Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Chamois3563
Aspirant
Aspirant

Since it is impossible to get in touch with anyone at Arlo, my options are this forum and various product rating portals such as Trustpilot and Google.  I have attached several photos of my Arlo Pro 2 that literally burst into flames and as you can see, the ceiling wood material was scorched and could have caught fire and burned the house down.  Has anyone else had this spontaneous combustion happen to them?  The battery is obviously the problem, and it was an Arlo-sourced battery, but now I am out a camera, and I am worried about the safety of my other 3 cameras.  I am going to write this up for as many product rating portals as I can find due to the safety issues...scary!

IMG_0135.jpgIMG_0136.jpgIMG_0137.jpgIMG_0134.jpg

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While it appears to be rare, any device, including Arlo cameras, that use a li-ion battery can do this. That's why you can't check battery-powered devices for flights. There have been a few reports of similar issues over the years but not many.  I don't know if Arlo would be interested in checking the camera out for failure analysis. @JamesC ?

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

I wonder if Arlo will point the finger at the third-party device we can see in your pictures.

"Your charger is illegal" is a common response when electric scooter batteries burst into flames and kill people.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

That item may just be a cover from a third party.... shouldn't have effected the camera to this result

Over the many years, I remember only 2 cameras having issue similar.  They were using non-arlo batteries.

( the batteries did not have circuit protect fuse built in )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@TomMac wrote:

Over the many years, I remember only 2 cameras having issue similar.  They were using non-arlo batteries.

( the batteries did not have circuit protect fuse built in )

That's why I mentioned it.

We don't know what that add on was.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

It's clearly a Wasserstein skin, so not relevant.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

It's clearly a Wasserstein skin, so not relevant.

But that could also suggest a third party battery.

I was just raising an issue that, without more details, may or may not be irrelevant.

Only @Chamois3563 can rule that out.

Just another user
Chamois3563
Aspirant
Aspirant

No charger attached...just battery powered.  Some of the comments have me thinking about the batteries.  As far as I can recall, all my batteries are Arlo batteries, but over the years a non-Arlo-sourced battery could have snuck in there.

Latina535
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi There, one out of 4 Arlo Pro 2 cameras  caught on fire as well. I am so upset worried that the same will happen to other three cameras. I need some to get back to me. Was there a recall for the Arlo Pro 2?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No recall. There have been a few reported fires over the years but not a large number. Remember that these use a li-ion battery which can have issues like this just as with cell phones or any other device that uses the same sort of battery. Hopefully only minimal damage occurred but the camera is toast.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation