Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Using Arlo Pro 2 from USA in Israel. Power adapter and battery questions.

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
Jw51
Aspirant
Aspirant

Looking to buy the Arlo Pro 2 in the US for use in Israel.

From what I understand, the cameras themselves should be fine as they are battery-powered. But the base can be an issue.

I don't care much whether the paid subscriptions will work as the free 7 day storage works in Israel. Therefore, my questions are:

1. Assuming the base doesn't convert automatically to 240v, will a replacement power adapter solve the issue? If so, is it a standard power adapter or do I need to go somewhere special to get it?
2. How do I charge the batteries? Do I need to buy anything extra, and if so, will that work automatically in 240v?
3. Anything else that is critical to be aware that may cause an issue being in Israel?

Thanks!

18 REPLIES 18
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Jw51 wrote:

1. Assuming the base doesn't convert automatically to 240v, will a replacement power adapter solve the issue? If so, is it a standard power adapter or do I need to go somewhere special to get it?

Why assume? General experience is that US adapters work fine in other countries. I have used around half a dozen US adapters on 240 Volts. Not one has gone bang.

@Jw51 wrote:
2. How do I charge the batteries? Do I need to buy anything extra, and if so, will that work automatically in 240v?

It's just USB. Your Arlo adapters should work.  But is this charging in or out of the camera?

@Jw51 wrote:

3. Anything else that is critical to be aware that may cause an issue being in Israel?

No comment.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The bases really use 12vdc... so you would need an ac adapter that puts out same.  12v/1.3a/center positive coaxial plug

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@TomMac wrote:

The bases really use 12vdc... so you would need an ac adapter that puts out same.  12v/1.3a/center positive coaxial plug

Or try the one that comes in the box.

As I said earlier, I have tried several US adaptors on 240V.  No problems.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Jw51
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm confused, all the other posts I've seen say the base does NOT convert from 110 to 220. You're saying I should ignore what it says and anyways plug it in to 220?
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Jw51 wrote:
I'm confused, all the other posts I've seen say the base does NOT convert from 110 to 220.

So, put me out of my misery and tell em where these posts are. It is impossible to comment on vague rumours. If it is "all the other posts" you've seen, then you clearly missed the steady trickle of messages  reporting success with "imported" adapters.

@Jw51 wrote:
You're saying I should ignore what it says and anyways plug it in to 220?

I am not saying you should ignore anything. I am telling you what I have done and what other people have reported.

I have plugged several Arlo adapters rated at 120V into 240V sockets – and many more from Netgear, which originally made Arlo stuff – not one has failed.

If you don't want to risk it, just by a third party adapter. Any generic adapter will work, as long as it has the right volts, enough amps and a tip with the right (+/-) polarity and dimensions.

When it comes to USB, the choice is even larger. You don't have to worry about the tip and polarity.

Just another user
NewfieDrool
Luminary
Luminary

Power supplies have labels for good reason. My Arlo label clearly states 100 - 240v 50/60Hz 1.0amp.

most electrical devices like laptops, MP3 players or whatever tend to be ok where as heaters for example will not. If you follow the label the manufacturers place on the unit you will be fine.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@NewfieDrool wrote:

Power supplies have labels for good reason.

And one reason is to meet local regulations on safety and other stuff. If it costs money, or takes effort, to certify something as being capable of 240V when you don't need to do it why bother? Just stick a 120V label on the thing even if it can work at 240V.

This has nothing to do with the design or construction of the device. It is simply a regulatory thing.

The US  is rare in using 120V mains. Most countries use 240V. From the manufacturers point of view, why bother to have two production lines? (I doubt if Arlo makes these things.) Just make one model and leave it to the customer to specify the labels.

As I said, I have used many Arlo and Netgear adapters labelled as ~120V and not one has blown a gasket. And that includes some heavy duty adapters running juice hungry devices.

Just another user
NewfieDrool
Luminary
Luminary

I agree totally but that’s regs for you and yes the power supply on mine shows it’s fine to use. 

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

Some recent Arlo stuff has come with an adapter that has various exchangeable plugs. Simply clip in the one that fits at your end.

With luck that will be a growing trend.

Just another user
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@NewfieDrool wrote:

Power supplies have labels for good reason. My Arlo label clearly states 100 - 240v 50/60Hz 1.0amp.

The net here is that all Arlo adapters will work at 100 - 240v 50/60Hz even if their label doesn't say that.   They just didn't include the full spec for some adapters that were intended for the US market.  I believe they changed that later on, and that the new adapters all have the full spec on the label.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

I believe they changed that later on, and that the new adapters all have the full spec on the label.

That's good news. 

My spares are in a box and I have no way of telling what order they arrived in.

I do have serial numbers for various ~120V things that survived 240V.

Just another user
NewfieDrool
Luminary
Luminary

It is good news. Can’t beat a standard. 
NG do make a few hiccups though, we don’t want to see another XR500 comedy 😂

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@NewfieDrool wrote:

NG do make a few hiccups though, we don’t want to see another XR500 comedy 😂

Netgear of course is no longer involved.

I do want to clarify that I don't work for either Arlo or Netgear, and that while I believe the information I provided is correct, that doesn't mean that Arlo will do a warranty replacement of an adapter labeled for 120 volts if it fails with 240 volt current.

NewfieDrool
Luminary
Luminary

I don’t think they are out quite yet as it was Arlo’s European commercial operations that was sold.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@NewfieDrool wrote:

I don’t think they are out quite yet as it was Arlo’s European commercial operations that was sold.

Definitely out.

The Netgear/Arlo divorce was more than a year ago, when there was an IPO for Arlo, turning it into a separate venture.

The deal you refer to was Arlo's sale of its European business to Verisure:

Arlo | Press Release | Verisure

Hard to know exactly what that entails, but it seems to be a marketing thing.  Arlo still creates and makes the stuff, while Verisure does the selling.

This will include marketing and distribution of Arlo products and services, the Arlo brand in Europe, and Arlo’s existing installed base in Europe.

Just another user
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

@NewfieDrool wrote:

Definitely out.

The Netgear/Arlo divorce was more than a year ago, when there was an IPO for Arlo, turning it into a separate venture.

https://investor.arlo.com/press-releases/press-release-details/2018/Arlo-Announces-Completion-of-Spi...

NewfieDrool
Luminary
Luminary

Such 2d thinking going on . Read up why the split and look at the investment coming in to Arlo and who else will benefit. Come on guys it’s easy to work out why both parties benefit from the split and deal.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@NewfieDrool wrote:

Such 2d thinking going on . Read up why the split and look at the investment coming in to Arlo and who else will benefit. Come on guys it’s easy to work out why both parties benefit from the split and deal.

I agree that blaming recent issues on the split itself doesn't make sense.

Though there were technical issues related to the split - for instance, the app had to be re-issued with Arlo certficates, and the Arlo cloud had to switch to a new domain.  Those particular issues are resolved now (remaining app problems aren't linked to the domain change itself).

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation