Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
egjergji
Guide
Guide

I went to change the battery on my Arlo Pro 2 camera.  I've used this camera for about 2 years now and never had any issues.  As I inserted the new battery, the camera LED started to flash red and blue repeatedly.  I thought maybe I didn't load the battery right, so I pulled it out and put it in again.  The LED flashed blue and went off.  I thought this was a normal behavior of the connected camera, so I walked away. 

Later I realized the camera was offline in my app.  After going back to reinsert the battery, I found that the device would no longer respond to Sync button, nor is there any other reset button on the device.  At first I thought maybe the battery was bad, so I put in a different fully charged battery.  This still did not resolve my issue.  So, I started to research to find out what may have happened, only to learn that the red and blue lights mean a Firmware update was active.  Arlo had initiated a Firmware update, which happened right as I inserted my new battery. 

I called support to explain and see what fix they have for this situation.  However, support did not help me in any way, because they said the camera was over 1 year old.  I explained to them that nothing had made my aware a Firmware update was occurring and that starting it right as I had changed the battery did not seem proper timing.  Most people would see red blinking lights as a problem, and would probably behave the same way that I did.  Support, again was not able to help and Arlo did not take any responsibility with the product.  

So, I hope this serves as a word of caution to the rest of you out there, although I'm afraid most will read this after it's happened to them.  Now, I have a perfectly decent camera hardware with broken firmware, and the only advice from support was to throw it away and purchase a new one. With $179 price tag for me to purchase a new camera it seems like a great opportunity for Arlo to be negligent in product design and Firmware updates that break your unit.  

The cameras need to have a reset button in case a Firmware install fails, or an ability to revert to previous Firmware should it ever fail to update it.  In my opinion and Arlo should own up some responsibility for what happened to my camera.  

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, unfortunately you may have bricked it...  tho I would also try a few more time and also just try the ac adapter without battery.

Good to give a warning to others... but at least you can save it if you need parts as there is no repair service either

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Erilekn
Apprentice
Apprentice
Im sorry for your problem. I never replace battery on any device when its power on. Shut it down and restart when battery is replace. I know it's too late for you, but for Evertons else.
egjergji
Guide
Guide
There is not a power button.
egjergji
Guide
Guide
I appreciate the positive response, and I did try everything to bring it back, including just powering it on with just the cable plugged in. Ultimately, since I now needed to purchase another camera I decided to get a full box of 6 new Pro 2 cameras instead since they were on sale. I figure this way I have plenty and will cover more rooms and areas around the house. Some form of concession from Arlo would have been appreciated though...
Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation