE REPEATING FLASH UPDATE EVERY TIME I LOG IN! Can anyone help? Are there improvements coming that may fix these issues?

10 REPLIES 10
brh
Master
Master

@MightyTuba,

I just went into Edge and if you click on the three dots at the top right of the page then click on Settings then go to Advanced Settings, there is a slider switch to enable/disable Flash.

Also, if you edit the rule for each camera in the Armed Mode, there is a checkbox near the bottom of the page to enable/disable emails.

Brian

MightyTuba
Aspirant
Aspirant

Flash is already on and updated. I even tried turning it off and restarting, then turned flash back on. Phone support says I'll always have to log in twice, nothing they can do.

brh
Master
Master

@MightyTuba,

very strange as it is not happening for me. I also have Block Popups turned off(?).

Maybe someone that uses Edge more than I do can answer this. (P.S. I don't always trust what Customer Support says, although they could be right this time(?)).

Brian

MightyTuba
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for trying B! I have pop-ups blocked because I get loud scam alerts (siren and audio) popping up that my computer is infected and I need to call scam phone number to allow remote access. mmmmm-no! Also, did not realize armed mode was editable. Forums said build a new mode - so I did. IDK about keeping this system or exchanging it. I'm really worried about a threat I'd received, and the UI on this is slow and a bit of a pain...

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

Have you tried a different browser? This flash thing is a pain but it seems to be down to the browser rather than anything Arlo.

@MightyTuba wrote:

Thanks for trying B! I have pop-ups blocked because I get loud scam alerts (siren and audio) popping up that my computer is infected and I need to call scam phone number to allow remote access. mmmmm-no!

It may not be the scam phone number you need to call, but you really need to do something to sort out an infection on your machine.  That prompt smells like something nasty is going on. Arlo can't do anything about that for you.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
MightyTuba
Aspirant
Aspirant

There is nothing nasty going on with my PC. It is functioning normally. This is a repeating pop-up scam that I've verified via research on the web. Even the notification page layout and phone numbers matched. BUT that is nothing about what issues I have with Arlo Pro 2. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The fact that you have to block those pop-ups means you ARE at risk. The computer needs to be cleaned properly before we can make many useful suggestions because we have no idea wha may be going on in the background that could affect your use of Arlo, not to mention who may be gathering your passwords.

As to your specific issues, it sounds like your modes and rules are set to record as long as motion continues. Motion has to be determined by the camera, not you. The sensitivity setting in your rules as well as the need for motion to be across the FOV, not at the cmera. Read the FAQs here on sensitivity setting as well as best camera positiong prctices.

The email notifocation issue is also possibly resolved by camera repositioning. Rather than watching a large view, concentrate on only the important stuff such as the sidewalk leading to your doors. You don't need the street or sky in the view.

Flash is going away. Right now, we have to be patient. It's not up to us to change it, regardless of whether it's a good idea or not.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@jguerdat wrote:

The fact that you have to block those pop-ups means you ARE at risk. The computer needs to be cleaned properly before we can make many useful suggestions because we have no idea wha may be going on in the background that could affect your use of Arlo, not to mention who may be gathering your passwords.

Indeed. It is worrying that someone can believe this stuff.

This bit is seriously worrying.

This is a repeating pop-up scam that I've verified via research on the web. Even the notification page layout and phone numbers matched. BUT that is nothing about what issues I have with Arlo Pro 2.

"Research via the web" is just the sort of thing that delivers fake contact numbers for Arlo support.

How can I avoid Arlo support scams?

If I saw those popups I would shut down my PC immediately, disconnect it from the Internet and put some serious effort into fixing things.

Arlo would be the least of my worries.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
MightyTuba
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've always used pop-up blocker on all my PC's just because of this kind of situation. The scam I'd mentioned is not a logging into Arlo thing. It happens randomly when I'm attempting to view other pages. The last time was visiting Amazon and the web address it sent me to was not amazon main, but Amazon with other "fishy" sounding extensions after the first slash (/).  I've cleaned my PC and always run a couple of security programs that I use to scan and clean regularly. I've never encountered stolen passwords or other ID theft issues. But malicious pop-ups are out there in great numbers, and unavoidable. Usually blocked by my pop-up blocker. I will not disable it. BUT - Back to my main issues are the repeating flash updates causing me to log in twice, always. And the slow UI that takes minutes to pull up a particular camera "live" (i.e. if someone rings the "non-Arlo" bell at my gate), even on my S10 phone. By the time I get that camera up to live view, the person is gone or leaving. I was thinking of purchasing another system in the beginning that was not cloud based. It was DVR based with constant live view and 2TB that I could expand with a large external drive. With that much space CVR may be possible without additional fee. I may still purchase it anyway so that I can compare the functionality of the two systems. Store personnell down-talked this other system and sold me on the ease of use of the Arlo. So IDK if I'm going to keep Arlo or not at this point. I view Arlo as not a bad system, but there's room for improvement and price point was an issue as well.

MightyTuba
Aspirant
Aspirant

One more issue I forgot in my previous post is Nvidia Shield compatability. There's a post I saw from Arlo that says they're now compatible, and a multitude of youtube videos that state I can view my Arlo cams on my "dumb" TV using the google assistant and/or chromecast built into my Shield. So far all of my many attempts to view Arlo on Shield have failed. This would be a great function if my gate bell rings, and I can switch my Shield from a movie to live cam, just so I can see who's at my gate... Any suggestions there? If my two or three issues with Arlo can be solved, I would have no problem keeping the Arlo, subscribing to your service and purchasing additional hardware.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation